About to lose our old girl....

westwall

WHEN GUNS ARE BANNED ONLY THE RICH WILL HAVE GUNS
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2010
Nevada
We have been on pins and needles here for the last week. Our old girl cat is about to leave us. She is 22 and has intestinal cancer and began to noticeably fade about 2 weeks ago. She now will only take water. She would drink a little milk up to a couple of days ago but no more.

Now she is just marking time. One thing that I do find interesting is our new boy cat is spending a lot of time with her, just being around her as if to comfort her. They never got along when she was well but now she tolerates him. Interesting.

Your cat has lived a very long life.

When my last cat was ill, I spent weeks giving her IVs to keep her hydrated. Kitty valium to give her the munchies so she would eat (although we did have some moments of hysterical relief laughter when she almost tipped head first into her food dish).
Then one day, at IV time, she just looked at me and I knew she was done fighting the battle.
Animals do have a way of comforting each other...and comforting us humans also.

Good that you have had her for those long years. Any cat that makes it into those years has been well cared for.

Respect.

When my last cat was ill, I spent weeks giving her IVs to keep her hydrated. Kitty valium to give her the munchies so she would eat (although we did have some moments of hysterical relief laughter when she almost tipped head first into her food dish).
Then one day, at IV time, she just looked at me and I knew she was done fighting the battle.

And we comfort them. :)

Last edited:
We have been on pins and needles here for the last week. Our old girl cat is about to leave us. She is 22 and has intestinal cancer and began to noticeably fade about 2 weeks ago. She now will only take water. She would drink a little milk up to a couple of days ago but no more.

Now she is just marking time. One thing that I do find interesting is our new boy cat is spending a lot of time with her, just being around her as if to comfort her. They never got along when she was well but now she tolerates him. Interesting.

Cats can be interesting this way.

Good that you have had her for those long years. Any cat that makes it into those years has been well cared for.

Respect.

And we comfort them. :)

That goes without saying, eh?

I miss my kitty. She was 20 when she went. Died in my arms as I was taking her to the vet. My condolences on your impending loss. It's not easy losing a loved one.

That goes without saying, eh?

Well then, I just like saying some things that go without saying. My writing is often like that so I can't argue the point.

Just repeat it in other words. :razz:

i am so sorry.....it is time to let her go.....i bagged my cat for months.....with fluids....i loved that cat.....i should have let go long before i did....5 vets and hundreds of dollars could not save him.

Not that it's much consolation but 22 years for a cat is really the absolute maximum.

We lost a 21 yr old cat a couple years ago to the same type of cancer. It sucks but really the cat is probably suffering you should release her from her pain.

Not that it's much consolation but 22 years for a cat is really the absolute maximum.

We lost a 21 yr old cat a couple years ago to the same type of cancer. It sucks but really the cat is probably suffering you should release her from her pain.

We've talked about that long and hard. She doesn't seem to be in any pain. If she were I would help her over but so far she exhibits no symptoms of pain at all. She sits in her favourite window in her bed and watches the world.

Wow 22 years is a long life for a cat...She was blessed to have a loving home...

funny-pictures-cat-hugs-stuffed-bear.jpg

Last edited:

We've talked about that long and hard. She doesn't seem to be in any pain. If she were I would help her over but so far she exhibits no symptoms of pain at all. She sits in her favourite window in her bed and watches the world.

Keep a close eye on her. If she stops eating and drinking..it's probably a good time to say goodbye.

Keep a close eye on her. If she stops eating and drinking..it's probably a good time to say goodbye.

She stopped eating a few days ago but still drinks water. And yes, she is allways with someone.

(((hugs)))

My Ma had a Cornish Rex named "Lady Astor". I went withe her to get that cat in 80 something when it was a kitten. She would nurse and care for kittens of different breeds and from litters that were not hers. Real cool animal. When she was pit to sleep, every one in the family was there. It was like the passing of an elder family member. I hope your cats last days and hours on earth are good one. Sounds like she is taking it all in.

She stopped eating a few days ago but still drinks water. And yes, she is allways with someone.

She's going the best way possible: surrounded by love.

Good kitty.

• Thanks
Reactions: Jos

Watch her carefully. Bones is dead on about and skull are dead on about relieving the suffering soonwer than later. I waited about four days too long for our sweety, and I still regret it. If she is simply taking water and only licking, if that, anything else, she is nearly there.

I am sad with you.

Forum List

Back