A reaction to the historical truth about slavery from a public education specimen

We don't have to say nothing. If slavery was not about race whites would have been chattel too. Now go find a video where you find somebody black saying that Jim Crow wasn't about race.

This short clip showed this young man what a brain washed tool he was used for

Refute any of the facts or say nothing please

That was not a short clip but I did stay with it til the end. I need to address one thing here. Money is not the root of all evil, but the LOVE of money as it says in scripture: 1 Timothy 6:10 to be: For the love of money is the root of all of evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

From James Keenley
BA in History & English Literature, Northwestern University (Graduated 1984)2y

The word “chattel” refers to personal property, something that is owned. The term “chattel slavery” is a slave system where the individual slaves are permanently owned, including their families and offspring, they have no rights, and they are generally not even considered persons.
Though the U.S. did not invent the chattel slave system, it certainly perfected it (and yes, I’m using that word ironically). The U.S. slave system, which existed from about 1619, when the first enslaved Africans were deposited at Jamestown, the first permanent English colony in what would become the U.S., up through the passage of the 13th Amendment, about 250 years later.
There are four main features of the U.S. chattel slave system that made if different (and more horrifying) than any previous slave system:
  1. It was permanent. While some slave owners, from time to time, chose to manumit or free their slaves, the overwhelming majority did not. Their slaves were their personal property, until they died or were sold, and that ownership included the slave’s entire family, including his children and, in many cases, grandchildren. People were born slaves, lived their entire lives as slaves, and died as slaves.
  2. It was almost exclusively race-based. Often referred to as “Negro Slavery,” the U.S. slave system deemed blacks as a caste who were African-born or of African descent, and the slaves that existed during that 250-year time period were almost exclusively of African descent. In other words, slavery wasn’t just an institutional concept, it was a system based almost exclusively on the enslavement of blacks. It was per se and inherently racist. Looking ahead another 150 years, this is what is referred to today as “institutional racism.” This exclusively race-based system created an indelible link between race and slavery, and a parallel race-based point of view. And while slavery itself would eventually be outlawed, this race-based point of view would persist, including up to the present.
  3. It denied essential personhood. As both a cause and effect of the chattel slave system that developed in the U.S., slaves were not considered persons, or, at the very least, they were not considered persons on the same level as whites. They had no rights under law, and when the country was eventually founded in law, the U.S. Constitution perpetuated the denial of slaves their rights under law. Many Southerners took it a step further and proclaimed that slavery was ordained by God. Under law, slaves were deemed a mere 3/5 of a person (but only for counting population in determining Congressional representation), and even after the passage of the 13th Amendment that ended slavery, this denial of rights under law would continue, in some parts of the country, for at least another 100 years.
  4. It was a huge business. The topic of slavery dominated the Constitutional Convention, which would eventually produce the U.S. Constitution. One “compromise” reached in order to ensure passage of the Constitution by both the North and the South was a refusal to outlaw slavery outright, but an agreement to end the slave trade. Article I, Section 9 of the Constitution permitted the continuance of the slave trade until 1808, and in 1807 Congress passed the Act Prohibiting Importing of Slaves, which legally abolished the slave trade. But this Act of Congress was not passed based on a sense of equality or altruism. It was passed simply because, by that point, slave-owners and slave-traders no longer needed to import slaves: The slaves they owned were producing children at such a productive rate that they didn’t need to import slaves, they “grew” them themselves. And the slave trade developed into an extremely lucrative business, with slaves being sold for the modern-day equivalent of $40,000-$50,000. Slave-owners produced books that paralleled animal husbandry tracts, outlining the proper breeding of slaves.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
That was not a short clip but I did stay with it til the end. I need to address one thing here. Money is not the root of all evil, but the LOVE of money as it says in scripture: 1 Timothy 6:10 to be: For the love of money is the root of all of evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

From James Keenley
BA in History & English Literature, Northwestern University (Graduated 1984)2y

The word “chattel” refers to personal property, something that is owned. The term “chattel slavery” is a slave system where the individual slaves are permanently owned, including their families and offspring, they have no rights, and they are generally not even considered persons.
Though the U.S. did not invent the chattel slave system, it certainly perfected it (and yes, I’m using that word ironically). The U.S. slave system, which existed from about 1619, when the first enslaved Africans were deposited at Jamestown, the first permanent English colony in what would become the U.S., up through the passage of the 13th Amendment, about 250 years later.
There are four main features of the U.S. chattel slave system that made if different (and more horrifying) than any previous slave system:
  1. It was permanent. While some slave owners, from time to time, chose to manumit or free their slaves, the overwhelming majority did not. Their slaves were their personal property, until they died or were sold, and that ownership included the slave’s entire family, including his children and, in many cases, grandchildren. People were born slaves, lived their entire lives as slaves, and died as slaves.
  2. It was almost exclusively race-based. Often referred to as “Negro Slavery,” the U.S. slave system deemed blacks as a caste who were African-born or of African descent, and the slaves that existed during that 250-year time period were almost exclusively of African descent. In other words, slavery wasn’t just an institutional concept, it was a system based almost exclusively on the enslavement of blacks. It was per se and inherently racist. Looking ahead another 150 years, this is what is referred to today as “institutional racism.” This exclusively race-based system created an indelible link between race and slavery, and a parallel race-based point of view. And while slavery itself would eventually be outlawed, this race-based point of view would persist, including up to the present.
  3. It denied essential personhood. As both a cause and effect of the chattel slave system that developed in the U.S., slaves were not considered persons, or, at the very least, they were not considered persons on the same level as whites. They had no rights under law, and when the country was eventually founded in law, the U.S. Constitution perpetuated the denial of slaves their rights under law. Many Southerners took it a step further and proclaimed that slavery was ordained by God. Under law, slaves were deemed a mere 3/5 of a person (but only for counting population in determining Congressional representation), and even after the passage of the 13th Amendment that ended slavery, this denial of rights under law would continue, in some parts of the country, for at least another 100 years.
  4. It was a huge business. The topic of slavery dominated the Constitutional Convention, which would eventually produce the U.S. Constitution. One “compromise” reached in order to ensure passage of the Constitution by both the North and the South was a refusal to outlaw slavery outright, but an agreement to end the slave trade. Article I, Section 9 of the Constitution permitted the continuance of the slave trade until 1808, and in 1807 Congress passed the Act Prohibiting Importing of Slaves, which legally abolished the slave trade. But this Act of Congress was not passed based on a sense of equality or altruism. It was passed simply because, by that point, slave-owners and slave-traders no longer needed to import slaves: The slaves they owned were producing children at such a productive rate that they didn’t need to import slaves, they “grew” them themselves. And the slave trade developed into an extremely lucrative business, with slaves being sold for the modern-day equivalent of $40,000-$50,000. Slave-owners produced books that paralleled animal husbandry tracts, outlining the proper breeding of slaves.
Yep, slave breeding was one of Americas first industries.

