A sane look at fighting Trumpism

NotfooledbyW

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2014
No need to give up fighting for a decent strong successful America against the threat that occurred last night.

November 9, 2016 2:36 a.m.
Forget Canada. Stay and Fight for American Democracy.
By Jonathan ChaitShareTweetShareShareEmail
9-chait-election-night.w710.h473.jpg

Photo: The Washington Post/Washington Post/Getty Images
Before the election, like many liberals, I made a lot of jokes about moving to Canada. It was a way for people to deal with our anxiety. It’s not funny anymore, and people discussing it — reportedly, Canada’s immigration website has crashed due to excessive interest — are beginning to disgust me. I love this country. I believe in it. I’m not leaving. I’m sorry to sound hokey, but I’m going to stay and defend truth and democracy.

Never in my lifetime has the United States seen a period of darkness like the one that lies ahead of us. But we have seen periods of darkness before — segregation, McCarthyism, the internment of the Japanese, the Civil War, slavery. The American story is fitful progress punctuated by frequent reversals, some of which appeared at the time like they would last forever. None of them did.

The Trump years will be a horror. When I set out to write my long story in the magazineabout Trumpism and the future of the Republican Party, I originally intended to focus on the immediate possibilities that lay before the Republican Party if it could capture full control of Washington. As this scenario grew less likely, I gave it less emphasis, but it is there. The Republicans will pass massive regressive tax cuts; they will take access to medical care from the poor and sick; they will deregulate the financial industry and fossil-fuel emitters.

And that is just the beginning, the best-case scenario. Trump is an impulsive, egotistical bully, intolerant of criticism and dissent and drawn to the ruthless application of power. Many liberals have been warning that American democracy is far weaker than we believed, and this was before any of us imagined a monster like Trump commanding the Executive branch. Trump will shake the Republic to its foundations. And the Republicans will shake it with him. If there is a central point I tried to drive home, it is that Trumpism grows out of a decades-long trend toward authoritarianism as the dominant tendency of Republican politics. I don’t know what American government will look like after four years of Trump — or if it will only last four years, or even if it will only last eight.

But I do not believe that the people who elected Trump will be helped by his program in any way. Trump avoided policy specifics to a comical degree. His health-care plan is “something terrific” that will take care of everybody at no cost to anybody. His wall paid for by Mexico is not even a punch line — it is a symbol of his supporters’ fascistic willingness to subordinate all critical faculties and endorse an obvious absurdity. What he will do is sign a quick succession of donor-driven laws written by Paul Ryan whose authentic support is confined to a trivial proportion of the party outside its big-money wing. To whatever extent people voted for Trump for reasons other than racial and cultural resentment, Trump will do nothing for them. He is a buffoon surrounded by a party apparatus that is unable to govern, as the Republican elite demonstrated during the George W. Bush era, and that has grown worse.

At the end of this month, the president-elect of the United States will face trial for committing massive fraud through Trump University. He openly vows to have his children run his family business, which will enrich him through his office in the manner of a post-Soviet kleptocrat. The depths of a Trump presidency defy our imagination. It is safe to assume it will not be popular. Trump and his party will probably respond with vicious anti-democratic measures. But fighting for democracy is part of America’s heritage, from abolitionists to suffragettes to the progressive reformers. Maybe you thought that fight was confined to history. It will go on.

And Trump does not represent the future. He only barely represents its present. His party controls all three branches in large part because its voters are overrepresented in the House, the Senate, and the Electoral College. He represents a rage against the direction of America they have no way of stopping. Even a complete halt to all of illegal immigration and a total deportation of every undocumented immigrant will not prevent the growth of nonwhites into an eventual majority. Republicans are increasingly focused on voter suppression and other anti-democratic measures to allow their shrinking cohort to rule. Trump is the perfect champion of their project.

But I do not believe they will win, at least not over the long run. As the shock of a Trump presidency set in, I told my children Tuesday night that I did not want to hear anything about fleeing. We are not going anywhere. And the America I have raised them to believe in will one day prevail.

From the quote:

"But I do not believe that the people who elected Trump will be helped by his program in any way. Trump avoided policy specifics to a comical degree. His health-care plan is “something terrific” that will take care of everybody at no cost to anybody. His wall paid for by Mexico is not even a punch line — it is a symbol of his supporters’ fascistic willingness to subordinate all critical faculties and endorse an obvious absurdity. What he will do is sign a quick succession of donor-driven laws written by Paul Ryan whose authentic support is confined to a trivial proportion of the party outside its big-money wing. To whatever extent people voted for Trump for reasons other than racial and cultural resentment, Trump will do nothing for them. He is a buffoon surrounded by a party apparatus that is unable to govern, as the Republican elite demonstrated during the George W. Bush era, and that has grown worse."

