A Princeton sociologist spent 8 years asking rural Americans why they’re so pissed off

Robert Wuthnow, a sociologist at Princeton University, spent eight years interviewing Americans in small towns across the country. He had one goal: to understand why rural America is so angry with Washington.

"Wuthnow’s work resulted in a new book, The Left Behind: Decline and Rage in Rural America. He argues that rural Americans are less concerned about economic issues and more concerned about Washington threatening the social fabric of small towns and causing a “moral decline” in the country as a whole. The problem, though, is that it’s never quite clear what that means or how Washington is responsible for it."

And this is where he gets to the root
Sean Illing
"I guess I just don’t know how to respond to these sorts of complaints. Yes, the world has changed; it’s always changing. And I understand the sense of loss some people feel because of that, but at some point, we have to acknowledge that culture evolves and stop trying to unwind the historical clock."

They have been fighting cultural changes they already lost, then trump comes along and assures them he alone will turn back the clock and bring back their 1950's world of minorities and women knowing their places and then sells them MAGA hats

A Princeton sociologist spent 8 years asking rural Americans why they’re so pissed off
They are upset over moral decline??????????

So they elect the LEAST moral person in America to be president and to be their role model?

I don't quite know what to say.
You don’t get any more deprived than a Clinton

What findings, all I saw was
No you didn't, you saw nothing, because you read nothing. And I mentioned the finding in my post, literally in the post to which you replied. I think we can safely chalk you up to, "too much of a fucking intellectual sissy to deal with or even acknowledge ideas that don't affirm his fetishes, politics and superstitions"...which makes one wonder why such a thin-skinned sissy as you even opened the thread in the first place...

You're a fucking idiot, just because this yahoo wasted 8 years of most likely federal grant money, doesn't mean he has the ability to add 2+2. If he can't understand the explanations of plain spoken people or pretend they are some how inferior to his elitist ass, fuck him. Being from rural America I'm very sure the people he talked to adequately framed why they think Washington is the problem and he just didn't get it or refuses to accept it. People like you that applaud the moral decay of the country are creating an atmosphere where spree killers and mass murders flourish, you must really be proud of yourself.

In my book you can just FOAD.

What specifically did Trump do to make you angry?

Pretty much everything about him. You do know he is a liberal at heart don't you?

You can't name a one specific thing, yet he makes you angry?

Ok the great health care he promised cheaper and better.
Mexico paying for wall and liking it.
Tax cuts for uber wealthy and corporations while expanding their expenditures and eliminating ours. My taxes will go up 17.4%.
Giving us dirtier air and water.
Rolling bank Dodd-Frank to help insure another banking crisses.
I'm just about as pissed off by this as anyone. At almost retirement age and having paid for health insurance for my family for years, it was stunning how much my cost have gone up since the establishment of the ACA (Obamacare.) Now that my kids have moved out, yet are still single, except one, I still have to pay an absolute ass load of money. My oldest will fall off this coming September, he will turn 28,yet my cost will not go down any... still have to pay for the entire family right now. Hopefully the repel of the mandates will have a small, yet positive, effect on my monthly cost.
Oh, and the whole thing of "if you like your doctor, you keep your doctor" thing was a load of crap. I have not seen the same doctor twice in a row since 2013. The clinic I went to was great, up until that point, but skyrocketing cost, and availability of in network clinics keep shrinking, and my insurance keeps reassigning me to a new primary care provider.
The unintended consequences of "doing something" instead of "doing something the right way" has really put a strain on my family and me. Every time I hear "We gotta pass the bill to see whats in it" burns my ass worse than the standard 3 foot flame. Don't get me wrong, Republicans had 7 friggin years to come up with a workable alternative, and didn't do it, so they aren't off the hook either. The whole system is corrupt and needs to be burnt to the ground, and then the ashes fed into a plasma burner to cleanse it even further. To lay the blame at Trump's feet is fair, I guess, but his first 4 years aren't up yet, so maybe, hopefully, he can get folks together and come up with something fair to us all.

I should stay away from this one, but I won't. Mexico will never "like" paying for the wall, however, I don't think any reasonable person out there honestly thinks there is a way to do it. Not to say he won't try, The Bottom line here is; something has to be done about illegal immigration. My personal opinion is we need more man power, I haven't done the math, however I'm betting manpower vs an actual wall would be less expensive in the long run.
Hyperbole, thy name is "The Wall."

