Abortion, birth control, sex education...

Dec 5, 2006
Outside Tulsa, Oklahoma
Personally, I have nothing against the use of birth control pills. A lot of other Christians (I am one myself) think that BC is wrong, but I see it as a tool to prevent abortions. A lot of religious people seem to think that BCP's kill babies, but they actually prevent conception. Really what they do is prevent ovulation, so when the sperm gets there, there's nothing for it to meet up with. There's nothing morally wrong with that, folks. I am opposed to infanticidal drugs like RU-486...those are definitely abortive. If people used BCP's, there would be no babies to kill.

On sex education: What I am definitely opposed to in this area are the people who give condoms to 12-13 year old boys instead of teaching them abstinence. A lot of liberals bitch about that because teaching kids to wait is somehow forcing "religion" on them. I realize a lot of kids this age have many misconceptions (no pun intended) about sex, like, "you can't get pregnant if you have sex on your period." WRONG! Sex education should be just that---education---rather than orgies that encourgage sexual activity amongst 6th graders.

However, on the issue of Sex Ed, a lot of private schools don't do a good job (particularly Christian ones from my experience). But you overexaggerate what many schools do in Sex Ed (I've been to public school Sex Ed and private school Sex Ed) and I've talked to others who have too. That is more a myth than anything.

Personally, I have nothing against the use of birth control pills. A lot of other Christians (I am one myself) think that BC is wrong, but I see it as a tool to prevent abortions. A lot of religious people seem to think that BCP's kill babies, but they actually prevent conception.

Birth control is only one of many options and every person who is considering whether to have sex or not should be aware of those options and the results of their actions and choices. I am tired of Republicans trying to prevent other people from taking responsibility and accountability for their actions.

Really what they do is prevent ovulation, so when the sperm gets there, there's nothing for it to meet up with. There's nothing morally wrong with that, folks. I am opposed to infanticidal drugs like RU-486...those are definitely abortive. If people used BCP's, there would be no babies to kill.

It could possibly be argued based solely on Christian scriptures and tradition that abortion is immoral yet according to Jewish scriptures and traditions it is sometimes required that a child be aborted as late as in the last trimester. It is one thing to believe the way you do yet another to attempt to impose that belief on others. What is immoral and what isn't is best left to the woman and her family who will make the right decision in consultation with their doctors and religious leaders. It is dangerous territory for one belief to predominate and I doubt very much that you would want Halachic to govern your choice.

On sex education: What I am definitely opposed to in this area are the people who give condoms to 12-13 year old boys instead of teaching them abstinence. A lot of liberals bitch about that because teaching kids to wait is somehow forcing "religion" on them.

The majority of liberals believe that every child should be taught abstinence in connection with sex education and the proper use of birth control and condoms so that if they do make the decision to not choose abstinence you do not have un-wanted pregnancies that result in unnecessary abortions and a breakup of the family unit. It has nothing to do with forcing religion on others and more to do with preventing access to the necessary information. A lot of these decisions are going to be made as a result of parenting and not teaching abstinence in schools and for whatever reason we do not need more children having un-safe sex simply because people think that "abstinence only" education is the way to go. So it isn't "instead" of teaching abstinence instead it is in "addition to" teaching abstinence that liberals support providing those who are going to have sex with protection. For liberals it has always been about providing the necessary information and tools to make informed choices. I know of no liberal who opposes teaching abstinence. In fact, in a perfect world that would be what every person who isn' married would choose but this isn't a perfect world and only idiots would leave people unprepared for their choices. There are studies that have been done that have shown that children in abstinence groups are as likely to have sex as those who are not.

I realize a lot of kids this age have many misconceptions (no pun intended) about sex, like, "you can't get pregnant if you have sex on your period." WRONG! Sex education should be just that---education---rather than orgies that encourgage sexual activity amongst 6th graders.

You are a pervert. I am a liberal and I do not want my children have sex in the 6th grade and only a twisted fuck would think that this is what teaching children all the facts involved. Only complete morons would say to children, "abstinence, abstinence, abstinence" and then when the child ignores the teaching and has sex and gets pregnant or contracts a disease blame the child. The majority of sex education and the teachings of morals take place in the home and public schools are there to provide general education and the information to make the correct choice yet just like parents schools cannot be with children 24 hours, 7 days a week and cannot ultimately make the decision for them. If they have been taught correct values and norms than they may make the correct choice but if they do not make that choice conservatives ideology would put them in danger of pregnancy and diseases.

Forum List

Back