Trump "is a buffoon surrounded by a party apparatus that is unable to govern..."

The fight to save the Republic will be easier considering the ineptness and weakness of the deplorable Republic's foes.

We should want him to be successful and have policies that lead to both full employment and 3-4% non-inflationary growth, and rising wages.

He won, and as Poppy said, "we have one president at a time."

bendog, post: 15775263
We should want him to be successful and have policies that lead to both full employment and 3-4% non-inflationary growth, and rising wages.

Rising wages began last year. Pay attention

"More than seven years after it began, middle class households are starting to feel the recovery. - US median household income rose 5.2 percent last year, the fastest one-year increase in records that stretch back to the late 1960s"

America's middle class just got its biggest pay raise since the '60s | VICE News

Higher growth more likely under President Clinton. Trump is a racist remake of the Bush 43 trickle down tax cutter with piss poor results ending in the 2008 greatest recession since the Great Depression.

No need to give up fighting for a decent strong successful America against the threat that occurred last night.

Before the election, like many liberals, I made a lot of jokes about moving to Canada. It was a way for people to deal with our anxiety. It’s not funny anymore, and people discussing it — reportedly, Canada’s immigration website has crashed due to excessive interest — are beginning to disgust me. I love this country. I believe in it. I’m not leaving. I’m sorry to sound hokey, but I’m going to stay and defend truth and democracy.

Never in my lifetime has the United States seen a period of darkness like the one that lies ahead of us. But we have seen periods of darkness before — segregation, McCarthyism, the internment of the Japanese, the Civil War, slavery. The American story is fitful progress punctuated by frequent reversals, some of which appeared at the time like they would last forever. None of them did.

The Trump years will be a horror. When I set out to write my long story in the magazineabout Trumpism and the future of the Republican Party, I originally intended to focus on the immediate possibilities that lay before the Republican Party if it could capture full control of Washington. As this scenario grew less likely, I gave it less emphasis, but it is there. The Republicans will pass massive regressive tax cuts; they will take access to medical care from the poor and sick; they will deregulate the financial industry and fossil-fuel emitters.

And that is just the beginning, the best-case scenario. Trump is an impulsive, egotistical bully, intolerant of criticism and dissent and drawn to the ruthless application of power. Many liberals have been warning that American democracy is far weaker than we believed, and this was before any of us imagined a monster like Trump commanding the Executive branch. Trump will shake the Republic to its foundations. And the Republicans will shake it with him. If there is a central point I tried to drive home, it is that Trumpism grows out of a decades-long trend toward authoritarianism as the dominant tendency of Republican politics. I don’t know what American government will look like after four years of Trump — or if it will only last four years, or even if it will only last eight.

But I do not believe that the people who elected Trump will be helped by his program in any way. Trump avoided policy specifics to a comical degree. His health-care plan is “something terrific” that will take care of everybody at no cost to anybody. His wall paid for by Mexico is not even a punch line — it is a symbol of his supporters’ fascistic willingness to subordinate all critical faculties and endorse an obvious absurdity. What he will do is sign a quick succession of donor-driven laws written by Paul Ryan whose authentic support is confined to a trivial proportion of the party outside its big-money wing. To whatever extent people voted for Trump for reasons other than racial and cultural resentment, Trump will do nothing for them. He is a buffoon surrounded by a party apparatus that is unable to govern, as the Republican elite demonstrated during the George W. Bush era, and that has grown worse.

At the end of this month, the president-elect of the United States will face trial for committing massive fraud through Trump University. He openly vows to have his children run his family business, which will enrich him through his office in the manner of a post-Soviet kleptocrat. The depths of a Trump presidency defy our imagination. It is safe to assume it will not be popular. Trump and his party will probably respond with vicious anti-democratic measures. But fighting for democracy is part of America’s heritage, from abolitionists to suffragettes to the progressive reformers. Maybe you thought that fight was confined to history. It will go on.