Tax cuts for uber wealthy and corporations while expanding their expenditures and eliminating ours. My taxes will go up 17.4%.
Really? You must be making some bank!
Otherwise, I'm gonna have to throw the Bullshit flag on this one and penalize you 15 yards for typing utter crap

Not so much. His EO's have taken out of play the more restrictive, unnecessary regulations put in place by an over reaching administration. Folks that are doing dirty to mother nature still have to clean up after themselves, close up pit mines, plant native trees and grasses when done. Frackers are still held responsible if they do something wrong and get their chemicals into ground water, they still have to clean it up and make it right.
Rolling bank Dodd-Frank to help insure another banking crisses,
Have you read Dodd-Frank? the very basic break down goes like this:
Banks "To Big To Fail" (FU BUSH!!) have to keep on hand larger reserves (capital) to cover accounts on hand and investments must be in "easily liquidated" assets in case of a run on banks. So, banks must have so much cash, and government securities......
Then, when the banks are handed 700 some odd billions of taxpayer dollars, as a "stimulus" (hahahahahahahaha) what do the banks do with it? Give ousted CEO's multi-million dollar severances, and store the rest to build up their cash reserves.
Only after those severance packages came out did the gubmint do anything..... once again, too little too late.... those unintended consequences once again. Damn, if only someone would have seen through what would happen to the money back in 2008.... Oh wait.
"The White House will call this a victory," said then-Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY). "But as credit tightens, regulations multiply, and job creation slows even further as a result of this bill, they'll have a hard time convincing the American people that this is a victory for them." -Friggin Mitch McConnell (probably the only thing he got right in 10 years)
When you stifle cash, and make it hard to get a loan, the economy isn't going to grow much. You not only make it hard for Joe Average to get a loan, you make it hard for small business' to get loans which, more often than not, creates a smaller jobs market, which in turn leads to higher un-employment, which leads to higher taxes for those actually earning a living, etc etc etc.... I will say one good thing about Dodd Frank is the whistle blower protections, that being said, I personally think that could have been done separately, and in a much better manner to insure those that do so, aren't black listed, or have any sort of retaliation come back on them... whatsoever.

To lay all your issues at the feet of a duly elected President is hogwash. What Trump managed to do, and lets face it, he was the lamb being led to slaughter by the Republicans in the face of the Clinton machine.... Any who, he beat both sides at their own game, and yet all he gets from the MSM is hate, rancor, and charges of racism. When in fact, he is merit based and expects results.
But whatever, hold onto your hate for him.....

Health care
Not a fan of ACA but it is here for now. Orange said gonna be great and cheap. Nope!

Mexico

We agree, I think. Wall stupid, let's enforce current laws AND add manpower and pay to border.

Taxes

Not even close to wealthy but since I now cannot write off my 30,000 miles of year travelling for work or food, or hotel, or clothes, or well you get the picture.

Environment

Sorry bro we break wide here, I like clean air and water and my kids and grandkids do as well!

Dodd-Frank

Yup I know about the parties they had with the money given to them and yup pissed to. Do not think pulling regulations off of them so they can do it again is wise though. Maybe Rump wants to butter their balls though so they may lend him more money that he won't pay back again, hard to say!

Dodd-Frank was a gift to large banks and a death nail for the smaller ones. Too big to fail got much larger under that stupid law.

trump comes along and assures them he alone will turn back the clock and bring back their 1950's world of minorities and women knowing their places
I see my former classmates can lie and project their own (deliberate) misunderstanding and hatred of President Trump upon total strangers, with the best of their disgruntled leftist ilk.

How many more of these I-hate-Trump-because-he's-a-poopy-head threads are you planning to open in the next few weeks or months? Or is there any limit at all?

I dislike the attack that most fly over states are old people that can't accept change. In my Midwest community, most were brought up on two principles, work hard, live a moral life(God). Neither one of those concepts seem to be outdated. Even with automation and change, the notion of self-reliance, hard work, and pride still have a place. Most where I live find it sad that coastal areas and cities want to be dependent, and have children who are dependent. It just seems like obvious and unnecessary decline. As for trying to live a "good" life, I know progs are uncomfortable with God or religons in general, but if they get rid of it, they need to replace it with something. My grandparents were very religious, they took moral behavior very seriously and passed it down to my parents and myself. It is easy to say that religion is not necessary for moral behavior, but is it true? A pragmatic, non-community held ethics system seems chaotic. People could just justify any behavior that suites them, and the community would have no common sense of right or wrong. Finally, in the Midwest there is a big belief in Justice. It is not popular for judges to legislate, for public officials to lie under oath, and for corruption on both sides to be above the law.

