A Republican Profile in Courage

schmidlap

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2020
In the end, the desperate attempt to pervert democracy and deny the People's will came down to a decent American who would not be intimidated into perpetuating the wrecking ball of Trumpery's demolition of American democracy.

After five years spent bullying the Republican Party into submission, Trump finally met his match in 40-year-old Aaron Van Langevelde...

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 9.39.52 AM.png

Van Langevelde is a Republican. He works for Republicans in the Statehouse. He gives legal guidance to advance Republican causes and win Republican campaigns. As a Republican, his mandate for Monday’s hearing—handed down from the state party chair, the national party chair and the president himself—was straightforward. They wanted Michigan’s board of canvassers to delay certification of Biden’s victory. Never mind that Trump lost by more than 154,000 votes, or that results were already certified in all 83 counties. The plan was to drag things out, to further muddy the election waters and delegitimize the process, to force the courts to take unprecedented actions that would forever taint Michigan’s process of certifying elections. Not because it was going to help Trump win but because it was going to help Trump cope with a loss. The president was not accepting defeat. That meant no Republican with career ambitions could accept it, either.

Which made Van Langevelde’s vote for certification all the more remarkable. With the other Republican on the four-person board, Norman Shinkle, abstaining on the final vote—a cowardly abdication of duty—the 40-year-old Van Langevelde delivered the verdict on his own. At a low point in his party’s existence, with much of the GOP’s leadership class pre-writing their own political epitaphs by empowering Trump to lay waste to the country’s foundational democratic norms, an obscure lawyer from west Michigan stood on principle. It proved to be the nail in Trump’s coffin.

With the removal of Trump by popular demand, the rankest Republican in the land?

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 9.28.00 AM.png

"Oh, my! If I even entertained a fleeting notion of defending America
against Trumpery, I fear that I would tinkle in my frillies and swoon!"

For the Trumped GOP, the times, they are a'changin'!
Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 10.00.41 AM.png

I’m glad Don’s gone, but the problem now is we have a senile old corporatist neocon in crazy Joe Biden.

It isn't quite over yet. Two more Senate seats that really need to go in Democrats column. Otherwise, the most reviled politician (sorry, it isn't Trump) of our lifetime will continue to be able to do nothing except stack the court with conservative judges and consolidate power for the Republican party....all while people continue to die by the thousands and the economy slowly goes back into the crapper.

I’m glad Don’s gone, but the problem now is we have a senile old corporatist neocon in crazy Joe Biden.

Notwithstanding your diagnosis Dr. Fraud, but VP Biden will surround himself with the best and the brightest, not the cronies trump put into offices of trust. That said, Dr. Fraud, your neocon comment needs to be supported with evidence; President-Elect Biden's current appointments seem to be putting diplomacy back into our foreign policy, and the bellicose rhetoric of the past four years will be put in the shitcan of history.

Notwithstanding your diagnosis Dr. Fraud, but VP Biden will surround himself with the best and the brightest, not the cronies trump put into offices of trust. That said, Dr. Fraud, your neocon comment needs to be supported with evidence; President-Elect Biden's current appointments seem to be putting diplomacy back into our foreign policy, and the bellicose rhetoric of the past four years will be put in the shitcan of history.
You’re dreaming. He has already surrounded himself with corporatist neocons.

Why are partisans of the two criminal gangs always blind?

Nope. Just returning things to the status quo. You know, where America pays for everything.

I think the mid terms will be gold for the Reps.

Nope. Just returning things to the status quo. You know, where America pays for everything.

Yes they may win seats in the midterms but again, it won’t mean a thing for the vast majority of Americans. Nothing will change.

Round and round we go.

[/QUOTE]

This election was GOLD for Republicans.

They did not lose a single House Seats and gained around a dozen. and held the Senate despite the SUPER RICH pouring millions into the Senate dems campaigns. The repubs were defending many more seats.

Gained in state governments too.

STRANGE that Biden got so many votes and had no coattails at all.

Aaron Van Langevelde was scared of the Democratic mob.
Do you have any actual evidence to support your unsubstantiated Trumpy claim, or did you just pull it out of your butt?

Trump lost Michigan by more than 154,000 votes, and the results had already been certified in all 83 counties.

Whatever threats the intrepid Republican may have felt from Proud Boys, Boogaloo, and Q-anon, it did not prevent him from standing up for the will of the People of Michigan.

Forum List

Back