A Million Americans Are Living In Their RVs

People live in tents along the by ways, others in forgotten off the beaten path in tents. Others on side streets. I hate to rain on the happy parade, but we give sanctuary to illegal aliens, and we forget Americans living on the streets. We blame them or other wise demonize them. But as long as some of ya'al have a nice warm RV to live in, god is in his heaven.
While I feel sorry for those that are homeless I refuse to have it ruin my life. Some of them do make the choice to live on the street. Some do not.
I do not agree with allowing illegals in or allowing them to remain. I pay taxes, I help where I can.

But I refuse to allow someone like you to make me feel bad about my life and the way I live it.

Agree.

If you have a yatch...and a plane....and a big nice RVS.....you know what I'm saying.....

that's ok then.... you can switch......from one to the other............will be fine

but I sense....this is not what this thread is all about.

LOL too LOL

The American dream has always been to have freedom to live and go were you chose. Steppenwolf born to be wild, wind in your hair stuff. But for most of the rest of us, that isn't in the cards. We are stuck between nowhere and nothing, eking out our timid little living. And that is at best.

if

rvs

is nice

and huge and luxurious

well then ...may be yes...

you know what

I think I better say no more

if

rvs

is nice

and huge and luxurious

you know what

I think the mindset is what separates most full timers. It is not even the size of the RV. I know people who have sold large, luxurious homes to hit the road in 35' campers.

I doubt my Sweetie and I will ever only live in an RV. But I do love the time we spend in it.

if

rvs

is nice

and huge and luxurious

you know what

I think the mindset is what separates most full timers. It is not even the size of the RV. I know people who have sold large, luxurious homes to hit the road in 35' campers.

I doubt my Sweetie and I will ever only live in an RV. But I do love the time we spend in it.

good for you....wishing you the best.

we are all different of course LOL

if

rvs

is nice

and huge and luxurious

you know what

Living in an RV for those with little income, can be very rewarding. There are many places particularly in the southwest where you can stay in beautiful locations, for free or minimal cost. The many advantages include being outdoors, getting plenty of exercise, and eating a healthy diet of quality fresh food. It can be a very stress free life style.

I know a young lady (35 or so) lives in a very small rv, works odd jobs.
Know a number of retired that have done the same as we do.
Know others that live in a house in summer then use one to move south.
Know a family of seven lived and traveled for three years just so the children could see the country.
There are those that have traveled for many years then just found an RV park that they liked and are now stationary until they die.

There are RV parks that have pools, exercise equipment, tennis courts.
There is one that has an eight hole golf course, woodworking shop, lapidary shop, stained glass shop and others. All for the use of those that stay there.
Some places have bingo nights, horse shoe competitions, pot lucks, banquets on holidays, live entertainment.

You might be parked next to a mechanic or a mechanical engineer. You meet people from all walks of life.

The article does not take into account those that vacation in the RV. The whole point is that there may be those that are on hard times in an RV. But there are those that chose it for a reason.

It's sounds like they are always running from the cops..

if

rvs

is nice

and huge and luxurious

you know what

Living in an RV for those with little income, can be very rewarding. There are many places particularly in the southwest where you can stay in beautiful locations, for free or minimal cost. The many advantages include being outdoors, getting plenty of exercise, and eating a healthy diet of quality fresh food. It can be a very stress free life style.

And many times you can work as a Camp Host to cover the cost of your stay.

if

rvs

is nice

and huge and luxurious

you know what

Glad to hear you are retiring soon. Hope it brings you health and happiness. Know about being away from family for work, though I spent mine in motel rooms. I wonder if being in an RV would have been a less lonely feeling.

Any way best of luck.

The American dream has always been to have freedom to live and go were you chose. Steppenwolf born to be wild, wind in your hair stuff. But for most of the rest of us, that isn't in the cards. We are stuck between nowhere and nothing, eking out our timid little living. And that is at best.
So what does that have to do with how people decide to house themselves? I sold my toy hauler a couple months ago after 4 years of ownership. We had it the last year I worked and first few years of retirement. We took it everywhere from San Diego, Sturgis, all over the AZ desert, Santa Rosa Beach and the Smokey Mountains. We spent 45 days in it last winter out West.

Things change

Dumped the RV because we have decided to start a mini-farm here in TN. So I have mouths to feed daily... chickens, goats etc.....

Bought me a plane instead lol

-Geaux

So what you are wanting me to support you? Are you wanting me to not enjoy my retirement because you did not make the same choices I did?

I spent most of my working life working 80-90 hours a week. I felt privileged when the last few years was only 60 hours. I will not apologize for catching a few hours of sleep in my vehicle in the parking lot then going back to work. I hated spending months away from home. Working on holidays. Being in another state during Christmas. But I did it so that I could do what I wanted when I retired.