These "rural" people might be "pissed off," but we urban/suburban people are pissed off, too, and at them because they want to force their chosen lifestyle on the rest of us. I don't want to live like somebody in Arkansas or Mississippi or Missouri. Aside from obeying business laws, nobody is forcing them to do anything. Their support of trump, roy moore, et al., and their choice of elected officials shows that they support prostitution, infidelity, and the sexual use of children, as well as boundless political corruption and hatred of others, but maybe the rest of us don't. They are no better than anyone else. They just think they are.

the old geezers lost the culture wars, their time has past[/QUOTE]

The media tells everyone that traditional values are dead, but I assure you they are not. Millions of people disagree with you, including all ages and races. Anderson Cooper can't tell anyone how to live.

These "rural" people might be "pissed off," but we urban/suburban people are pissed off, too, and at them because they want to force their chosen lifestyle on the rest of us. I don't want to live like somebody in Arkansas or Mississippi or Missouri. Aside from obeying business laws, nobody is forcing them to do anything. Their support of trump, roy moore, et al., and their choice of elected officials shows that they support prostitution, infidelity, and the sexual use of children, as well as boundless political corruption and hatred of others, but maybe the rest of us don't. They are no better than anyone else. They just think they are.

I find it odd that you feel that small town culture is being forced on you, but that your urban views are not at all being forced on rural areas. Also, please do not use Trump or Roy Moore to create an argument that all republicans support immoral behavior. I do not like Trump's extra marital behavior, or the case against Moore. At the time, most of the country had no idea if the accusations against Moore were true or a political hit job. Trump isn't a nice guy, but at least he won't appease Iranians or crush Americans with taxes and regulations. Besides, the other candidate left people to die in a war zone for political purposes.

the old geezers lost the culture wars, their time has past

The media tells everyone that traditional values are dead, but I assure you they are not. Millions of people disagree with you, including all ages and races. Anderson Cooper can't tell anyone how to live.[/QUOTE]

Neither can jerry falwell or "focus on the family." Nobody in "the media" tells anyone that "traditional values are dead." Your mistake is that you seem to think that everyone has your same opinion as to what they mean and how they are lived out.

In #126, you stated:

Most where I live find it sad that coastal areas and cities want to be dependent, and have children who are dependent. It just seems like obvious and unnecessary decline. As for trying to live a "good" life, I know progs are uncomfortable with God or religons in general, but if they get rid of it, they need to replace it with something.
Why would you think that coastal people "want to be dependent, and have children who are dependent"? What I've seen living on the coast all of my life is that people want children to be born to adults who are ready to care for them and want to see children grow up sufficiently prepared and educated to become independent, productive adults. Education is very important and has always been emphasized.

We "progs" are not "uncomfortable with God or religons in general." But we do understand that each person is entitled to choose his or her approach to religion and spirituality, which cannot properly be imposed by some outsider. Different people, different ideas. I grew up in a predominantly white area with Christians of just about every denomination and sect, as well as a smallish Jewish population. Now I live in a very racially mixed area with not only Christians and Jews, but also Buddhists, Muslims, and Hindus. I just lost a wonderful friend who was Hindu, and I miss him. We all get along very well because we all share the same social values, i.e. mutual respect, caring, and a desire to help each other. We hear no bad words or swearing here. The worst language I have heard has been on USMB, and I have often said that I do not understand how people who say these things were raised. We don't carry guns here, either, because we are not afraid of each other.
I don't know what you do in your neighborhood, but I know how we live here in mine, so don't be so judgmental about people and things that you know nothing about.

Robert Wuthnow, a sociologist at Princeton University, spent eight years interviewing Americans in small towns across the country. He had one goal: to understand why rural America is so angry with Washington.

"Wuthnow’s work resulted in a new book, The Left Behind: Decline and Rage in Rural America. He argues that rural Americans are less concerned about economic issues and more concerned about Washington threatening the social fabric of small towns and causing a “moral decline” in the country as a whole. The problem, though, is that it’s never quite clear what that means or how Washington is responsible for it."

Sean Illing
"I guess I just don’t know how to respond to these sorts of complaints. Yes, the world has changed; it’s always changing. And I understand the sense of loss some people feel because of that, but at some point, we have to acknowledge that culture evolves and stop trying to unwind the historical clock."

