A note on salt

MtnBiker

Sep 28, 2003
Rocky Mountains
When using salt for cooking it is best to use Kosher salt or sea salt.

I prefer Kosher, it has a larger grain and is easier to grap when adding a pinch at a time.

The reasaon to use kosher salt as compared to table salt is kosher is not treated with iodine. Iodine was introduce into table salt many years ago as a way to have iodine in peoples diet. Iodine is a neccesity to prevent goiters.

The iodine is actually noticable on the palate, try tasting table salt and kosher salt side by side and see. So for best results use kosher salt. I buy one box and it lasts me about a year. Then I just have a small bowl by the stove to grab as I need it.

:)

I love it too!

I also keep sea salt though - I go through about 15 lbs of sea salt a month for my business. After seeing it that much, I have no desire to eat it LOL The kosher IS better for cooking.

I prefer sea salt as well. I must admit, though, to rarely using salt either in cooking or at the table. Only on potatoes or in pasta/polenta water!

Ive been looking for a new polenta recipe - do you have one that you wouldnt mind sharing? :)

Originally posted by KLSuddeth
Ive been looking for a new polenta recipe - do you have one that you wouldnt mind sharing? :)
As someone who's 100% italian descent, I'm embarassed to say I use boxed cornmeal- colavita ususally. I don't do anything special just boil the water w/salt, add the cornmeal & stir. Sometimes I add a bit of mozzarella cheese right before serving for flavor. Moroncially simple.

Also, with leftovers, I typically shape it like a french bread and refrigerate. Then I slice it and fry in butter/olive oil. Yum.

Im half italian and half cajun and dont feel bad lol - Ive used premade polenta when I just didnt feel like even boiling water.
(thats bad haha)

I knew my grandmother was turning over in her grave when I used a roux mix for my gumbo - oy vey.....NOT good!

:laugh:

Originally posted by KLSuddeth

Saute some spinich (or you can even use frozen that has the water squeezed out of it) After it is cooked down add some heavy cream and fresh grated parmesian cheese. Serve it over polenta that has been fried in olive oil. Pretty tasty.

i usually use table salt for taste. but i must have wierd taste buds becasue alot of people tell me im salt happy. so i dont usually use if for cooking unless the recipe calls for it. its just esier for them to add salt.

Table salt is great for people to add more salt at the table if they wish. But for cooking kosher or sea salt is best. I do use salt and fresh ground pepper quite often in cooking. It is important to season meats, chicken, pork and seafood before cooking. Salt actually brings out natural flavors in the item being cooked. As well as it draws out moisture, which aids in browing and carmelizing meats.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
i meant when i cook i season to my pallet. i try not to when cooking for others, but somtimes i forget

Forum List

Back