A reminder of Fred Rogers

Loved watching Mister Roger's Neighborhood growing up. It taught kindness, gratitude and humility.

Yes it did. I grew up in the 80's and while I wasn't a huge Mr Rogers fan I did watch his shows. I guess I noticed it on a little too "late" in my childhood. I always felt that he was talking "down" to me as in "I'm too old to be talked to like this". Well I was like 9 and his target audience was 2-5 year olds. So I would definitely say that he was a great influence on kids. He spoke calmly and slowly and never actually talked down to kids. He never lied to kids and he never told kids that he saw things through rose colored glasses. He discussed topics like anger, death, divorce etc to a target audience of basically toddlers and he did such a great job. I always liked how he didn't lie..he once said "I'm not going to tell kids if they have to go to the doctor and get a shot that it won't hurt. It will hurt. It might hurt a lot but that's ok because it won't hurt long and you will start to feel a lot better after." I cannot think of a better way to be with children. Honest.

I can't think about him without tearing up. Just knowing that this world was so blessed to have someone who loved kids as much as he did and helped so many kids growing up.....the man should have a front row in heaven. After all, he was also a minister.

Because of this thread I started watching lots of youtube videos of him in different interviews and such. I even watched two videos of a "grown up" reading two of his books. "When a pet dies" and "when you go to the hospital." He is brutally honest in both books. Even telling kids about peeing in a cup and using a bedpan.

I watched this video and remembered seeing Mr Roger's Neighborhood when I was little. And my own kids discovering it many years later.

This fall there is a Tom Hanks movie coming out that I hope captures the spirit of it.

He never talked down to children. And he was not afraid to tackle the toughest topics. Race relations, divorce and death were within his gentle realm.

There will probably never be another tv personality like Fred Rogers. And that is a real shame. I think we could use one right about now.

I found him rather creepy as a child.

I watched this video and remembered seeing Mr Roger's Neighborhood when I was little. And my own kids discovering it many years later.

This fall there is a Tom Hanks movie coming out that I hope captures the spirit of it.

He never talked down to children. And he was not afraid to tackle the toughest topics. Race relations, divorce and death were within his gentle realm.

There will probably never be another tv personality like Fred Rogers. And that is a real shame. I think we could use one right about now.
I always thought he was creepy when I was a kid.

When I was a Gen-X small child, I used to love Mr. Rogers. That's why I'm disgusted by a pedophile drunk like Tom Hanks playing him. I've always found Hanks to be the most vomitously overrated actor in history (the male equivalent of Meryl Streep and don't get me started on that overrated whore). Tom Hanks' acting range is so limited, he plays the same screechy-voiced goody-two-shoes Boy Scout in every movie. He's pure schmaltz as an actor.....an actor that has a huge collection of small children's used shoes; if that's not a pedophile fetish, what is?
Huh..ok, I guess. Somehow in 'Saving Private Ryan' he didn't seem all that goody at all...LOL! But to each his/her own...I gry not to confuse the art with the artist..and to keep politics out of my entertainment choices.

This topic seems a bit out of place in Current Events..maybe a move??

Yes it did. I grew up in the 80's and while I wasn't a huge Mr Rogers fan I did watch his shows. I guess I noticed it on a little too "late" in my childhood. I always felt that he was talking "down" to me as in "I'm too old to be talked to like this". Well I was like 9 and his target audience was 2-5 year olds. So I would definitely say that he was a great influence on kids. He spoke calmly and slowly and never actually talked down to kids. He never lied to kids and he never told kids that he saw things through rose colored glasses. He discussed topics like anger, death, divorce etc to a target audience of basically toddlers and he did such a great job. I always liked how he didn't lie..he once said "I'm not going to tell kids if they have to go to the doctor and get a shot that it won't hurt. It will hurt. It might hurt a lot but that's ok because it won't hurt long and you will start to feel a lot better after." I cannot think of a better way to be with children. Honest.

I can't think about him without tearing up. Just knowing that this world was so blessed to have someone who loved kids as much as he did and helped so many kids growing up.....the man should have a front row in heaven. After all, he was also a minister.

Because of this thread I started watching lots of youtube videos of him in different interviews and such. I even watched two videos of a "grown up" reading two of his books. "When a pet dies" and "when you go to the hospital." He is brutally honest in both books. Even telling kids about peeing in a cup and using a bedpan.

I had a similar experience, even though I grew up in the 60s. When I was a kid we had 3 channels on the tv. If I was home sick, I had a choice of either Mr. Rogers or soap operas. I usually chose Mr. Rogers.

Forum List

Back