A Successful N95 Mask Is Where You Keep Your COVID Virus Germs.

JAG

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2015
Let us assume the following.
John Doe wears his N95 mask for 6 hours before he discards it and dons a new mask.

{While keeping in mind that many people wear the same mask all day and some
people wear the same mask for several days.}

Now for the particulars , , ,

Tom Jones is infected with COVID virus germs.

John Doe gets within 3 feet of Tom Jones and Tom Jones coughs and sprays
COVID virus germs onto John Doe's N95 mask.

John Doe's N95 mask STOPS the COVID virus germs which are NOW on the
surface of John Doe's N95 mask.

For the next 6 hours John Doe runs errands all over town as he carries Tom
Jones' COVID virus germs around with him for the next 6 hours on his N95
mask. John Doe touches his N95 mask several times as he removes it while
in his car as he is traveling about town running errands and visiting friends.

So?

So a successful-N95-mask-wearing turns your N95 mask into a storage
facility where you store your COVID virus germs as long as you wear the
now infected N95 mask.

How long does COVID virus germs live on surfaces?
Here is what Web MD says:
Start quote:
"Most viruses can live for several hours on a surface that they land on.
A variety of studies are looking at how long the virus stays alive on a
variety of surfaces. One study showed the virus lived for up to 4 hours
on copper, up to 24 hours on cardboard, and up to 2 to 3 days on
plastic or stainless steel."
End quote

Link: How long can COVID-19 live on surfaces? (webmd.com)

See if you can "find a hole" in that logic up there -- see if you can find
a weak spot in the OP's proposition that says this:

A Successful N95 Mask Is Where You Keep Your
COVID Virus Germs.

JAG

Let us assume the following.
John Doe wears his N95 mask for 6 hours before he discards it and dons a new mask.

{While keeping in mind that many people wear the same mask all day and some
people wear the same mask for several days.}

Now for the particulars , , ,

Tom Jones is infected with COVID virus germs.

John Doe gets within 3 feet of Tom Jones and Tom Jones coughs and sprays
COVID virus germs onto John Doe's N95 mask.

John Doe's N95 mask STOPS the COVID virus germs which are NOW on the
surface of John Doe's N95 mask.

For the next 6 hours John Doe runs errands all over town as he carries Tom
Jones' COVID virus germs around with him for the next 6 hours on his N95
mask. John Doe touches his N95 mask several times as he removes it while
in his car as he is traveling about town running errands and visiting friends.

So?

So a successful-N95-mask-wearing turns your N95 mask into a storage
facility where you store your COVID virus germs as long as you wear the
now infected N95 mask.

How long does COVID virus germs live on surfaces?
Here is what Web MD says:
Start quote:
"Most viruses can live for several hours on a surface that they land on.
A variety of studies are looking at how long the virus stays alive on a
variety of surfaces. One study showed the virus lived for up to 4 hours
on copper, up to 24 hours on cardboard, and up to 2 to 3 days on
plastic or stainless steel."
End quote

Link: How long can COVID-19 live on surfaces? (webmd.com)

See if you can "find a hole" in that logic up there -- see if you can find
a weak spot in the OP's proposition that says this:

A Successful N95 Mask Is Where You Keep Your
COVID Virus Germs.

JAG
your comment doesnt mention where those items are sitting,, cause if they are in the sun the virus only last seconds to minutes,,,

it doesnt it specify of when someone removed their mask if they did it appropriately or just ripped it off and wadded it up,,

So are you saying that it's worthless to have a N95 mask? If you are, let's look at that.

Okay, I am wearing an N95 mask. I get within 3 feet (say I am a health care worker). I catch a bit of minute spray from an infected person onto my mask. My mask stops it from affecting me. I also wear throw away gloves. Along with other safety items. If I get that close to a potential threat then it's time to disinfect by using the gloves to remove the mask, remove the filters, discarding the filters, place the various items for disinfecting in the proper places and then discard the gloves. Put on new safety items. Health Care should also be wearing face shields that should protect the N95 mask from most particles which can be safely disinfected quickly.

As the article says, surface to surface is a rarety but the bulk of the transfers are from person to person. Here are some go to things to do.

1. Wear throwaway gloves. If you do come in contact, discard them and put on new ones.

2. Comply with the 6 foot area. Of course this can't always be done but try and do it as much as possible.

3. Don't shake hands

4. No, you are not supposed to put your hands on your face or face mask. This is where wearing of throwaway gloves comes into play. If you do, Not only change your mask but change your gloves.

