A very serious thread about race relations

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
Is there anyone here, or does anyone here know of anyone, who wants to see race relations improve?

No, I don't mean "beat" the other "side". No, I don't mean punishing the other side for their opinions. No, I'm not talking about the political angles, particularly pointing the finger and blaming the other guy.

I mean, is anyone aware of anyone whose top priority is better, more open, more positive, more civil, more constructive, more fruitful human relationships between the races?

Dead serious question. Examples would be great. Links would be great.

Is there anyone here, or does anyone here know of anyone, who wants to see race relations improve?

No, I don't mean "beat" the other "side". No, I don't mean punishing the other side for their opinions. No, I'm not talking about the political angles, particularly pointing the finger and blaming the other guy.

I mean, is anyone aware of anyone whose top priority is better, more open, more positive, more civil, more constructive, more fruitful human relationships between the races?

I know some individuals, but as long as we have a media that magnifies differences instead of encouraging commonalities, race relations will only deteriorate.

When an authoritarian brand of identity politics replaced liberalism as the guiding principle of the left, the die was cast. Liberalism encourages a color-blind society while this new leftist authoritarianism is all about color.

I know some individuals, but as long as we have a media that magnifies differences instead of encouraging commonalities, race relations will only deteriorate.

When an authoritarian brand of identity politics replaced liberalism as the guiding principle of the left, the die was cast. Liberalism encourages a color-blind society while this new leftist authoritarianism is all about color.
It may be that there is a desire for improved race relations under the surface for some, I just don't see it.

I don't see a connection between these behaviors and anything that could be construed as constructive.

Until each "group" stops trying to gain some advantage from their status or identity, we are stuck with our current racial paradigm. Gone is the melting pot, and it has been replaced with the layer cake model, with each layer fighting to be on top. What's worse is we keep coming up with more and more layers, and each division fights to claim it's place at the top of the pity pole.

Most hate is taught by what children hear or taught very young by their parents or a traumatic experience growing up.
And with some mental illness individuals who slip though the cracks and are not treated.

Most history books do not tell the truth in school with many of our history lessons , some are not even educated.
So much hate comes out of ignorance.

I do not think many black people are looking for improved race relations. I think we are simply looking to be RESPECTED, which blacks have never been in this country. From respect comes improved relationships.

Most hate is taught by what children hear or taught very young by their parents or a traumatic experience growing up.
And with some mental illness individuals who slip though the cracks and are not treated.

Most history books do not tell the truth in school with many of our history lessons , some are not even educated.
So much hate comes out of ignorance.

I think you have to divide what we are calling "hate" into two different forms. The first is the learned hate, the virulent hate of actual believers in the superiority of one race/ and the subsequent belief in the inferiority of other races. That i agree is a learned viewpoint.

There is, however, the primal human apprehension when it comes to "different" or "other" that we all posses. Be it a reaction to things outside our normal day to day existence or differences in race, sexuality, or gender. That level of "hate" really doesn't elevate to the first type, but to me it is more primal and genetic. Luckily its far more easy to overcome, as you don't have to like others, just tolerate them to overcome it.

The only race the matters is "the Human race".

Any other "race" division is silly.

I judge people based on their Actions and Behavior.

Not their skin color or "race".

problem solved!

:rofl:

I do not think many black people are looking for improved race relations. I think we are simply looking to be RESPECTED, which blacks have never been in this country. From respect comes improved relationships.
I can see that, that's close enough. The question will be how much it's going to take. Most likely a person thing, I suspect.

The problem is that there are so many working so hard to keep everyone angry, that's working against all of us.

it has nothing to do with the media.

saying... oooohhhhhh....don't talk about the white supremacists...... is enabling them.

good going rightwingnuts!

So disrespected that America voted in a black man as President.
Cant guarantee respect from individuals.

I can see that, that's close enough. The question will be how much it's going to take. Most likely a person thing, I suspect.

The problem is that there are so many working so hard to keep everyone angry, that's working against all of us.

I understand what you're saying. but being quiet in the face of bigotry isn't what's necessary.

and standing up to bigots isn't exacerbating the problem.

the right's inexplicable defense of the bigots is what is exacerbating the problem. if everyone stood up to the scum, they'd crawl back into their holes......which is where they lived until a political candidate/now president enabled them.

the difference is, in the old days, the orange one would have been marginalized like George Wallace was. apparently after eight years of a black president, the hate-filled pond scum feel enabled by this guy. and don't say no, there is a reason david duke a) reminded trump who made him president' and b) thanked him.