• Banned
Yep, slave breeding was one of Americas first industries.
Look at these 2 IM2. Every thing you learned was a lie. This is all facts

Roots was a fantasy Huxley wrote to scam you people......lolololol

Please refute any of this

They have been lying about slavery for DECADES/GENERATIONS now to everyone.
I have been doing some reading of slave narratives from the Library of Congress (available as a PDF).
These are documents that speak to the evils of slavery, written by slaves themselves. Some folks said they were forced to work from sun up to sun down with very little food. Some said they had no shoes and their feet were bloodied and swollen. Some said they saw family members raped, family members separated and sold, family members beaten practically to death nearly every day, family members who had their hands cut off when they tried to run away. These are first hand accounts and are a matter of historical record.

If, after reading them, you still believe that the horrors of slavery were invented, I would have to question your motives. Even if one book or one movie was misused and misrepresented as accurate historical truth, the facts remain. Were there not such facts there would have been no need for a Sojourner Truth, or a Frederick Douglass or other abolitionists.

It is interesting that I read one account of a woman who said slavery was a good thing because she had kind and caring masters who took good care of her when she was ill. There were a few accounts of decent slave owners, but here's the thing - they were slave OWNERS - they owned other human beings. Regardless of how they treated them, I do not understand the mentality that makes it O.K. to own other people and count them like you would your cattle.

The woman who felt she was well taken care of lacked one basic thing - FREEDOM. We Americans get literally UP-IN-ARMS when we believe our freedoms are threatened. We dare anyone to take away our basic rights, our guns, our religious liberty, our right to think our own thoughts and express them freely at any time and in any place.

So, whether someone treated their slaves decently or horribly, slavery is a historical fact and one I believe has lingering effects today.

I have been doing some reading of slave narratives from the Library of Congress (available as a PDF).
These are documents that speak to the evils of slavery, written by slaves themselves. Some folks said they were forced to work from sun up to sun down with very little food. Some said they had no shoes and their feet were bloodied and swollen. Some said they saw family members raped, family members separated and sold, family members beaten practically to death nearly every day, family members who had their hands cut off when they tried to run away. These are first hand accounts and are a matter of historical record.

If, after reading them, you still believe that the horrors of slavery were invented, I would have to question your motives. Even if one book or one movie was misused and misrepresented as accurate historical truth, the facts remain. Were there not such facts there would have been no need for a Sojourner Truth, or a Frederick Douglass or other abolitionists.

It is interesting that I read one account of a woman who said slavery was a good thing because she had kind and caring masters who took good care of her when she was ill. There were a few accounts of decent slave owners, but here's the thing - they were slave OWNERS - they owned other human beings. Regardless of how they treated them, I do not understand the mentality that makes it O.K. to own other people and count them like you would your cattle.

The woman who felt she was well taken care of lacked one basic thing - FREEDOM. We Americans get literally UP-IN-ARMS when we believe our freedoms are threatened. We dare anyone to take away our basic rights, our guns, our religious liberty, our right to think our own thoughts and express them freely at any time and in any place.

So, whether someone treated their slaves decently or horribly, slavery is a historical fact and one I believe has lingering effects today.
I don't disagree with most of what you are saying. The shoes thing is entirely wrong. Most poor people of all races had no shoes, or at best had shoes for wearing in winter when there was snow on the ground. Look at photos from post ACW right up until WWII of poor country kids, you rarely see them wearing shoes in decent weather. Shoes were expensive and kids grew out of them quickly.

I don't disagree with most of what you are saying. The shoes thing is entirely wrong. Most poor people of all races had no shoes, or at best had shoes for wearing in winter when there was snow on the ground. Look at photos from post ACW right up until WWII of poor country kids, you rarely see them wearing shoes in decent weather. Shoes were expensive and kids grew out of them quickly.
I don't think the slave narratives, written by actual slaves, are for us to agree or disagree with. They are documentation of facts lived by people who were forced into labor. Not having shoes to protect their feet while they worked in their master's fields, was just one of many indignities they suffered. I don't think it can be compared to the inconvenience of kids just not being able to afford them.

Forum List

Back