A mobile app for stock portfolio

Les

Rookie
Jan 15, 2014
Hello all,

I'm working on an app for IOS / Android that is used to track stocks. I've made it for my own purposes as I needed a easy way to see the development of my portfolios in a specified period as well as receive alerts when a stock falls a certain percent.

The app has become quite popular i Europe, and surely I would like american users as well :)

So my question is: I've added all stocks in S&P500, S&P100 and Nasdaq100 - and a handful more. Will that be enough for the average private US investor?

Please let me know your thoughts. I'm not allowed to link to my site with the entire list of stocks (according to the rules of USMessageboard) so I hope you can give me advice based only on the description above.

Best regards,
Les

Not really no, just thought I should point out that if you are promoting a service the mods get picky. So, report your post yourself to avoid the ban hammer.

Not really no, just thought I should point out that if you are promoting a service the mods get picky. So, report your post yourself to avoid the ban hammer.

Hi William,

Thanks - actually I got banned for my first posting that mentioned the name of the app. So won't make that mistake again. But I'm really curious to find out what would satisfy the general private investor, so if anyone else has input - please speak up!

I tried to put together an alpha/beta service based on multiple regression a few years back. Here's what I found out:

Assume 3-5 K for a rebuilt server with several eta hard drives.

EODDATA is where you go for or at least used to go for the data.

Marginal costs are relatively low but total costs per unit sold are relatively high either use Unix or two computers one to the data work ups and another to send the results out because security for 3k or more of hardware ain't cheap.

Establish a business plan and do some marketing research I would contact google ads and maybe Facebook or Twitter as well.

Move into a slot that is not crowded to the point where no one even has the prospect of turning a profit. That is why I thought an alpha/beta system would be good but I did not realize the need for separate computers or a security team on call.

Hope that helps.

Mobile devices increasingly become targets of cyber thieves...
:eek:
Cyber Thieves Increasingly Attack Mobile Devices
February 27, 2014 ~ The amount of malicious software targeting mobile devices is exploding, according to security firm Kaspersky Lab.
Kaspersky said that in 2013 “nearly 100,000 new malicious programs for mobile devices were detected.” That’s more than two times the number detected the previous year, the company said. As of January 1, 2014, Kaspersky Lab says it collected 143,211 mobile malware samples. Rolf von Roessing, the former international vice president of the Information Systems Audit and Control Association, ISACA, told information security professionals at the 2013 EuroCACS information security and risk management conference in London that a “tidal wave” of threats was emerging against mobile devices.

Android users are particularly vulnerable, with over 91 percent of the malware detected targeting the popular mobile operating system, according to Kaspersky. “Android is currently more of a target than iOS, but attacks are happening against Apple mobile devices and, when they are breached, it is usually fairly serious,” said von Roessing.

Russia leads the world, claiming 40 percent of attacks. India was second with eight percent of attacks, and Vietnam and Ukraine were tie for third with four percent of attacks. “Kaspersky's findings are consistent with the numbers being reported by other security vendors in their annual threat reports," said Christopher Burgess, CEO of Prevendra a Security, privacy and intelligence company. “The message? If you are using a mobile device, keep your operating system up to date, only download apps from trusted sources, and have in place security software to protect the content of your mobile device."

Kaspersky said the vast majority of mobile malware was made with the aim of stealing people’s money. This kind of malware increased by a factor of 20, they said. Most of the malware was designed to phish, steal bank card information or to take money from bank accounts. “Today, the majority of banking Trojan attacks target users in Russia and the CIS,” said Victor Chebyshev, a virus analyst at Kaspersky in a statement . “However, that is unlikely to last for long: given cybercriminals’ keen interest in consumer bank accounts, the activity of mobile banking Trojans is expected to grow in other countries in 2014.”

Cyber Thieves Increasingly Attack Mobile Devices

Hi William - and others that replied privately.

The app has now been running for some time, and the interest is much bigger than I anticipated :) I'm lagging behind with regards to american users, so maybe the selection of stocks is not wide enough - or maybe the app simply drowns among all the others.

The latest features that I've added is something I haven't seen in other apps.

- Compare the development in your portfolio with the development in global indexes such as Nasdaq, S&P500, Dax etc.
- Receive daily/weekly status rapports via push-notifications and mail

Best regards,
Les
Bastaware

I tried to put together an alpha/beta service based on multiple regression a few years back. Here's what I found out:

Assume 3-5 K for a rebuilt server with several eta hard drives.

EODDATA is where you go for or at least used to go for the data.

Marginal costs are relatively low but total costs per unit sold are relatively high either use Unix or two computers one to the data work ups and another to send the results out because security for 3k or more of hardware ain't cheap.

Establish a business plan and do some marketing research I would contact google ads and maybe Facebook or Twitter as well.

Move into a slot that is not crowded to the point where no one even has the prospect of turning a profit. That is why I thought an alpha/beta system would be good but I did not realize the need for separate computers or a security team on call.

Hope that helps.

What kind of retard would not use the App provided by their online broker?

What kind of retard would not use the App provided by their online broker?
Pretty much anyone who doesn't want the same old, same old kind of portfolio. Capital markets are efficient in the short-run but not the long run. Writing covered puts/calls three months out or more on issues with a Beta of one or less gives you a house pc of 85% or more and even the downside of having shares put to you has an up side that is pretty nice.

Forum List

Back