A Thought for Atheists

IndependntLogic

Jul 14, 2011
Atheists often post that they are persecuted, oppressed, distrusted or even hated by others. Have you ever considered that you might be largely responsible for this? Do you think most atheists assuage the problem or fan those flames of distrust and hatred?

Think of whatever ideal you hold most dear. Let's say it's love. So if I put up websites, posters, books whatever saying "Love is like a spaghetti monster. The only people who believe in it are self-deluded, ignorant assh0les!"? How would you feel about me if you were someone who believed in love?
What if posts from the anti-lovers all reflected that same hostility? I mean, they couldn't just go about their lives but rather put in great effort to prove that something you value, is valueless. How would you feel about such a group? I think many atheists have exacerbated the problem they complain about.

I personally don't think it's any of my business what you believe or don't believe. And while you complain about how religion effects some of our policies, guess what? So does atheism. Do children pray in school anymore? Nope. Federal policy. how about an employer who puts crosses and religious articles arond the office? Subject to lawsuits? You bet. It goes both ways.
So if you want people to have more of a "I don't care what others believe" kind of attitude, why don't you?
Why aren't you admonishing atheists who antagonize people of faith? They whine about people not liking them, and then go out of their way to attack something they know is important to others. That's like spitting on people, telling them they're idiots... and then playing victim because "no one likes me!".

How many times have you told a fellow atheists on this board, that they should never attack someone because of their religious beliefs? After all, that's how you want OTHERS to treat you, right? Or is it only everyone else who should respect religious beliefs / lack thereof?

Just a thought.

Atheists often post that they are persecuted, oppressed, distrusted or even hated by others. Have you ever considered that you might be largely responsible for this? Do you think most atheists assuage the problem or fan those flames of distrust and hatred?

Think of whatever ideal you hold most dear. Let's say it's love. So if I put up websites, posters, books whatever saying "Love is like a spaghetti monster. The only people who believe in it are self-deluded, ignorant assh0les!"? How would you feel about me if you were someone who believed in love?
What if posts from the anti-lovers all reflected that same hostility? I mean, they couldn't just go about their lives but rather put in great effort to prove that something you value, is valueless. How would you feel about such a group? I think many atheists have exacerbated the problem they complain about.

I personally don't think it's any of my business what you believe or don't believe. And while you complain about how religion effects some of our policies, guess what? So does atheism. Do children pray in school anymore? Nope. Federal policy. how about an employer who puts crosses and religious articles arond the office? Subject to lawsuits? You bet. It goes both ways.
So if you want people to have more of a "I don't care what others believe" kind of attitude, why don't you?
Why aren't you admonishing atheists who antagonize people of faith? They whine about people not liking them, and then go out of their way to attack something they know is important to others. That's like spitting on people, telling them they're idiots... and then playing victim because "no one likes me!".

How many times have you told a fellow atheists on this board, that they should never attack someone because of their religious beliefs? After all, that's how you want OTHERS to treat you, right? Or is it only everyone else who should respect religious beliefs / lack thereof?

Just a thought.

1.) Most describe me as an atheist, I'm not persecuted, oppressed, distrusted or hated.
2.) If someone thinks being an atheist is a stupid thing to be, so be it, I think religions are stupid, and the ppl I love most in the world belong to a religion.
3.) Belief a god(s) or no belief in any god isn't kept completley private, by either side, nor should it be.
4.) Atheists are constantly attacked by religious people, being labeled as hellbound heathens essentially, and atheists attack religious views, so this happens on both sides. However saying you know someone is going to sent to hell for all eternity and face infinite torture is the worse insult and attack I think any human can provide.

Lots of silly generalizations and victim talk in there.

I think it's foolish to lump athiests in one big group and pretend as if they are all the same. There are no shared values between athiests, just a shared belief that there is no God.

There are some who have a persecution complex, but Ive found many who are just like everyone else. I've also met athiests who are complete jerks, but then there are Christians and people of other faiths that are exactly the same.

We need to avoid creating divisions among people that don't exist. We need to stop creating boogy-man groups and lumping people in even if that group doesnt really exist, per se. The Gospel is an individual process. And in order to reach people we need to treat them with love and respect as individuals.

Just a thought.

:lol: None of your business what others believe or don't believe? Your post indicates otherwise. What would you prefer to be labelled...a self-righteous hypocrite or a bald faced liar?

Just a thought.

