A trail of two knives...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
... and a lack of quality control.

{I don't know why the title reverted to trail...I changed it to tale twice.}

This isn't an expensive knife...$20 on Amazon...but this was so bad I almost returned it for refund....

It's a Schrade Old Timer boot knife...162OT...

Here's the specs courtesy of BladeHQ is you're interested...

Screenshot_20220112-110749.png

First one I received had a serious QC issue...

IMG_20220112_105955681.jpg

IMG_20220112_105931125.jpg

It's was very disappointing to see as I was pretty excited to receive it.

But...they sent me a new one...and after careful inspection...it passed muster.

IMG_20220112_105446569~3.jpg

What do I like? I love the classic design, the grippiness of the scales and it came extremely sharp, stayed sharp a long time cutting boxes, and was very easily touched up.

What do I not like?

There is no easy way of knowing if you have the blade edge down. I really don't want to add gimping...it makes another space for bacteria to hide...so I'm open to suggestions.

The other thing is...the sheath looks great...but I don't think it will last. There is no plastic insert or leather welt to keep the edge from cutting through the stitching...and I don't think these belt cut outs are going to last...

IMG_20220112_105627655~2.jpg

Bonus...a little shoutout to this Cold Steel Mini-Bowie. It has great retention in the kydex sheath if you're a neck knife person. I have a different plan for it in the future...

IMG_20220112_110207321~2.jpg

IMG_20220112_110229558~2.jpg

Last edited:
Schrade's not exactly known for producing the highest quality knives these days. I don't know if they're even producing them in the States anymore.

My EDC is one of these (although mine has the black anodized serrated blade):

3551_agency_310x1000_1.jpg

For a fixed blade (which I rarely carry), I have a Buck Model #119:

0119BKS-B.jpg

Well, what do you expect for 20 bucks?

I don't know why, but of all the knives I own, I have a special affinity for my Mikov automatic. I own several in case they become unavailable.

Well, what do you expect for 20 bucks?

I don't know why, but of all the knives I own, I have a special affinity for my Mikov automatic. I own several in case they become unavailable.
Haha funny you mention Mikovs. I been building them over 20 years. Have a contact in CZ, no prob customs I only order parts, parts sets. Even got the ones with a saw blade additional.

www.hermitriver.com Go to swotches in galley 2 and see a couple cool Miks. There is a Mikov in white mother of pearl and a moose antler one. I still have half dozen mikov parts sets and knife shop almost done,,,, again. Moved. Back up in maybe another 2 weeks then watch for pics as I'm a knifemaking mofo.

Mikovs remind me of Canons benchmade. Pretty much a sticker but bottom edge can be sharppppp. Very cool knives.

Last edited:
Haha funny you mention Mikovs. I been building them over 20 years. Have a contact in CZ, no prob customs I only order parts, parts sets. Even got the ones with a saw blade additional.

www.hermitriver.com Go to autos in galley and see a few cool autos. There is a Mikov in "OOsic" stuck in a deck with sun glinting off it. Should be a rembrant or somethin :hhello:(oosic iswalrus penile bone) I still have half dozen mikov parts sets and knife shop almost done,,,, again. Moved. Back up in maybe another 2 weeks then watch for pics as I'm a knifemaking mofo.

Mikovs remind me of Canons benchmade. Pretty much a sticker but bottom edge can be sharppppp. Very cool knives.
There was no Auto gallery, but I found the Mikovs in the Switchblades 2 gallery.

Cool.

There was no Auto gallery, but I found the Mikovs in the Switchblades 2 gallery.

Cool.
That was it man, I corrected my post but you beat me. Thanks, I just love them Miks for some reason. Think they are 420 stainless like so many Euro blades. But take and hold a good edge. I prefer carbon steel but I make what people request. Actually I carry a 420 stainless made in Italy designed by a knifemaked buddy in TN. Combo leverlock/stiletto, calls it a leverletto. Been carrying this one years, dyed/stabilized/camel bone. Nother pic of the top and filework and couple cases. Sometimes I scratch make, sometimes a customization. Depends on cust. Case is a carbonsteel case DR knife, not easy to find carbon! Got real gold lip pearl on it. Case whittler stock. Like them, like the "wharncliff blade for carving.
KA5v8jq.jpg

vVqXgsM.jpg

That was it man, I corrected my post but you beat me. Thanks, I just love them Miks for some reason. Think they are 420 stainless like so many Euro blades. But take and hold a good edge. I prefer carbon steel but I make what people request. Actually I carry a 420 stainless made in Italy designed by a knifemaked buddy in TN. Combo leverlock/stiletto, calls it a leverletto. Been carrying this one years, dyed/stabilized/camel bone. Nother pic of the top and filework and couple cases. Sometimes I scratch make, sometimes a customization. Depends on cust. Case is a carbonsteel case DR knife, not easy to find carbon! Got real gold lip pearl on it. Case whittler stock. Like them, like the "wharncliff blade for carving.
KA5v8jq.jpg

vVqXgsM.jpg
Leverletto. My pulse just quickened.

Forum List

Back