5. Facemasks are the best addition to the combo. I don't have one but this exchange tells me to get one and carry disinfectant on my person to keep it clean.

6. When (notice When, not if) you have to go shopping, have a list and go straight to your products, do the purchase and get home.

Remember, one in every 20 people are carrying the Covid 19 around with them. They don't have to actually have it. They can be carriers, be in the very beginning of the virus or just walking around with it on them. Yes, one in 20. In some areas, it's even higher. But where I am at, we have a low rate and it's still 1 in 20.

So are you saying that it's worthless to have a N95 mask? If you are, let's look at that.

Okay, I am wearing an N95 mask. I get within 3 feet (say I am a health care worker). I catch a bit of minute spray from an infected person onto my mask. My mask stops it from affecting me. I also wear throw away gloves. Along with other safety items. If I get that close to a potential threat then it's time to disinfect by using the gloves to remove the mask, remove the filters, discarding the filters, place the various items for disinfecting in the proper places and then discard the gloves. Put on new safety items. Health Care should also be wearing face shields that should protect the N95 mask from most particles which can be safely disinfected quickly.

As the article says, surface to surface is a rarety but the bulk of the transfers are from person to person. Here are some go to things to do.

1. Wear throwaway gloves. If you do come in contact, discard them and put on new ones.

2. Comply with the 6 foot area. Of course this can't always be done but try and do it as much as possible.

3. Don't shake hands

4. No, you are not supposed to put your hands on your face or face mask. This is where wearing of throwaway gloves comes into play. If you do, Not only change your mask but change your gloves.

5. Facemasks are the best addition to the combo. I don't have one but this exchange tells me to get one and carry disinfectant on my person to keep it clean.

6. When (notice When, not if) you have to go shopping, have a list and go straight to your products, do the purchase and get home.

Remember, one in every 20 people are carrying the Covid 19 around with them. They don't have to actually have it. They can be carriers, be in the very beginning of the virus or just walking around with it on them. Yes, one in 20. In some areas, it's even higher. But where I am at, we have a low rate and it's still 1 in 20.

You are an intelligent fellow. You owe it to yourself to read this article:
A Sensible and Compassionate Anti-COVID Strategy - Imprimis (hillsdale.edu)
It is short and to the point.
It is current October 2020
It is well-written.
It is highly credible.
Here is who wrote it:

The article was written by , , ,
" Jay Bhattacharya {who} is a Professor of Medicine at Stanford University, where he
received both an M.D. and a Ph.D. in economics. He is also a research associate
at the National Bureau of Economics Research, a senior fellow at the Stanford
Institute for Economic Policy Research and at the Freeman Spogli Institute for
International Studies, and director of the Stanford Center on the Demography
and Economics of Health and Aging. A co-author of the Great Barrington
Declaration, his research has been published in economics, statistics, legal,
medical, public health, and health policy journals. "
End quote.

Read the article and discover what
The Great Barrington Declaration is:

" To date, the Great Barrington Declaration has been signed by over 43,000
medical and public health scientists and medical practitioners. The
Declaration thus does not represent a fringe view within the scientific
community. This is a central part of the scientific debate, and it belongs
n the debate. Members of the general public can also sign the Declaration."

Read the article, you'll be greatly encouraged:
Here again is the link:

Best Regards,

JAG

``

3. Don't shake hands

It is well-written.
It is highly credible.
Here is who wrote it:

" Jay Bhattacharya {who} is a Professor of Medicine at Stanford University, where he
End quote.

Here again is the link:

Best Regards,

JAG

``

Very good and informative article. But it doesn't speak of methods. Our Grand and Grand, Grands spoke and developed methods that can still apply even today. Influenza (H1N1) from 1918 was much more deadly yet they combated it without a vaccine. Look at their methods and follow it. It wasn't any new way of doing things, it's was the tried and true methods used for centuries learned from some really, really bad actor viruses.

3. Don't shake hands

It is well-written.
It is highly credible.
Here is who wrote it:

End quote.

Here again is the link:

Best Regards,

JAG

``

Very good and informative article. But it doesn't speak of methods. Our Grand and Grand, Grands spoke and developed methods that can still apply even today. Influenza (H1N1) from 1918 was much more deadly yet they combated it without a vaccine. Look at their methods and follow it. It wasn't any new way of doing things, it's was the tried and true methods used for centuries learned from some really, really bad actor viruses.

Thank you for reading the article -- glad you found it good and informative.

Best.

JAG

``

Forum List

Back