A Warning From A Russian Journalist

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
It's surprising more haven't sought asylum, being a reporter in Russia has become very dangerous:

http://comment.independent.co.uk/commentators/article2614548.ece

Yelena Tregubova: Why I fled Putin's Russia. And why the West must appease him no longer
An open letter to the G8 from the best-selling author and prominent critic of the Putin regime
Published: 05 June 2007

I have personal experience of Vladimir Putin's regime and the way the Russian President operates. I have been forced to seek asylum in Britain for criticising the Kremlin as an independent journalist. I have come to realise that to return to my homeland would be suicidal for me.

But this letter is not about me. I am writing to you because I fear that a tragedy is befalling Russia, with the restrictions on political and personal freedoms worsening every day. Having done away with the domestic opposition, Putin, on the eve of the G8 summit, has now decided to deal with the external "enemies".

He has threatened to aim Russian missiles at targets in Europe once again, just like in the Cold War, and has warned of a nuclear arms race. It is now clear that the escalation of aggression by Kremlin is the direct result of the policy of appeasement pursued by Western leaders who, during the seven years of Putin's rule, have turned a blind eye to his lynching of the opposition, the press, NGOs and all democratic institutions in Russia.

There has been no single example in history of a dictator who, sooner or later, did not become a danger to both his close and distant neighbours.

Oh, the bolded brings to mind Chavez.

New Topics

Forum List

Back