And Trump does not represent the future. He only barely represents its present. His party controls all three branches in large part because its voters are overrepresented in the House, the Senate, and the Electoral College. He represents a rage against the direction of America they have no way of stopping. Even a complete halt to all of illegal immigration and a total deportation of every undocumented immigrant will not prevent the growth of nonwhites into an eventual majority. Republicans are increasingly focused on voter suppression and other anti-democratic measures to allow their shrinking cohort to rule. Trump is the perfect champion of their project.

But I do not believe they will win, at least not over the long run. As the shock of a Trump presidency set in, I told my children Tuesday night that I did not want to hear anything about fleeing. We are not going anywhere. And the America I have raised them to believe in will one day prevail.

From the quote:

"But I do not believe that the people who elected Trump will be helped by his program in any way. Trump avoided policy specifics to a comical degree. His health-care plan is “something terrific” that will take care of everybody at no cost to anybody. His wall paid for by Mexico is not even a punch line — it is a symbol of his supporters’ fascistic willingness to subordinate all critical faculties and endorse an obvious absurdity. What he will do is sign a quick succession of donor-driven laws written by Paul Ryan whose authentic support is confined to a trivial proportion of the party outside its big-money wing. To whatever extent people voted for Trump for reasons other than racial and cultural resentment, Trump will do nothing for them. He is a buffoon surrounded by a party apparatus that is unable to govern, as the Republican elite demonstrated during the George W. Bush era, and that has grown worse."

Lots of talk, no evidence...

Where is the evidence?

At least his policies are designed for the American people, instead of for the special interest.

Norman, post: 15775434
Where is the evidence?

Show me a Trump plan with more benefits than OBAMACARE and costs less.

Show me a plan to build a wall on the Southern border that binds Mexico to pay for it.

There is none. That's the evidence.

Norman, post: 15775434
Where is the evidence?

Show me a Trump plan with more benefits than OBAMACARE and costs less.

Show me a plan to build a wall on the Southern border that binds Mexico to pay for it.

There is none. That's the evidence.

Well, that's easy to show...

You are being stupid.

Also, I never thought Mexico was gonna pay for that wall, it's called hyperbole.

From the quote:

This threat is new. That Piece Of Shit is an open fascist. If the Republicans who control both houses of Congress allow this thing any leeway he will move as rapidly as possible towards dictator. This is who this lowlife is, he is a mafia head. His first order of business will be to try to use governmental power to get even with all the people that have ever said a bad tweet about him.

If the Senate had gone Democrat the danger would be far dimished, but the Republicans really don't care about anything except power so they'll suck the POS's dick as long as he let's them do most of what he wants.

The working people that were fooled into voting for Piece Of Shit trump and his crime family are soon to find out just how bad the fucked up.

Trump "is a buffoon surrounded by a party apparatus that is unable to govern..."

The fight to save the Republic will be easier considering the ineptness and weakness of the deplorable Republic's foes.

And yet they kicked your ass. Sooooo, that means that YOUR party apparatus was even worse. Just sayin...

From the quote:

This threat is new. That Piece Of Shit is an open fascist. If the Republicans who control both houses of Congress allow this thing any leeway he will move as rapidly as possible towards dictator. This is who this lowlife is, he is a mafia head. His first order of business will be to try to use governmental power to get even with all the people that have ever said a bad tweet about him.

If the Senate had gone Democrat the danger would be far dimished, but the Republicans really don't care about anything except power so they'll suck the POS's dick as long as he let's them do most of what he wants.

The working people that were fooled into voting for Piece Of Shit trump and his crime family are soon to find out just how bad the fucked up.

Ummm, I hate to break it to you but it was your hero the shrilary who had sold her soul to the multinational corporations which is the very definition of fascism. Learn English, dummy.

First let me personally thank you for proving me correct. I always said that no matter who wins the country was too deeply and irrevocably divided to accept the other's leadership. These divisions cannot be resolved by a mere election. This will take a deathmatch or, a peaceful division of the nation.

And yet they kicked your ass. Sooooo, that means that YOUR party apparatus was even worse. Just sayin...

Not talking about the election apparatus. It's the governing apparatus being discussed. Obama kicked Bush43s governing apparatus 1000 times over. Nothing shows me the Trump Republican governing apparatus has learned anything since their most recent stint occupying the White House being attacked on 9/11 starting a war in Iraq and cutting taxes during war time.

We've had eight years of slow but steady progress and stability under Obama. An interruption of that domestic progress falls entirely on the President elect and his choice of party at the moment.

Why don't you understand what the discussion is about.

Forum List

Back