Aaaaand We're Back...

Canon Shooter

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2020
We finally got on the road on Tuesday, August 2, at around 7pm (only six hours later than our originally planned time). We drove until around 8pm Wednesday night, when my buddy and I had both hit a wall and could no longer drive. Even after getting four hours sleep while the other drove, the wheel can suck the life out of you in a hurry.

We finally arrived at our campground in Rapid City, about a half hour or so from Sturgis. We opted to avoid the large campgrounds like Buffalo Chip and Full Throttle, as there could be upwards of 25,000 people camping there at any one time. Our campground, between full hook-up sites like ours, cabins and primitive This was my first time going there and it was a trip. We did side trips outside of Sturgis; Custer National Park and Mount Rushmore were two of the better ones. But the true star was Main Street in Sturgis.

I'm still culling through thousands of photos, but I thought I'd go ahead and get some posted.

The Needles Highway:

cnp07.jpg
cnp08.jpg

cnp04.jpg
cnp03.jpg

The Needles Highway is a great ride which, frankly, rivals the Tail of The Dragon, and its main features are rock tunnels which can accommodate traffic in only one direction at a time. The top two photos show people waiting their turn to go through a tunnel.

This is one of the more popular rides.

The Iron Horse Saloon (Sturgis):

hb03.jpg
hb01.jpg

The Iron Horse Saloon is huge; much bigger than the one in Daytona. Their outdoor venue on Main Street will accommodate up to 5,000 concert goers. At this year's rally, the band "Hairball" performed several times during the week. If you get a chance, check them out. They play only 1980's rock. They've got two lead singers and two bass players. At different points throughout the performance, one singer will walk off stage and, while he's getting dressed up as, say, Alice Cooper, another is getting dressed up as David Lee Roth or Paul Stanley of KISS. One bass player will be playing while dressed up as Michael Anthony as the other is morphing into Gene Simmons.

And the musicianship is phenomenal.

Deadwood:

dw05.jpg
dw07.jpg

dw11.jpg
dw12.jpg

Deadwood's only about a half hour from Sturgis, and could almost be considered their own bike rally. Harley Davidson takes over the town square with concerts and other events, and bikes of all make and model line the main drag.

Mount Rushmore:

mr03.jpg
mr04.jpg

mr07.jpg
mr08.jpg

It really needs no introduction. George, Tom, Teddy and Abe carved into the Black Hills. Originally they busts were supposed to be to the waists, but funding ran out. As you might suspect, this is one of the more popular rides to take during the rally.

I'll get more edited and posted. I'm limited to how many photos I can put in each post, so I'll do multiples.

Bottom line, regardless of what you ride, or if you even ride at all (many, in fact, do not), the Sturgis Black Hills Motorcycle Rally is an absolute blast...

Thread locked temporarily to clean out off topic and responses to off topic.

Thread locked temporarily to clean out off topic and responses to off topic.
Thread now reopened on in Travel Forum with subject being the Sturgis Black Hills Motorcycle Rally, a major event in a scenic and historic part of the United States. Stay on topic. Enjoy the thread and photography, as I do.

Thread now reopened on in Travel Forum with subject being the Sturgis Black Hills Motorcycle Rally, a major event in a scenic and historic part of the United States. Stay on topic. Enjoy the thread and photography, as I do.

Thank you...

Forum List

Back