a new party

democrats are moving too far left

republicans have gone too far right

i find myself appreciating rinos and dinos more these days

we need a third party for the majority of us who are moderates
conservatives are mainstream, the Dems are far left wing extremist who are attempting create a one Party banana republic

right wingers are not mainstream

REAL conservatives might be but right wingers are not
I am a conservative as it applies to how I live my life. I follow an ideology that helps me make decisions for myself, my family , my community and my business.
Does that make me a right winger?
Lets do the check box.

Personal responsibility....check
Learn from my mistakes....check
do not blame others for my decisions.....check
Do not count on others to help me.....check
Do not ask others to help me.....check
Never count on government to help me other than national security which I am not allowed to be a prat of....check
Abortion....dont believe in it as I was supposed to be an aborted baby....and instead I am 35 years married, well educated, a couple of married kids and a business that survivied COVID....BUT....I will always support a SCOTUS decision....check
I am not a fan of welfare but my human emotion allows me to respect it and support it....albeit. no fan at all. I never took it and trust me...at the age of 22 and homeless, I needed it.

SO am I a right winger?

You tell me.

i didnt say “policies”

i said the party itself has moved too far right

anti gay rights

the war on pot

advocating violence against their enemies

indulging a dictatorial traitor

agreeing that the only good democrat is a dead one
You got one right: we agree that the only good Democrat is a dead one.

One out of five ain't bad.

i didnt say “policies”

anti gay rights

the war on pot

Yea, we agree that the only good Democrat is a dead one.

Nah...Democrats keep us conservatives in check.

Im OK with that.

It is how it works.

i didnt say “policies”

anti gay rights

the war on pot

Im OK with that.

It is how it works.
Democrats have been the sole reason for compromise. The sole reason.

I've largely given up on this idea, considering the stranglehold the two "major" parties have on our election system. Plus, if such a party can't appear NOW, as ridiculous and polarized as things are, one NEVER will.

What I'm hoping now is that one of the parties will wake up and realize that a majority of the country wants moderation and cooperation, and be the first to take advantage of that. The problem is that the wings have most of the energy, and therefore the influence.

I don't know what fixes this.
It is actually more simple than you realize.
The Constitution is not a living document. It is a guideline.
It has resulted in the development of a union
It has allowed the freeing of people in bondage
It has allowed for fair elections
It has allowed for a SCOTUS that makes monumental decisions
It has allowed for the right to vote for women
It has allowed for the right to vote for all Americans
It has allowed for equal rights for all Americans
It has allowed for 3 equal branches of government offering checks and balances.

Sure, we were imperfect as a country back in the 1700's....we were new, we had habits of our heritages.....but it is our constitution that FORCED us to right our wrongs.

So what fixes it? Let the constitution do its job.

It really isnt that difficult. Only to the politicians who are trying to get votes.

And THAT is the problem.
Let the Constitution do what? Mind explaining further?
Not to start an argument. What is considered moderate these days? Like for these topics:
abortion
healthcare
taxes
national defense
foreign policy at large
What is the moderate position on each?
Abortion is the closest to being a binary argument. The rest all exist along a continuum and are not binary.

And I think we've fallen into a trap, thinking that one side has to "win" on any given issue, and one side has to "lose".

How about both sides collaborating, innovating, and creating something NEW, like our Constitution? That way we all have skin in the game.

America used to be able to innovate, back when we were great.

I agree, progress is only made through compromise and collaboration. But, that's not really a stance it's just asking the current parties to talk to each other. I was more curious as to what are the political beliefs of a moderate. Usually when they are asked it's quite clear that they would more than fit into one party or the other.
I think there are a couple of characteristics, depending on the individual moderate. So:
  • Some moderates have strong feelings on any given issue, but their opinions as a whole don't fit with one of the tribes. So, a moderate may be passionately pro choice and passionately pro lowering income taxes. Neither tribe, then, is a fit for them.
  • Some moderates really do want to find some kind of middle ground on most issues. They believe that there are decent or fair arguments on both ends, and want to at least begin the conversation by finding shared views and going from there.
  • Some moderates think that both tribes are narcissistic gasbags and would rather just approach each issue on its own merits, taking some ideas from column A, some from column B, and the rest from new ideas.
My two cents, anyway.