1.) Most describe me as an atheist, I'm not persecuted, oppressed, distrusted or hated.
2.) If someone thinks being an atheist is a stupid thing to be, so be it, I think religions are stupid, and the ppl I love most in the world belong to a religion.
3.) Belief a god(s) or no belief in any god isn't kept completley private, by either side, nor should it be.
4.) Atheists are constantly attacked by religious people, being labeled as hellbound heathens essentially, and atheists attack religious views, so this happens on both sides. However saying you know someone is going to sent to hell for all eternity and face infinite torture is the worse insult and attack I think any human can provide.

Just like the generalizations and victim talk of atheists.

I didn't say ALL atheists are anything. I commented on how some atheists (especially among "internet people") go out of their way to fan the flames of division.
I agree with everything you wrote in 1 - 4, btw. So would you agree that if you just took a look at the posts on this board, you would see that everything you speak of in #4, is no different than what atheists do here?
My observation is simply that a group of people who claim everyone else should not care what others believe, go out of their way to ridicule & attack those with differing beliefs - then they call those other people hypocrites.

I don't think religion should influence policy or law.
I also don't think animosity toward it, should.
There are cases of both.

:lol: None of your business what others believe or don't believe? Your post indicates otherwise. What would you prefer to be labelled...a self-righteous hypocrite or a bald faced liar?

Really? Where do I say anything that deprecates atheism itself? I don't? hmmm.
Where do I claim that atheists are self-deluded, ignorant, the source of evil etc...? I don't? Hmmm.
So thank you. You make now continue labeling me.

Hey. Isn't that what atheists complain that others do to them?

It is a 50/50 deal. You believe in what you want and I will believe in what I want, one of us will win the bet, I think it will be me. Good luck anyway

Just a thought.

1. I am aware of only one person who is an atheist that believes she is being persecuted, and she is crazy. Even Dawkins, who goes out of his way to attack religion, never claimed to be persecuted.
  2. I actually think being an atheist is intellectually dishonest and narrow minded, not stupid.
  3. I agree.
  4. Not sure why you think it is an insult, but I won't quibble over it. For the record, whoever gets into heaven and hell has nothing to do with me. The decision happens way above my pay grade, and I am happy to leave it there. I do not recall ever telling anyone they were going to hell.
Silly generalizations are always easier than thinking.

Just a thought.

I didn't say ALL atheists are anything. I commented on how some atheists (especially among "internet people") go out of their way to fan the flames of division.
I agree with everything you wrote in 1 - 4, btw. So would you agree that if you just took a look at the posts on this board, you would see that everything you speak of in #4, is no different than what atheists do here?
My observation is simply that a group of people who claim everyone else should not care what others believe, go out of their way to ridicule & attack those with differing beliefs - then they call those other people hypocrites.

There are cases of both.

1.) Correct, yes both sides have their group that make silly generalizations and provide victim talk, you being a part of one of those groups. However the groups on both sides are the minority.
2.) Yes there's some of every belief that fan the flames of division, we're all humans, we're all flawed no matter our belief or lack there of.
3.) I don't know any groups of atheists who attack religion, but get sensitive about having their non-belief attacked. Not saying they don't exist, but i'll need a link of someone on this board exhibiting those characteristics. Yes there are hypocrites in all belief or non-belief groups. Even those of us who don't think we're hypocrites probably have a hypocritical view or 2 and are unaware of it.
4.) Yes correct, gov't should have a neutral view of religions, the individuals should have their positive/negative views without having gov't prop their views up or tear them down.

There are cases of both.

1.) Correct, yes both sides have their group that make silly generalizations and provide victim talk, you being a part of one of those groups. However the groups on both sides are the minority.
Hmmm. Seems to me a generalization is when someone attributes a quality to everyone in a group. I specified I did not but rather pointed out that some individuals in a group do. So where did I make a generalization. And where did I indicate I am the vicitm of anything? OR are you just making silly generalizations? :razz:
2.) Yes there's some of every belief that fan the flames of division, we're all humans, we're all flawed no matter our belief or lack there of.
3.) I don't know any groups of atheists who attack religion, but get sensitive about having their non-belief attacked. Not saying they don't exist, but i'll need a link of someone on this board exhibiting those characteristics. Yes there are hypocrites in all belief or non-belief groups. Even those of us who don't think we're hypocrites probably have a hypocritical view or 2 and are unaware of it.
4.) Yes correct, gov't should have a neutral view of religions, the individuals should have their positive/negative views without having gov't prop their views up or tear them down.

So we agree on much. The only dissentions I observe is that you maintian that I wrote generalizations about ALL atheists and that was certainly not my intent; and that you seem to think I feel like I am a victim somehow. Don't know where you got that and don't see a basis for it. I certainly don't feel like any kind of victim of atheism so I think there may be a bit of projection there. Happens.

