A Tokyo Disneyland Story

Jun 22, 2014
The magistrate’s wife had her arm torn off at the shoulder when we first saw her. She was crying, “No no no Carlos, don’t tell him nothing.” Her arm was swinging from one of the two shutters she opens. Tim and I had to shut down Pirates of the Caribbean so we could fix her and a pirate with a broken wrist who was shooting himself in the foot. We were asked to review the shows and shut them down if need be. This was the first week of the soft opening of Tokyo Disneyland and the park was open, but not a maintenance person was to be found. I contacted show control on the intercom system and asked them to stop running Pirates for the day. The show stopped but the audio continued on a loop.

After we repaired the two figures we walked out into the park to find it was dark and abandoned. Yo-Ho, Yo-Ho was still playing in my head. We had lost track of time and needed to get back to the offices to catch the last bus back into Tokyo. Tim reminded me that the bus schedule had been changed during the soft opening and the last bus would be leaving the offices at 7:30 p.m. We had over an hour to kill.

We walked around the empty Tokyo Disneyland and commented that this park was ours. Not a soul was to be seen including the TDLPD. Except for Space Mountain we could go into and run any show we wanted to. Our small bunch of MAPO employees got over 90% of the show items in the park working and were responsible for all of them. Bruce, Bob, Tim, Glen, Eric, Werner, Tom and I were done and everything was working. We were supposedly not responsible for the shows anymore but even during the soft opening we were still doing some maintenance.

The installation work was done and the shows were running. Now for some reason Disney started sending a large number of people to TDL. A lot of people from the recently opened EPCOT arrived. Except for the operations people, the rest had nothing to do. I sometimes thought that maybe they got a trip to Tokyo as a kind of a company bonus. A full size bus was now needed to shuttle the growing number of Disney people staying in the Imperial Hotel. We would be taking the smaller 20 seat bus back into Tokyo tonight.

We climbed up onto some rockwork along the Rivers of America. We sat there in the twilight overseeing the empty and dark Tokyo Disneyland as I smoked a Cuban cigar. This was our park for now, but not for long.

Forum List

Back