A Navy Captain’s Brave Fight Against Coronavirus There’s no social distancing on an aircraft carrier, so an emergency stop was the right call.

The Pentagon is punishing warship commanders for acting in the best interest of protecting human life by aborting military missions when coronavirus infects the crew.

The Pentagon has been hiding the effect of coronavirus on the military and it is likely that infections are accelerating because of Pentagon's inaction and valuing military missions ahead of the lives of their crews.

Could we see warships returning with large numbers of dead sailors?

A Navy Captain’s Brave Fight Against Coronavirus

There’s no social distancing on an aircraft carrier, so an emergency stop was the right call.

By James Stavridis
April 1, 2020, 11:24 PM GMT+7

I have been a ship captain, a commodore in charge of a group of destroyers, and an admiral in command of a carrier strike group with a nuclear aircraft carrier, the USS Enterprise. In the course of my career, I made many hard choices at sea in both peace and combat — but I never faced the kind of hard choice that the captain of the carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt, Brett Crozier, just had to make.

Faced with the coronavirus sweeping through his 5,000-sailor crew, he reached out to his chain of command and requested permission to abort his assigned mission patrolling the Pacific and South China Sea, and come to all stop at Guam to disinfect his ship and save his crew from unnecessary medical risks. How should we evaluate his actions in the face of an invisible but deadly foe?

Let’s start by understanding what life on a Navy warship is like. Think of the kitchen in a suburban home — a fairly nice sized one with an island and granite counters. That’s about the size of most Navy “berthing compartments,” the bunk room where the sailors sleep. In that space, a dozen sailors each have a tight single bunk bed and a small locker to store their clothes. They will share a shower, a couple of sinks and a commode or two.

When the sailors queue up for meals, it is a long human line, snaking down a tight corridor, with everyone packed together on one side to allow people to pass to and from their assigned stations. Even the watch stations on the bridge and in the combat information center have everyone seated shoulder to shoulder.

It is the exact opposite of the social distancing civilians have rightly been asked to practice. The 18th century wit Samuel Johnson said of Britain’s Royal Navy that serving in a warship is like “is being in jail, with the chance of being drowned.” Life on a Navy ship isn’t as bad as jail, of course, but you get the idea.

So those berthing compartments, unfortunately, have become “birthing compartments,” as in birthing the coronavirus. When Crozier first heard he had a few cases, he must have felt his heart skip a beat, as the odds were high that many, many more cases were already circulating through the crew. Very shortly, he had 20 cases, then 50, then 100. His physicians, consulting with the Navy medical establishment ashore, would no doubt have recommended doing all the things that were tried on cruise ships — isolating the sick, treating them as best they could (even a carrier has only a handful of medical personnel onboard), spreading out everyone else, and testing as many as possible.

The problem, of course, is that unlike a cruise liner — where passengers can hunker down in their own stateroom — those berthing compartments, chow lines and watch stations were designed for close-quarter contact. And to make it worse, everybody is sitting on a nuclear reactor that is loaded with jet fuel, high-grade explosives, bombs and missiles.

Crozier certainly knows that the mission comes first. And in his heartfelt letter, he acknowledged that if we were in a war, he would simply do the best he could, hope most of the infected had only mild symptoms, and go to the fight weakened but hopefully operational. But the USS Theodore Roosevelt was not headed to war, a circumstance in which the health of the force has to come first. In this case, the extraordinary choice was to evacuate the crew (all but the 10% needed to run the reactor and disinfect the ship) and keep the ship parked in Guam for at least two weeks. ...

Even Navy captains have to go through their chain of command. The Navy Secretary and the CNO had plans in the works to take care of the problem. Instead the captain jumped the gun ruined his career.

Sending letter on letterhead to SF chronicle is worst breach of OPSEC by commander of a strategic asset I have ever heard of.

Allowing people under the Captain's command to die needlessly is worse.
The mission comes first....pacifist

Cruising in circles until commanded to shoot?
..I was in the USMC for 8 years.....the military is a lot more disciplined than the civilians--and they are younger/in great shape/etc.....your article is bullshit---I've been on 4 ships.....the Navy/Marines can issue policies to curb chances of spreading the virus....yes, it's super close quarters/etc....but they can send squads/etc to chow at certain times to keep distance/etc....
....in BootCamp we were specifically TRAINED not to touch our faces/cough/etc
...the military cleans their areas EVERYDAY--spotless--and inspected

Why is the Pentagon concealing Covid-19 cases? Is the problem out of control in the military?

the Pentagon ''conceals'' all kinds of stuff all the time!!! DUH

Truth is the first casualty of the military.
you don't know the meaning of the word
you don't know shit about the military

I earned my bone spurs unlike your hero Dopey Donald Trump. Your CIC.