It is a 50/50 deal. You believe in what you want and I will believe in what I want, one of us will win the bet, I think it will be me. Good luck anyway

False dichotomy. If you wanted to assign an equal probability of correctness to every religious belief there is, your odds of being correct are pretty terrible. Even if it was a true dichotomy, just because there are only 2 options doesn't mean that those 2 options each have an equal probability of being correct. I think it's much more likely that they are all wrong on a fundamental level, hence my atheism.

Just a thought.

Seriously does anyone actually do this? No one takes accountability for any "group" they belong to, especially on these boards. I've seen racism, slurs against gays, and basically every religion since i've joined USMB, no one ever takes the time to admonish their own group, simply because they say its not their business or they just say that is not their groups position so the defer it.
I'll bet 9 out of 10 atheists you wouldn't know where atheists if you knew them well. I don't think my own dad knows I'm an atheist, although I've had suspicions that he is too. I'm not hiding the fact, it just never comes up, my non-belief is about as important to me as watering the sidewalks in front of my house. I've never complained about being oppressed, and have never felt oppressed, except for the fact that I have always wanted to run for a political office, but know that I can't do that here in Texas unless I start going to church and become a closet atheist.

Just a thought.

Seriously does anyone actually do this? No one takes accountability for any "group" they belong to, especially on these boards.

I do. I have many times. I jump all over the sh1t of fellow Christians who think they can judge those of differing beliefs, gays or whatever.
For example, some whackjob named yidnar loves to judge everyone else's religion, atheism, gays whatever. I call him on his whackjobbery often and point out that there's this whole thing about NOT JUDGING OTHERS but rather trying to build bridges rather than chasms. sample thread where I have done exactly that: http://www.usmessageboard.com/religion-and-ethics/179720-liberals-defend-islam-17.html#post4012911

I've seen racism, slurs against gays, and basically every religion since i've joined USMB, no one ever takes the time to admonish their own group, simply because they say its not their business or they just say that is not their groups position so the defer it.
I'll bet 9 out of 10 atheists you wouldn't know where atheists if you knew them well. I don't think my own dad knows I'm an atheist, although I've had suspicions that he is too. I'm not hiding the fact, it just never comes up, my non-belief is about as important to me as watering the sidewalks in front of my house. I've never complained about being oppressed, and have never felt oppressed, except for the fact that I have always wanted to run for a political office, but know that I can't do that here in Texas unless I start going to church and become a closet atheist.

I stated clearly that I know many reasonable atheists. It seems that even though I made clear this is something that only some atheists do, the national society of Let's Freak Out gets together for a party.
I'll say it again. My post is about SOME atheists.
Now guess what my response has been when atheists have written that SOME Christians are extreme racists or whatever? I've said "You're right. Some are."
The difference in replies is evident.

Last edited:

Just a thought.

Seriously does anyone actually do this? No one takes accountability for any "group" they belong to, especially on these boards.

I do. I have many times. I jump all over the sh1t of fellow Christians who think they can judge those of differing beliefs, gays or whatever.
For example, some whackjob named yidnar loves to judge everyone else's religion, atheism, gays whatever. I call him on his whackjobbery often and point out that there's this whole thing about NOT JUDGING OTHERS but rather trying to build bridges rather than chasms. sample thread where I have done exactly that: http://www.usmessageboard.com/religion-and-ethics/179720-liberals-defend-islam-17.html#post4012911

I've seen racism, slurs against gays, and basically every religion since i've joined USMB, no one ever takes the time to admonish their own group, simply because they say its not their business or they just say that is not their groups position so the defer it.

I stated clearly that I know many reasonable atheists. It seems that even though I made clear this is something that only some atheists do, the national society of Let's Freak Out gets together for a party.
I'll say it again. My post is about SOME atheists.
Now guess what my response has been when atheists have written that SOME Christians are extreme racists or whatever? I've said "You're right. Some are."
The difference in replies is evident.

You stated clearly you know many reasonable atheists? would you care to explain where? Because I just went through all your posts on this thread and that was never once stated. Furthermore in your first post (which I was responding to) the only quantity you ever used was "most atheists" Right here "Have you ever considered that you might be largely responsible for this? Do you think most atheists assuage the problem or fan those flames of distrust and hatred? "
But I guess the problem is all on you and how you phrase things. Your title and your opening post where you insinuate that "most atheists" are the problem.
I think we all know that whatever group you are part of there are extremists that are part of your group and wish to impose their will or beliefs onto others. Doesn't matter if you are democrat, republican, independant, christian, jewish, muslim, atheist or whatever.

Forum List

Back