I don't think you have to be a 'moderate' to want to compromise. As a liberal, I'd rather get something rather than nothing.

But since this thread is about a moderate party, what is that exactly? How are a group of people who claim to be in the middle however their various opinions on a range of topics will individually slide from liberal to conservative leaning is supposed to make up a cohesive political party?
That I couldn't tell you, since we've never really had one. I think a glimpse of it came a few years ago when there was talk of a Kasich/Hickenlooper ticket.

But to your point, I think a party that was clearly committed to collaboration and new ideas would draw many people who didn't necessarily agree with its candidates on every issue. So the appeal would be more about general approach than specific positions.
Please do not build John Kasich into what he is not. He is far from moderate.
Lets see.
the constitution allowed for women to vote. It was only because of the constitution that were given the right to vote. I agree with the decision and I respect it.
The consitution allowed for the decision of Roe V Wade. I disagree with the decision, but I respect it.

You see, our constitution was written in a way where it allowed for debate and it allowed for majority decision and implementation of laws and rights.

Seems to be working well.

Albeit, there are those that say it is a living document and we must adjust to it.

To me? That is wrong. It is a document and we must apply it....not Obey it....that would be wrong....apply it. And that is what we do.

And it is working.
Good points but it only works when people stand up for rights. I think that is why many call it a living document.
We have three branches of government. 2 of them are elected and one is appointed by the executive branch...however...with the confirmation of the senate. Those elections are how people can stand up for their rights. But when people are voted in they still must adhere to the constitution as it is a guidance for legislative decisions made by those elected.
Sure, protests are good....and they allow the legislators to hesitate and reconsider....but it is the constitution that keeps them in check and not simply do what they want to do for votes, but instead so what the constitution has deemed best for the overall good.
I know...the left would love to toss the constitution. But without it? We would not have women voting, African Americans voting. abortion legalized. The ACLU pushing rights of Americans.
The constitution ensures we do the right thing and not do something that can be damaging.
A good example is the ACA. Justice Roberts was well aware that the constitution does not allow for forcing anyone to purchase something from the day they are born to the day they die. So he called it a tax.
For right or wrong and regardless of how you feel...it was the constitution that guided that decision. And without the creativity of Justice Roberts, the act was unconstitutional.

Just thin about this....what if a law was passed that said you MUST buy only American made cars....and you MUST buy it at no age older than 18? It is the constitution that prevents such ridiculous laws being imposed on the American People.

the left would love to toss the constitution?

not sure there is much evidence of that.

and who do you consider “left”?
dolly parton?

meanwhile there is tons of evidence that the RIGHT would rewrite the constitution, insist it is a christian document, and use it to create a theocracy that denies rights and protections to gays, atheists, nonchristian religions...

and the dominionists would BAN evolution.....by their own admission...
Wow. I thought I was debating someone open minded.
But once you went in the direction of Christian document I realized I was not.
Take care

i dont want christian sharia law

do you?

i want fair laws based on logic and reason, dont you?

i dont want american declared a christian nation

do you?

Who defines logic and reason?

i didnt say “policies”

anti gay rights

the war on pot

Im OK with that.

It is how it works.
Thats doesnt make sense. It take a minimum of two to compromise.
I see you have never negotiated before.

I've largely given up on this idea, considering the stranglehold the two "major" parties have on our election system. Plus, if such a party can't appear NOW, as ridiculous and polarized as things are, one NEVER will.

What I'm hoping now is that one of the parties will wake up and realize that a majority of the country wants moderation and cooperation, and be the first to take advantage of that. The problem is that the wings have most of the energy, and therefore the influence.

Sure, we were imperfect as a country back in the 1700's....we were new, we had habits of our heritages.....but it is our constitution that FORCED us to right our wrongs.

It really isnt that difficult. Only to the politicians who are trying to get votes.

And THAT is the problem.
Not to start an argument. What is considered moderate these days? Like for these topics:
abortion
healthcare
taxes
national defense
foreign policy at large
Abortion is the closest to being a binary argument. The rest all exist along a continuum and are not binary.