If you expect others to somehow feel sorry or support you then I for one feel sorry for you that you think you need to play the poor me.

So what you are wanting me to support you? Are you wanting me to not enjoy my retirement because you did not make the same choices I did?

I spent most of my working life working 80-90 hours a week. I felt privileged when the last few years was only 60 hours. I will not apologize for catching a few hours of sleep in my vehicle in the parking lot then going back to work. I hated spending months away from home. Working on holidays. Being in another state during Christmas. But I did it so that I could do what I wanted when I retired.

If you expect others to somehow feel sorry or support you then I for one feel sorry for you that you think you need to play the poor me.
Makes me think about Obama's dream of a 'Universal 401K'. Like I should donate my 401k to Uncles Sam so he can slice it among those who don't have one.

No thanks

-Geaux

Know a family of seven lived and traveled for three years just so the children could see the country.
There are those that have traveled for many years then just found an RV park that they liked and are now stationary until they die.

There is one that has an eight hole golf course, woodworking shop, lapidary shop, stained glass shop and others. All for the use of those that stay there.
Some places have bingo nights, horse shoe competitions, pot lucks, banquets on holidays, live entertainment.

You might be parked next to a mechanic or a mechanical engineer. You meet people from all walks of life.

The article does not take into account those that vacation in the RV. The whole point is that there may be those that are on hard times in an RV. But there are those that chose it for a reason.

Doubt anyone would get very far running from the police with an RV. Not something that can do a get away.

Most people I see at parks are out talking and you have to register just like at a motel.

Doubt anyone would get very far running from the police with an RV. Not something that can do a get away.

Most people I see at parks are out talking and you have to register just like at a motel.

Walmart..

You see them a bunch, I know the cops look the other way

RV-Lifestyle-Public-Domain-768x512.jpg

Is it because they want to, they lost their other home to repo, or they can’t afford anything else?

A million Americans live full-time in RVs, according to the RV Industry Association. Some have to do it because they can’t afford other options, but many do it by choice. Last year was a record for RV sales, according to the data firm Statistical Surveys. More than 10.5 million households own at least one RV, a jump from 2005 when 7.5 million households had RVs, according to RVIA.

And there’s this:

A 30 year mortgage is essentially a suffocating lifetime financial commitment for many people, and so a lot of Americans are choosing to embrace the RV lifestyle in order to escape those financial chains. One family that the Washington Post recently interviewed says that they are “redefining what the American Dream means”…

We’re a family of four redefining what the American Dream means. It’s happiness, not a four-bedroom house with a two-car garage,” said Robert Meinhofer, who is 45.

The Meinhofers and a dozen others who spoke with The Washington Post about this modern nomadic lifestyle said living in 200 to 400 square feet has improved their marriages and made them happier, even if they’re earning less. There’s no official term for this lifestyle, but most refer to themselves as “full-time RVers,” “digital nomads” or “workampers.”

I don’t see how a family of four could possibly live in an RV, no matter how big it is.

More of this @ A Million Americans Are Living In Their RVs As The American Dream Continues To Be "Redefined"
Some people like to be able to "get up and go". Sort of like a ship, but without the higher maintenance costs.

I keep looking into modern insulation technologies.

Walmart..

Walmart allows RVs to camp overnight. They believe that it helps their business since most that stop also buy. Cracker Barrel, Basspro and others do the same. Some cities do not allow overnights in any parking lots.

No matter how you try to make it last, at some point, usually every few days, you have to plug in to power and dump your holding tanks, plus take on water.

You would do better To try and evade the police in a car or truck.
Sorry that this does not fit your narrative.

Walmart..

Walmart allows RVs to camp overnight. They believe that it helps their business since most that stop also buy. Cracker Barrel, Basspro and others do the same. Some cities do not allow overnights in any parking lots.

No matter how you try to make it last, at some point, usually every few days, you have to plug in to power and dump your holding tanks, plus take on water.

What do you think of a return to outdoor movie theaters, with electrical hookups for RVs?

Another place to hangout.

A diner, RV wash, car wash, and restrooms and showers and even tank flushing;

could be convenient and easy. there is usually money to be made with that, under Capitalism.

Walmart..

What do you think of a return to outdoor movie theaters, with electrical hookups for RVs?

Another place to hangout.

A diner, RV wash, car wash, and restrooms and showers and even tank flushing;

could be convenient and easy. there is usually money to be made with that, under Capitalism.

at the very least-----at the "refreshment stand" where on can buy dancing hot dogs and boxes of popcorn

Forum List

Back