They have been fighting cultural changes they already lost, then trump comes along and assures them he alone will turn back the clock and bring back their 1950's world of minorities and women knowing their places and then sells them MAGA hats

Yes, many of us long for some of the good ole days - but only the weak-minded believe that a carnival barker can bring them back. I'm sure we all look forward to heating our homes with coal again.

You think they're pissed off now, wait until they understand how Trump ruined their lives.

Pretty much everything about him. You do know he is a liberal at heart don't you?

I'm just about as pissed off by this as anyone. At almost retirement age and having paid for health insurance for my family for years, it was stunning how much my cost have gone up since the establishment of the ACA (Obamacare.) Now that my kids have moved out, yet are still single, except one, I still have to pay an absolute ass load of money. My oldest will fall off this coming September, he will turn 28,yet my cost will not go down any... still have to pay for the entire family right now. Hopefully the repel of the mandates will have a small, yet positive, effect on my monthly cost.
Oh, and the whole thing of "if you like your doctor, you keep your doctor" thing was a load of crap. I have not seen the same doctor twice in a row since 2013. The clinic I went to was great, up until that point, but skyrocketing cost, and availability of in network clinics keep shrinking, and my insurance keeps reassigning me to a new primary care provider.
The unintended consequences of "doing something" instead of "doing something the right way" has really put a strain on my family and me. Every time I hear "We gotta pass the bill to see whats in it" burns my ass worse than the standard 3 foot flame. Don't get me wrong, Republicans had 7 friggin years to come up with a workable alternative, and didn't do it, so they aren't off the hook either. The whole system is corrupt and needs to be burnt to the ground, and then the ashes fed into a plasma burner to cleanse it even further. To lay the blame at Trump's feet is fair, I guess, but his first 4 years aren't up yet, so maybe, hopefully, he can get folks together and come up with something fair to us all.

I should stay away from this one, but I won't. Mexico will never "like" paying for the wall, however, I don't think any reasonable person out there honestly thinks there is a way to do it. Not to say he won't try, The Bottom line here is; something has to be done about illegal immigration. My personal opinion is we need more man power, I haven't done the math, however I'm betting manpower vs an actual wall would be less expensive in the long run.

Otherwise, I'm gonna have to throw the Bullshit flag on this one and penalize you 15 yards for typing utter crap

Not so much. His EO's have taken out of play the more restrictive, unnecessary regulations put in place by an over reaching administration. Folks that are doing dirty to mother nature still have to clean up after themselves, close up pit mines, plant native trees and grasses when done. Frackers are still held responsible if they do something wrong and get their chemicals into ground water, they still have to clean it up and make it right.
Banks "To Big To Fail" (FU BUSH!!) have to keep on hand larger reserves (capital) to cover accounts on hand and investments must be in "easily liquidated" assets in case of a run on banks. So, banks must have so much cash, and government securities......
Then, when the banks are handed 700 some odd billions of taxpayer dollars, as a "stimulus" (hahahahahahahaha) what do the banks do with it? Give ousted CEO's multi-million dollar severances, and store the rest to build up their cash reserves.
Only after those severance packages came out did the gubmint do anything..... once again, too little too late.... those unintended consequences once again. Damn, if only someone would have seen through what would happen to the money back in 2008.... Oh wait.
"The White House will call this a victory," said then-Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY). "But as credit tightens, regulations multiply, and job creation slows even further as a result of this bill, they'll have a hard time convincing the American people that this is a victory for them." -Friggin Mitch McConnell (probably the only thing he got right in 10 years)
When you stifle cash, and make it hard to get a loan, the economy isn't going to grow much. You not only make it hard for Joe Average to get a loan, you make it hard for small business' to get loans which, more often than not, creates a smaller jobs market, which in turn leads to higher un-employment, which leads to higher taxes for those actually earning a living, etc etc etc.... I will say one good thing about Dodd Frank is the whistle blower protections, that being said, I personally think that could have been done separately, and in a much better manner to insure those that do so, aren't black listed, or have any sort of retaliation come back on them... whatsoever.

To lay all your issues at the feet of a duly elected President is hogwash. What Trump managed to do, and lets face it, he was the lamb being led to slaughter by the Republicans in the face of the Clinton machine.... Any who, he beat both sides at their own game, and yet all he gets from the MSM is hate, rancor, and charges of racism. When in fact, he is merit based and expects results.

Health care
Not a fan of ACA but it is here for now. Orange said gonna be great and cheap. Nope!

