A picture of poverty state by state

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
Life Inc. - A picture of poverty state by state

A new interactive map from The Associated Press shows in stark relief how some states gained ground in the fight against poverty, particularly during the economic boom times of the late 1990s and early 2000s, before backtracking over the past few years.

The graphic rendering of poverty data released by the U.S. Census last week also shows that some states are faring better than others when it comes to poverty. Still, not many states have escaped the recent economic malaise without some increase in the percentage of people struggling to make ends meet.

For 23 grand a year a family can live like rock stars in Ecuador.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBqavEBA6rQ]Living the Good Life in Cotacachi, Ecuador - YouTube[/ame]

The median household income in Waldo County is $40,441 compared with a statewide average of $45,832.

o
14.5% of Waldo County residents live below the poverty line compared with a statewide average of 12.2%.

source

Indiana has not fared well.
Despite the notion people have, Indiana used to be a manufacturing hub for automobiles and steel manufacturing.
Not any more.
Just within 100 miles from my home in the past 7-8 years alone.

Lost manufacturing plants:
General Motors - 2
Ford Motor Company - 2
G.E. - laaarge facility - gone to Mexico
Otis Elevator
RCA
Delta Faucet

If you added all of these up - I bet it is close to 10,000 lost manufacturing jobs in less than 10 years.
But hey - I hear Starbucks and WalMart is hiring.

New Topics

Forum List

Back