A lot of Americans do not appreciate the importance of states' rights... they SHOULD

rightnow909

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2021
On page 264 of the book The Real Lincoln, the author DiLorenzo

says this, which I 1000% agree with (I have NO idea why there is strike-through.. I didn't put it there and don't know how to remove):

Perhaps the biggest cost of Lincoln's war [I would add "after all those deaths"] was the virtual destruction of states' rights, but the significance of this seems lost on most Americans. The loss of state's rights is important because it means that the people... of their respective states [are] no longer... sovereign; the federal governemnt [is]. The federal governemnt became the master, rather than the servant, of the people--especially once it imposed military conscription and income taxation on the population.

My thoughts:

Imagine that... the federal govt took away most of our rights and now taxes us...

Isn't that a prime example of "taxation without representation"?

But hey... throw some sports at us... get us to over-eat... get us to watch Follywood BS movies all the time... and voila'

maybe we won't care...

1865 the year that Staes rights died, why, abuse of the privilege.

It didn't die in the northern or western states. It did die in the south where it was just thrown away by each and every state. The South should have had to earn those rights back but never really did.

“States’ rights,” as a concept, got a black eye when used to justify official governmental racism by several of the states. But the actual meaning is different. Properly understood, it is a constitutional concept. It is part of the checks and balances intentionally and very carefully incorporated into the federal Constitution. It is part of FEDERALISM.

I remember when Virginia took very little money in the way of grants from the feds due to the strings attached. That changed with a string of dem governors starting around 2002.

Do you mean that Alexandria and others didn't regularly stick out their hands for handouts? And Federal Grants have zero to do with whatever party the Governor is in. Grants are not given to the State. It's given to corporations and individuals who meet the qualifications to receive it.

Make up another one, why don't you. I hear it's Bidens fault that it gets dark late in the day because he didn't pay the electricity bill of the Sun.

On page 264 of the book The Real Lincoln, the author DiLorenzo

says this, which I 1000% agree with (I have NO idea why there is strike-through.. I didn't put it there and don't know how to remove):

Perhaps the biggest cost of Lincoln's war [I would add "after all those deaths"] was the virtual destruction of states' rights, but the significance of this seems lost on most Americans. The loss of state's rights is important because it means that the people... of their respective states [are] no longer... sovereign; the federal governemnt [is]. The federal governemnt became the master, rather than the servant, of the people--especially once it imposed military conscription and income taxation on the population.

My thoughts:

Imagine that... the federal govt took away most of our rights and now taxes us...

Isn't that a prime example of "taxation without representation"?

But hey... throw some sports at us... get us to over-eat... get us to watch Follywood BS movies all the time... and voila'

maybe we won't care...
I don't understand, you think the Federal Govt didn't have a right to tax you before the Civil War?

Do you mean that Alexandria and others didn't regularly stick out their hands for handouts? And Federal Grants have zero to do with whatever party the Governor is in. Grants are not given to the State. It's given to corporations and individuals who meet the qualifications to receive it.

Make up another one, why don't you. I hear it's Bidens fault that it gets dark late in the day because he didn't pay the electricity bill of the Sun.
Negative.....There were federal grants offered to VDOC all the time but most were turned down due to the strings attached.

As a example:

Back in the late 70s they gave us the money to purchase brand new Ford vans to transport convicts.....The hitch was for two years from purchase they could only be used to transport the convicts for recreation, like inter-camp ballgames and such.

The state took the money, bought the vans, and parked them at regional VDOT sites across the state for those two years then put them in service. My camp got two of them. ;)

Negative.....There were federal grants offered to VDOC all the time but most were turned down due to the strings attached.

As a example:

Back in the late 70s they gave us the money to purchase brand new Ford vans to transport convicts.....The hitch was for two years from purchase they could only be used to transport the convicts for recreation, like inter-camp ballgames and such.

The state took the money, bought the vans, and parked them at regional VDOT sites across the state for those two years then put them in service. My camp got two of them. ;)

So far, it's because you say so. Now, since you refuse to give a cite, I need some into to check it out myself. Mainly, the year and the state.

Well there was some discussion over that

The estate tax started in 1790 or thereabouts. My memory gets foggy going back that far.
Not sure who got that idea, the Federal Govt has always taxed and been able to tax

Prior to the civil war, most federal taxes were excise taxes. The US used an income tax during the civil war, but it was found unconst.

A small federal govt was part of federalism, as originally thought of by the framers. The whiskey rebellion was one "revolt."

Direct taxes on property were levied for awhile, but abandoned.

Aside from tariffs, which punished the southern and emerging western agrarian states (which became democrat) most federal taxation was repealed or found unconstitutional until the 16th amend.

My post was sort of a joke about what we used to call "federalism." The only thing left of that may be anacronism called the Electoral Vote

Forum List

Back