Mexico

We agree, I think. Wall stupid, let's enforce current laws AND add manpower and pay to border.

Taxes

Not even close to wealthy but since I now cannot write off my 30,000 miles of year travelling for work or food, or hotel, or clothes, or well you get the picture.

Environment

Sorry bro we break wide here, I like clean air and water and my kids and grandkids do as well!

Dodd-Frank

Yup I know about the parties they had with the money given to them and yup pissed to. Do not think pulling regulations off of them so they can do it again is wise though. Maybe Rump wants to butter their balls though so they may lend him more money that he won't pay back again, hard to say!

Dodd-Frank was a gift to large banks and a death nail for the smaller ones. Too big to fail got much larger under that stupid law.

I get all that no bill/law will be a perfect fit for every. Just hope we never have to look at another 2008 like collapse again!

Sean Illing

It's a problem.

People are often angry but don't understand why. Others tell them why, but they're not telling them the truth. They believe this lie and then they can't turn back from it because that would be to admit they're stupid or something.

Self reflection?

Do you have anything to offer this conversation?

I asked a question, and obviously you don't know the answer.

`
Poor deluded evangelical trump thralls. They see him like this.....
`
`

12221.jpg

`​

You think they're pissed off now, wait until they understand how Trump ruined their lives.

They won't find that out because it hasn't happened. He may have ruined your misguided desires for socialism, but that is good for the majority of us.

Personally, I think Trump is a lout, but I also think he is exactly what this country needs at this time in history. The hatred that he has generated in left wing loons is proof of that.

Sean Illing

It's a problem.

People are often angry but don't understand why. Others tell them why, but they're not telling them the truth. They believe this lie and then they can't turn back from it because that would be to admit they're stupid or something.

Self reflection?

Do you have anything to offer this conversation?

I asked a question, and obviously you don't know the answer.

You asked the sort of question a 12 year old fuck head might ask. Do you really expect an adult answer from a retarded question for children?

Health care

Mexico

Taxes

Environment

Dodd-Frank

I get all that no bill/law will be a perfect fit for every. Just hope we never have to look at another 2008 like collapse again!
The saddest thing here is, we will, regardless of who is in charge. It's just the nature of things. Ups and downs, highs and lows. To hope it won't happen again is really nice, but we will always have a "course correction" when it comes to the economy.
The subprime meltdown of 2008 could have been avoided had those making 20k a year not been pushed into buying 250k homes they couldn't afford the mortgage on. I get the idea that those loans would eventually be paid back or bought up etc etc.... but when they've literally flooded the market to the point as the 2008 bubble burst.... well, you reap what you sow. With Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae leading the way. Once again, our elected officials trying to do something, anything instead of looking at the unintended consequences of what they were doing.
https://www.huduser.gov/portal/Publications/PDF/gse.pdf
So, before you say hindsight is 20/20, no, there were plenty of warnings of what would happen with the housing industry. Our elected officials either ignored or dismissed those warnings and felt that housing would continue to increase in value. However, when foreclosures and new homes built cause an unexpected housing glut..... well, you get things like HARP/HAMP and over a trillion dollars (that's TRILLION, with a T) added to the national debt for individual bailouts, which keeps getting extended over and over and over again.

Health care

Mexico

Taxes

Environment

Dodd-Frank

The saddest thing here is, we will, regardless of who is in charge. It's just the nature of things. Ups and downs, highs and lows. To hope it won't happen again is really nice, but we will always have a "course correction" when it comes to the economy.
The subprime meltdown of 2008 could have been avoided had those making 20k a year not been pushed into buying 250k homes they couldn't afford the mortgage on. I get the idea that those loans would eventually be paid back or bought up etc etc.... but when they've literally flooded the market to the point as the 2008 bubble burst.... well, you reap what you sow. With Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae leading the way. Once again, our elected officials trying to do something, anything instead of looking at the unintended consequences of what they were doing.
https://www.huduser.gov/portal/Publications/PDF/gse.pdf
So, before you say hindsight is 20/20, no, there were plenty of warnings of what would happen with the housing industry. Our elected officials either ignored or dismissed those warnings and felt that housing would continue to increase in value. However, when foreclosures and new homes built cause an unexpected housing glut..... well, you get things like HARP/HAMP and over a trillion dollars (that's TRILLION, with a T) added to the national debt for individual bailouts, which keeps getting extended over and over and over again.

Agreed, both parties are just as guilty. But why make it just as easy to do again.

Forum List

Back