And I think we've fallen into a trap, thinking that one side has to "win" on any given issue, and one side has to "lose".

How about both sides collaborating, innovating, and creating something NEW, like our Constitution? That way we all have skin in the game.

I agree, progress is only made through compromise and collaboration. But, that's not really a stance it's just asking the current parties to talk to each other. I was more curious as to what are the political beliefs of a moderate. Usually when they are asked it's quite clear that they would more than fit into one party or the other.
I think there are a couple of characteristics, depending on the individual moderate. So:
  • Some moderates have strong feelings on any given issue, but their opinions as a whole don't fit with one of the tribes. So, a moderate may be passionately pro choice and passionately pro lowering income taxes. Neither tribe, then, is a fit for them.
  • Some moderates really do want to find some kind of middle ground on most issues. They believe that there are decent or fair arguments on both ends, and want to at least begin the conversation by finding shared views and going from there.
  • Some moderates think that both tribes are narcissistic gasbags and would rather just approach each issue on its own merits, taking some ideas from column A, some from column B, and the rest from new ideas.
My two cents, anyway.

I don't think you have to be a 'moderate' to want to compromise. As a liberal, I'd rather get something rather than nothing.

But since this thread is about a moderate party, what is that exactly? How are a group of people who claim to be in the middle however their various opinions on a range of topics will individually slide from liberal to conservative leaning is supposed to make up a cohesive political party?
That I couldn't tell you, since we've never really had one. I think a glimpse of it came a few years ago when there was talk of a Kasich/Hickenlooper ticket.

But to your point, I think a party that was clearly committed to collaboration and new ideas would draw many people who didn't necessarily agree with its candidates on every issue. So the appeal would be more about general approach than specific positions.
Lets see.
the constitution allowed for women to vote. It was only because of the constitution that were given the right to vote. I agree with the decision and I respect it.
The consitution allowed for the decision of Roe V Wade. I disagree with the decision, but I respect it.

You see, our constitution was written in a way where it allowed for debate and it allowed for majority decision and implementation of laws and rights.

Albeit, there are those that say it is a living document and we must adjust to it.

To me? That is wrong. It is a document and we must apply it....not Obey it....that would be wrong....apply it. And that is what we do.

And it is working.
Good points but it only works when people stand up for rights. I think that is why many call it a living document.

No, the reason they try to call it a "living document" is so that they can read a bunch of stuff into it that's not actually there, rather than having to go through the tedious work of convincing enough people to agree with them to change it through the legal process.

How so? Which specific policies do you consider "too far right"?

i didnt say “policies”

anti gay rights

the war on pot

in america those are left wing policies not rightwing,,,

i didnt say “policies”

anti gay rights

the war on pot

Im OK with that.

It is how it works.
I know it takes two to compromise.

The right is the side that always caves.

Democrats have been the sole reason for compromise.

You're gong to have to define what it is to be moderate these days.

moderate

dont want civil war
dont want religious laws
laws based on logic, reason and necessity
government out of private life
police do their jobs without killing people in the streets
fair tax system
affordable education
affordable healthcare

limit immigration to people who;
speak enough english to get by
have employment ready for them
will not get goverment handouts

stop the war on pot
all citizens have equal rights and protections

be more small business friendly
.....I've been over the police crap you mention ---I've got a thread on it---your claim is pure bullshit

...wars????!!! WTF does that mean?????!!!!

..all citizens DO have equal rights/etc

I KNEW your definition would be babble crap

conservatives are mainstream, the Dems are far left wing extremist who are attempting create a one Party banana republic

I am a conservative as it applies to how I live my life. I follow an ideology that helps me make decisions for myself, my family , my community and my business.
Lets do the check box.

Never count on government to help me other than national security which I am not allowed to be a prat of....check
Abortion....dont believe in it as I was supposed to be an aborted baby....and instead I am 35 years married, well educated, a couple of married kids and a business that survivied COVID....BUT....I will always support a SCOTUS decision....check
I am not a fan of welfare but my human emotion allows me to respect it and support it....albeit. no fan at all. I never took it and trust me...at the age of 22 and homeless, I needed it.