I think you have to divide what we are calling "hate" into two different forms. The first is the learned hate, the virulent hate of actual believers in the superiority of one race/ and the subsequent belief in the inferiority of other races. That i agree is a learned viewpoint.

There is, however, the primal human apprehension when it comes to "different" or "other" that we all posses. Be it a reaction to things outside our normal day to day existence or differences in race, sexuality, or gender. That level of "hate" really doesn't elevate to the first type, but to me it is more primal and genetic. Luckily its far more easy to overcome, as you don't have to like others, just tolerate them to overcome it.

I agree Marty, I had a class on this and so many things that we do without knowing it are in the subconscious part of the brain...
I once saw a show on Donahue in the early 90's I think..
And their were families of the skin heads ( I think they called themselves ) anyway, little children screaming hate to anyone not white, gays, ect while holding up bibles while their dumb ass parents cheered them on.

The parents Donahue interviewed were uneducated and dumb as a doorknob.

I understand what you're saying. but being quiet in the face of bigotry isn't what's necessary.

the right's inexplicable defense of the bigots is what is exacerbating the problem. if everyone stood up to the scum, they'd crawl back into their holes......which is where they lived until a political candidate/now president enabled them.

the difference is, in the old days, the orange one would have been marginalized like George Wallace was. apparently after eight years of a black president, the hate-filled pond scum feel enabled by this guy. and don't say no, there is a reason david duke a) reminded trump who made him president' and b) thanked him.
When I talk to a Trump supporter about his (pick an adjective, I'm out) behaviors, their argument is that it's time someone stood up to "the establishment".

The blazingly obvious flaw in that thinking is the assumption that the way he's doing it is the only way.

I don't agree with them, and I don't agree that what we're seeing is the only way to heal racial divisions. I think we're all better than that.

I agree Marty, I had a class on this and so many things that we do without knowing it are in the subconscious part of the brain...
I once saw a show on Donahue in the early 90's I think..
And their were families of the skin heads ( I think they called themselves ) anyway, little children screaming hate to anyone not white, gays, ect while holding up bibles while their dumb ass parents cheered them on.

The parents Donahue interviewed were uneducated and dumb as a doorknob.

We should be thankful that our current crop of budding Hitlers are usually as bright as a 1 watt bulb. However as someone once, said there are always little budding Hitlers around, the key is to not give them a Weimar situation that allows them to bloom.

What I mean is that people who are against racism shouldn't create a situation where people who are overcoming their fear of "other" decide the "other" really is out to get them, and become more recipient to the messages of the actual hard core believing racists.

Right now when anti-racists label anyone who disagrees with them on anything as racists, they create a Weimar situation.

saying... oooohhhhhh....don't talk about the white supremacists...... is enabling them.

I'm not a right winger you silly girl.

I am simply older and wiser.

When I talk to a Trump supporter about his (pick an adjective, I'm out) behaviors, their argument is that it's time someone stood up to "the establishment".

The blazingly obvious flaw in that thinking is the assumption that the way he's doing it is the only way.

I don't agree with them, and I don't agree that what we're seeing is the only way to heal racial divisions. I think we're all better than that.

His way was the only option we had in the last election. A South Park eloquently described, we had a choice between a Giant Douche and a Turd Sandwich.

I went with Giant Douche.

I'm not quite sure how anyone who made half his appointments from Goldman Sachs and the other half for their contacts with Russia is fighting 'the establishment".

and one doesn't need to be a racist piece of garbage to oppose the so-called "establishment".

see if you find a single trumptard who stands up to the kkk and neonazi scum. good luck with that.

what is important now for people like you and people like me who don't agree on an awful lot but who agree that neo-Nazis are vile and should certainly shouldn't be enabled, to stand up and be as loud as possible.

I don't worry about making the bullies mad. I worry that we won't.

and I keep remembering "all it takes for evil to prevail is for decent [people] to do nothing".

I'm not a right winger you silly girl.

I am simply older and wiser.

you might be old and nasty but I'm not seeing much wisdom.

and people who are wise generally don't have to state that fact themselves.

I reiterate what I said before.

you're welcome, gramps.

Forum List

Back