A Question About 'State Quarters'...

Charter Member
May 8, 2004
Podunk, WI
I, like other's I'm assuming, am collecting the 50 state quarters. A little while back, I had them all except for Kansas, so I went to ebay to buy a roll. When I checked on one of the auctions for a roll, they said that Kansas was the rarest of all the state quarters because a brinks truck load of them had burned, and millions of them had been destroyed. What I wonder is, has anyone else ever heard this? I can't seem to find anything on the web to substansiate this claim. In any case, I only collect one of each state, but I've been hanging on to all the Kansas.

I haven't heard that.

I collect them, too, but I collect them through a company that automatically sends them to me when they're issued. It's actually sort of cheesy. I got this map of the US, like a board game kind of thing, and there are circles cut out of it for each state. As you get the next issue of quarters you're supposd to put them in the slots for each state.

I'll check tomorrow. I think I must have them all by now because I haven't gotten any new ones in the mail in more than a year.

Correction:

I just checked and they won't all be issued until 2008. There's a time line on the side of the board and they've been issuing 5 a year. Kansas was 2005 according to the board. I haven't put any in the slots since the 2002 ones came.

Great. God only knows where 2003-2005 are . I think I just flung the envelopes on the pile of shit that's on my desk. I may never find them.

I haven't heard that.

I collect them, too, but I collect them through a company that automatically sends them to me when they're issued. It's actually sort of cheesy. I got this map of the US, like a board game kind of thing, and there are circles cut out of it for each state. As you get the next issue of quarters you're supposd to put them in the slots for each state.

I'll check tomorrow. I think I must have them all by now because I haven't gotten any new ones in the mail in more than a year.

Correction:

I just checked and they won't all be issued until 2008. There's a time line on the side of the board and they've been issuing 5 a year. Kansas was 2005 according to the board. I haven't put any in the slots since the 2002 ones came.

Great. God only knows where 2003-2005 are . I think I just flung the envelopes on the pile of shit that's on my desk. I may never find them.

I must have the same thing you do to put them in. I also have a big board type thing from H.E. Harris & Co.. The last one that I remember putting in it was Nevada for 2006. I don't have any of the other coins that are supposed to be issued for '06.

Yeah I've done some digging about that Kansas quarter story and can't find anything. I've got a bunch of them saved. I don't think I'll save any more of them. If you can't find ANYTHING about a story like that on the internet, I'm thinking it's bogus.

I must have the same thing you do to put them in. I also have a big board type thing from H.E. Harris & Co.. The last one that I remember putting in it was Nevada for 2006. I don't have any of the other coins that are supposed to be issued for '06.

Yeah I've done some digging about that Kansas quarter story and can't find anything. I've got a bunch of them saved. I don't think I'll save any more of them. If you can't find ANYTHING about a story like that on the internet, I'm thinking it's bogus.

Mine doesn't have any company name on it at all. But it's not as cheesy as I thought it was. It's actually kind of nice. It's a little bigger than a Monopoly board and it's got it's own sleeve on it. The states are color coded by the year of issue. It's got a US Patent number on it, but that's it. It looks like a big binder and has "First States Quarters 1999-2008" on the cover. You unfold it and it a big map of the country.

I know I've gotten them in the mail over the years. But I moved in 2004 and the last batch I got was long after I moved. I thought it was junk mail and almost threw it away. Hopefully they're all just under all the crap on my desk.

Yeah, if you can't find anything on the internet about it it probably isn't true. If I ever find it I'll let you know.

I'm very leery of buying collectables on Ebay. To ever be worth anything, a collectable really has to be rare and in pristine condition. Especially something like the quarters that many people are collecting. Really valuable collectables are things that are NOT issued as collectables.

I also collected prepaid phone cards for a couple of years. I work for the phone company and I read an article about how when the first pre-paid phone cards were issued they were give-aways. There was one issue that was given away free at an industry event. It was a cardboard throw-away and that's what most people did with it. They threw it away. So that card became very valuable. Anybody who saved it in perfect condition could get several hundred dollars for it. It's the same principal with baseball cards. So I started buying and saving them. Then they started issuing the cards as collectables.

