A Sad First: Working People Now Need Food Stamps More than Kids, Elderly

hvactec

VIP Member
Jan 17, 2010
New Jersey
January 27, 2014

Here’s how bad it is out there: Last year, household income in the middle of the economic pile was still 8.2 percent below what it was in 2007, before the Great Recession began. The recovery has been rocky for many Americans; according to a study by the National Employment Law Project, low-wage occupations saw 2.7 times more job growth than those paying decent wages during the recovery’s first three years. And that’s in keeping with a longer-term trend: Since 2001, employment has increased by 8.7 percent in lower-wage fields while the number of jobs in mid-wage occupations dropped by 7.3 percent.

That’s the backdrop for today’s Associated Press report about “the new face of food stamps.”

The AP’s Hope Yen writes:

In a first, working-age people now make up the majority in U.S. households that rely on food stamps — a switch from a few years ago, when children and the elderly were the main recipients.

Some of the change is due to demographics, such as the trend toward having fewer children. But a slow economic recovery with high unemployment, stagnant wages and an increasing gulf between low-wage and high-skill jobs also plays a big role. It suggests that government spending on the $80 billion-a-year food stamp program — twice what it cost five years ago — may not subside significantly anytime soon

Food stamp participation since 1980 has grown the fastest among workers with some college training, a sign that the safety net has stretched further to cover America’s former middle class, according to an analysis of government data for The Associated Press by economists at the University of Kentucky. Formally called Supplemental Nutrition Assistance, or SNAP, the program now covers 1 in 7 Americans.

read more A Sad First: Working People Now Need Food Stamps More than Kids, Elderly | The Poverty Line | BillMoyers.com

Last edited:
We can thank Obama for the fine view we now have inside the crapper

-Geaux

ObamaFail1.jpg

It is very sad

What is Congress doing about it?

Alex- I'll take Obama Failures for 1000 please......

Congress is preventing Obama from making things worse. For that, he has declared he is on his own. You know, I have a pen and a phone and all

-Geaux

It is very sad

What is Congress doing about it?

Alex- I'll take Obama Failures for 1000 please......

Congress is preventing Obama from making things worse. For that, he has declared he is on his own. You know, I have a pen and a phone and all

-Geaux

Interesting....sounds back asswards to me

Looks like Congress is blocking anything that will help working americans

What this country need's is a good cleansing, if you were not born and raised in this country you need to leave! get out. If that would happen then a lot of the crap would go with it and open up plenty of job's for the real American's.

Forum List

Back