Hundreds were pictured in the gathering in the ship’s hangar deck and many chanted Capt. Brett Crozier’s name in multiple videos posted to social media.

The Pentagon is punishing warship commanders for acting in the best interest of protecting human life by aborting military missions when coronavirus infects the crew.

The Pentagon has been hiding the effect of coronavirus on the military and it is likely that infections are accelerating because of Pentagon's inaction and valuing military missions ahead of the lives of their crews.

There’s no social distancing on an aircraft carrier, so an emergency stop was the right call.

By James Stavridis

I have been a ship captain, a commodore in charge of a group of destroyers, and an admiral in command of a carrier strike group with a nuclear aircraft carrier, the USS Enterprise. In the course of my career, I made many hard choices at sea in both peace and combat — but I never faced the kind of hard choice that the captain of the carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt, Brett Crozier, just had to make.

Faced with the coronavirus sweeping through his 5,000-sailor crew, he reached out to his chain of command and requested permission to abort his assigned mission patrolling the Pacific and South China Sea, and come to all stop at Guam to disinfect his ship and save his crew from unnecessary medical risks. How should we evaluate his actions in the face of an invisible but deadly foe?

Let’s start by understanding what life on a Navy warship is like. Think of the kitchen in a suburban home — a fairly nice sized one with an island and granite counters. That’s about the size of most Navy “berthing compartments,” the bunk room where the sailors sleep. In that space, a dozen sailors each have a tight single bunk bed and a small locker to store their clothes. They will share a shower, a couple of sinks and a commode or two.

When the sailors queue up for meals, it is a long human line, snaking down a tight corridor, with everyone packed together on one side to allow people to pass to and from their assigned stations. Even the watch stations on the bridge and in the combat information center have everyone seated shoulder to shoulder.

It is the exact opposite of the social distancing civilians have rightly been asked to practice. The 18th century wit Samuel Johnson said of Britain’s Royal Navy that serving in a warship is like “is being in jail, with the chance of being drowned.” Life on a Navy ship isn’t as bad as jail, of course, but you get the idea.

So those berthing compartments, unfortunately, have become “birthing compartments,” as in birthing the coronavirus. When Crozier first heard he had a few cases, he must have felt his heart skip a beat, as the odds were high that many, many more cases were already circulating through the crew. Very shortly, he had 20 cases, then 50, then 100. His physicians, consulting with the Navy medical establishment ashore, would no doubt have recommended doing all the things that were tried on cruise ships — isolating the sick, treating them as best they could (even a carrier has only a handful of medical personnel onboard), spreading out everyone else, and testing as many as possible.

The problem, of course, is that unlike a cruise liner — where passengers can hunker down in their own stateroom — those berthing compartments, chow lines and watch stations were designed for close-quarter contact. And to make it worse, everybody is sitting on a nuclear reactor that is loaded with jet fuel, high-grade explosives, bombs and missiles.

Crozier certainly knows that the mission comes first. And in his heartfelt letter, he acknowledged that if we were in a war, he would simply do the best he could, hope most of the infected had only mild symptoms, and go to the fight weakened but hopefully operational. But the USS Theodore Roosevelt was not headed to war, a circumstance in which the health of the force has to come first. In this case, the extraordinary choice was to evacuate the crew (all but the 10% needed to run the reactor and disinfect the ship) and keep the ship parked in Guam for at least two weeks. ...

Even Navy captains have to go through their chain of command. The Navy Secretary and the CNO had plans in the works to take care of the problem. Instead the captain jumped the gun ruined his career.

Sending letter on letterhead to SF chronicle is worst breach of OPSEC by commander of a strategic asset I have ever heard of.

..I was in the USMC for 8 years.....the military is a lot more disciplined than the civilians--and they are younger/in grhronicle eat shape/etc.....your article is bullshit---I've been on 4 ships.....the Navy/Marines can issue policies to curb chances of spreading the virus....yes, it's super close quarters/etc....but they can send squads/etc to chow at certain times to keep distance/etc....