Then I read another article about collectibles and discovered a couple of things. First, anything issued as a collectable is never going to be worth much. The fact that too many people will collect and save them means there will always be too many on the market to be worth much more than what you paid for it. The other thing I read was the condition of something is VERY important to it's value. To get top dollar it has to be in it's original packaging, and it has to be in perfect condition. Otherwise, don't buy it.

I have a Clinton backwards Running Watch, a Clinton Nose Growing Watch, and that sock puppet dog from that website that was so big but then crashed and burned overnight. All in their original packaging. Maybe in 20 years they might be worth something.

I collect old coins from around the world, I have English coins older than America.

I collect old coins from around the world, I have English coins older than America.
My mother has Pfennigs and Marks from Germany that date a little before the 1950's. Anything else we have is about as old as America or the American Civil War.

Whoopdee, there are people in Europe with underdrawers probably older than America.

I, like other's I'm assuming, am collecting the 50 state quarters. A little while back, I had them all except for Kansas, so I went to ebay to buy a roll. When I checked on one of the auctions for a roll, they said that Kansas was the rarest of all the state quarters because a brinks truck load of them had burned, and millions of them had been destroyed. What I wonder is, has anyone else ever heard this? I can't seem to find anything on the web to substansiate this claim. In any case, I only collect one of each state, but I've been hanging on to all the Kansas.

Don't know about the truck, Pale. I bought the Proof set every year from the US mint until a few years ago.

I read a story a few years ago about someone in England finding a coin dating back to the Roman era. It was in a soccer field, or something like that. They went back with one of those metal detectors and found more. A lot more.

If you're into that you must know the story. I read it maybe 5 years ago?

I read a story a few years ago about someone in England finding a coin dating back to the Roman era. It was in a soccer field, or something like that. They went back with one of those metal detectors and found more. A lot more.

If you're into that you must know the story. I read it maybe 5 years ago?

I do metal detecting on the school playground, collecting lost lunch money an stuff. I give the stuff to the school office.

when i worked the counter at mcdonald's thru HS, I used to come across all sorts of stuff. I have money from multiple countries like denmark, venezuela, barbados, and italy, double-ink-printed money, several paper denominations that are old-one is a $2 bill and one that is from 1928 that is VERY different from recent ones.

I also have one coin that says "Estados Unidos Mexicanos" which says it is worth $50. It is a real coin, but last I checked, Mexico was not listed as "Estados Unidos".

when i worked the counter at mcdonald's thru HS, I used to come across all sorts of stuff. I have money from multiple countries like denmark, venezuela, barbados, and italy, double-ink-printed money, several paper denominations that are old-one is a $2 bill and one that is from 1928 that is VERY different from recent ones.

I also have one coin that says "Estados Unidos Mexicanos" which says it is worth $50. It is a real coin, but last I checked, Mexico was not listed as "Estados Unidos".

My kid was about 3 when the Beanie Baby craze was at it's peak. I went to McDonald's every fucking day trying to get her the latest Beanie Baby. I wonder whatever happened to the Beanie Baby collectable market.

Later, once she got into Pokemon, it was Burger King.

The money I spent on Pokemon cards would probably total THOUSANDS!

My kid was about 3 when the Beanie Baby craze was at it's peak. I went to McDonald's every fucking day trying to get her the latest Beanie Baby. I wonder whatever happened to the Beanie Baby collectable market.

Later, once she got into Pokemon, it was Burger King.

The money I spent on Pokemon cards would probably total THOUSANDS!

sad thing is, now you can't give the mcD's beanies away now. I had no idea what the whole fuss was about. I did buy a few of them, but only because of the animal they were, like the husky dog, and all the cats. I actually started collecting all the cats and horses, but not because i thought they'd be worth money, just because I have a thing for cats and horses.

Forum List

Back