A new integrated solar battery based on carbon nitride photoanodes

Jessica-stormlover

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2021
by Ingrid Fadelli , Tech Xplore
In recent years, researchers have been trying to create increasingly efficient solar technologies and more sustainable battery designs. Among emerging sustainable energy solutions are solar batteries, systems that can store the energy collected by solar cells or photovoltaic (PV) systems.

A research group at the Max Planck Institute for Solid State Research, supervised by Prof. Bettina Lotsch, recently introduced a sustainable integrated solar battery design based on materials that abundant on Earth. Their design, presented in a paper published in Energy & Environmental Science, is based on a bi-functional carbon nitride (K-PHI) photoanode that can both absorb light and store electric charge.

"The solar battery research field is still young and as such very diverse in concepts and ideas, with different levels of integration," Andreas Gouder, one of the researchers who carried out the study, told Tech Xplore. "Integration means, that the two functionalities—light energy conversion and energy storage—are built into a single device. This can be done via different approaches, e.g., by adding a photoactive electrode into a battery, or—as done here—by using a bifunctional electrode material. However, integration may also affect charge transfer."

This is awesome because it won't rely on materials that are rare and so we won't be so relied on china and two it will allow for us to store more of the energy from solar.

This is awesome because it won't rely on materials that are rare and so we won't be so relied on china and two it will allow for us to store more of the energy from solar.
”Trying to” and actually doing it in an economically viable way are two different things.

”Trying to” and actually doing it in an economically viable way are two different things.

Yep, go back over the past 30 years of all these gee-whiz! ideas and see how few have ever come to fruition.

Heck, they've been talking up fusion for 40+ years and we are still nowhere with that, in spite of some ludicrous recent claims.

Big deal

Libs announce a new wonder battery thets going to save the polar bears about every 3 to 6 months

And none have lived up to expectations so far

They are at least trying instead of throwing rocks in the road.
They are literally trying to ruin the economy

Either to punish the western world for what they consoder ill gotten gain at the expense of the third world,

Or to reduce our standard of living in a failed effort to save Mother Earth

They are at least trying instead of throwing rocks in the road.
They were trying before dickhead joe and the Progs impoverished millions of people. Over 30 years ago and more I remember shingles for roofs were supposed to have solar panel technologies built into them. It was going to give us nirvana. And it was supposed to be soon after all of the articles and brouhaha over it. Today...Nothing! A lot of the technology we are seeing today was in the pipeline before the progs went to Oz. We will see improvements, however the Progs are not the reason.

They were trying before dickhead joe and the Progs impoverished millions of people. Over 30 years ago and more I remember shingles for roofs were supposed to have solar panel technologies built into them. It was going to give us nirvana. And it was supposed to be soon after all of the articles and brouhaha over it. Today...Nothing! A lot of the technology we are seeing today was in the pipeline before the progs went to Oz. We will see improvements, however the Progs are not the reason.
I am sure you will get over it.

They are literally trying to ruin the economy

Either to punish the western world for what they consoder ill gotten gain at the expense of the third world,

Or to reduce our standard of living in a failed effort to save Mother Earth
I see, you know so much but do so little.

They are called ideas that you have none of.
There are plenty of ideas, but nothing to show for them. For example, where are the robots for everyday life? To help around the house. I saw a Twilight Zone from the 60s where they had a boxing robot.

I'm all for new technologies, only trouble is, the laws of physics limit the usefulness of battery storage.

Polar bears aren't worth saving
Let me be clear. I DONT HATE POLAR BEARS

I dont even know any polar bears

They will survive as long as nature wants them to, and go the way of the dinosaur when nature decides, Greenpeace wackos not withstanding

Forum List

Back