SO am I a right winger?

You tell me.

no

i respect all of your positions

and i want pot legal and equal rights for gays, atheists, nonchristians

and i dont want the bible used as law of the land

am i a leftwinger?

Lets do the check box.

SO am I a right winger?

You tell me.

no

i respect all of your positions

and i want pot legal and equal rights for gays, atheists, nonchristians

and i dont want the bible used as law of the land

am i a leftwinger?
what rights do gays, atheists and nonchristians not have?

i didnt say “policies”

anti gay rights

the war on pot

Im OK with that.

It is how it works.
I know it takes two to compromise.

The right is the side that always caves.

Democrats have been the sole reason for compromise.
so the one who caves is not the one who compromises?

Am I missing something here?

Yes, I am.

I am no idiot. One who compromises ensures the opposite doesnt cave. Instead those that compromise makes sure no one caves and both sides get some of what they want.

That is compromise.

I have absolutely no idea what you are saying.

Just to clarify...one side makes the other side cave and that is compromise?

Wow.

You're gong to have to define what it is to be moderate these days.

moderate

dont want civil war
dont want religious laws
laws based on logic, reason and necessity
government out of private life
police do their jobs without killing people in the streets
fair tax system
affordable education
affordable healthcare

limit immigration to people who;
speak enough english to get by
have employment ready for them
will not get goverment handouts

stop the war on pot
all citizens have equal rights and protections

be more small business friendly
so moderate is hating cops/whites/ America according you
..and you LOVE criminals ---got it

You're gong to have to define what it is to be moderate these days. Not that you can't, I just genuinely don't know what that means anymore.

Well, if you know what "left" and "right" are, just figure it's anything that aren't those...

So you support the party that wants the Red New deal, to end the filibuster and stack the court, eliminate our healthcare system for a government program, quietly allows leftists to riot and burn our inner cities, but alas you say, were is the "moderate" party ???

What a stupid douche, LOL

And THAT is the problem.
abortion
healthcare
taxes
national defense
foreign policy at large

My two cents, anyway.

Lets see.

And it is working.
We have three branches of government. 2 of them are elected and one is appointed by the executive branch...however...with the confirmation of the senate. Those elections are how people can stand up for their rights. But when people are voted in they still must adhere to the constitution as it is a guidance for legislative decisions made by those elected.
Sure, protests are good....and they allow the legislators to hesitate and reconsider....but it is the constitution that keeps them in check and not simply do what they want to do for votes, but instead so what the constitution has deemed best for the overall good.
I know...the left would love to toss the constitution. But without it? We would not have women voting, African Americans voting. abortion legalized. The ACLU pushing rights of Americans.
The constitution ensures we do the right thing and not do something that can be damaging.
A good example is the ACA. Justice Roberts was well aware that the constitution does not allow for forcing anyone to purchase something from the day they are born to the day they die. So he called it a tax.
For right or wrong and regardless of how you feel...it was the constitution that guided that decision. And without the creativity of Justice Roberts, the act was unconstitutional.

Just thin about this....what if a law was passed that said you MUST buy only American made cars....and you MUST buy it at no age older than 18? It is the constitution that prevents such ridiculous laws being imposed on the American People.

the left would love to toss the constitution?

not sure there is much evidence of that.

and who do you consider “left”?
dolly parton?

meanwhile there is tons of evidence that the RIGHT would rewrite the constitution, insist it is a christian document, and use it to create a theocracy that denies rights and protections to gays, atheists, nonchristian religions...

and the dominionists would BAN evolution.....by their own admission...

Not much evidence the left wants to toss the Constitution? Is that aside from the fact that they try to rewrite it or utterly ignore it every chance they get?

And what is this "tons of evidence" that the right is trying to rewrite the Constitution at all, let alone "insist it's a Christian document", or any nonsense about "theocracies denying rights and protections"? Sounds to me like you think the Constitution is all the bullshit talking points your masters have told you, rather than the actual written document.

New Topics

Forum List

Back