Why is the Pentagon concealing Covid-19 cases? Is the problem out of control in the military?
Going to the Chronicle could give tactical information about the ship and it's where abouts
Our submarines go underwater for weeks without surfacing so russian vnr don't pick up there where abouts
You don't think there's russians and chinese at these docks telling their cronies when these ships leave and come back
I had to signed an agreement when I left the army that I wouldn't give out information about what i did
No wonder we call you duncizen.

By James Stavridis

Hopefully his career is over
it is.

By James Stavridis

You're an idiot

Thanks, but I have to decline. I would hate to see you lose that job and start weeping and blubbering.
You're an amazing idiot. It's amazing that you can function as a human being and be so fucking idiotic.

No.

By James Stavridis

Your personal comment was deceptive and in no way did the article substantiate your allegations. There was nothing in the article about the Pentagon punishing warship commanders, hiding the effect of coronavirus on the military, or being negligent in looking out for the lives of military crews.

Of course, the story you linked was from the Communist Chinese-sympathetic Bloomberg News, so I'm sure they'd like to thank you for spreading Chinese propaganda.
......Freakin YES!! now Denizen, all your posts will be seen as crap since you LIED and bullshitted....there's NOTHING about punishing in there....you are just as bad as the MSM

He was fired. You dolt. Get a child to explain the news to you.
No. Only removed from command of the carrier, pending review. He will in fact probably retire. Whatever the board decides, he will not be trusted in command position again.

By James Stavridis

..I was in the USMC for 8 years.....the military is a lot more disciplined than the civilians--and they are younger/in great shape/etc.....your article is bullshit---I've been on 4 ships.....the Navy/Marines can issue policies to curb chances of spreading the virus....yes, it's super close quarters/etc....but they can send squads/etc to chow at certain times to keep distance/etc....

the Pentagon ''conceals'' all kinds of stuff all the time!!! DUH

Truth is the first casualty of the military.
DUH---it's ''truth is the first casualty of WAR''--not military
hahahhahahahahahahha
''first casualty of the military'''????!!!! WTF is that?

Hundreds were pictured in the gathering in the ship’s hangar deck and many chanted Capt. Brett Crozier’s name in multiple videos posted to social media.

Trumpies are so conflicted. They cheer Trump for breaking the rules nd causing deaths but condemn Captain Crozier for saving lives by breaking the rules.

Trumpies are so conflicted. They cheer Trump for breaking the rules nd causing deaths but condemn Captain Crozier for saving lives by breaking the rules.

you sound more like jilian every day.

By James Stavridis

Large numbers of dead sailors?

not likely

the fatality rate for the china virus is less than 1%

and only then because it reaches old people and some with underlying health problems

which does not apply to Navy personnel on active duty

So I suspect the captain is overreacting

Unnecessary death does trigger people.
Do you think you can outlaw death?

If that ship is ordered into combat against communist china will the captain refuse to go because sailors might die?

They signed on to sacrifice their lives in war for the good of the country not to die needlessly from treatable disease.
how many died in the run on Normandy? you're mistaken friend. it truly is amazing your stupid.

a never ending story line.

By James Stavridis

OPSEC. Personnel informations classified FOUO or above.

By James Stavridis

..I was in the USMC for 8 years.....the military is a lot more disciplined than the civilians--and they are younger/in grhronicle eat shape/etc.....your article is bullshit---I've been on 4 ships.....the Navy/Marines can issue policies to curb chances of spreading the virus....yes, it's super close quarters/etc....but they can send squads/etc to chow at certain times to keep distance/etc....

Going to the Chronicle could give tactical information about the ship and it's where abouts
Our submarines go underwater for weeks without surfacing so russian vnr don't pick up there where abouts
You don't think there's russians and chinese at these docks telling their cronies when these ships leave and come back
I had to signed an agreement when I left the army that I wouldn't give out information about what i did

The military probably didn't want you to reveal the best hiding and sleeping places you used to prevent others following your behavior.

By James Stavridis

The military probably didn't want you to reveal the best hiding and sleeping places you used to prevent others following your behavior.
there it is, you are indeed irrelevant.

By James Stavridis

You're an idiot

Thanks, but I have to decline. I would hate to see you lose that job and start weeping and blubbering.
You're an amazing idiot. It's amazing that you can function as a human being and be so fucking idiotic.

You are evidently still aspiring to be an idiot.

By James Stavridis

You're an idiot

you beat him out, congrats.

By James Stavridis

You're an idiot

He doesn't vote Democrat.......so he's not aspiring ............

Forum List

Back