A look at American gun culture...keeping us safe and free....

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
This article looks at Americans and guns....

A Revealing Glimpse Into The American Commerce Of Guns - Forbes

An elevator door opens on the 20th floor of a Las Vegas hotel and, for a few breaths of fresh air, the barrier between those who own guns and those who don’t slides away.

A middle-aged woman is saying to a man of about the same age: “I love my Glock 42. I carry it—” She pauses and looks at me and three others standing quietly on the elevator. The man and woman step on and turn robotically toward the front. They seem ready to remain politely silent with strangers on a moving elevator, but just after the door closes a twenty-something woman to my left says, “I like Glocks too, but the 42 is a .380 and I think 9mm is light. So I’m excited about the Gen4 in 10mm.”

The woman who’d just stepped on turns around smiling and nodding. She says she sometimes carries a Smith & Wesson revolver chambered in .357 Magnum, but that it all depends on what she’s wearing. She says she just can’t hide the .357 in a dress.

Everyone is laughing then and speaking at once about the guns they carry. A man in a gray suit says he carries a Sig and that he likes the new modular P320 MHS and hopes it’ll be sold commercially. Another man, this one a gray-haired man in a flannel shirt, comments that the Kimber 1911 Ultra Carry II in .45 ACP is his style.

Everyone is clearly in Vegas for the SHOT Show (The Shooting, Hunting, Outdoor Trade show). We are all wearing these placards provided by the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF), the trade association for firearms manufacturers, around our necks like exclusive passes into the gun community. So we feel comfortable speaking openly with strangers about the personal choice of what guns we carry. Why not? Just then there were a lot of gun people in Vegas. The NSSF says 64,000 attendees came from over 100 countries to buy and sell guns, ammo and related items last week.

Even though there are over 100 million gun owners in America most still see gun ownership as a very private decision.

But the conversation was too rich to halt. The lady with the Glock 42 says she uses a Crimson Trace laser sight and the conversation turns to sights. I’m not surprised by these two women knowledgeably talking guns. New research from the NSSF found that “new target shooters—those who have taken up the sport in the last five years—are younger, female and urban when compared to established target shooters, or those participating for more than five years.A survey commissioned by the NSSF also determined that 66 percent of new gun owners are in the 18-to-34-year-old category and 37 percent of them are female. Also, nearly half (47 percent) of new target shooters live in urban/suburban areas—so much for the assumption gun ownership is a rural thing. Of the women gun owners polled by the NSSF, those who bought a gun in the last year spent on average $870 on firearms and more than $400 on accessories.

Last edited:
I am going to purchase a gun and take a class so I am comfortable with using it. I am getting a permit to carry concealed as well. It is purely for self defense. I live alone, and I am old and frail. It has been suggested that I get a revolver made from an alloy since it will be lighter.
I wonder if I am tempting fate by owning a gun. Then I remember that I am too frail to run away.

I am going to purchase a gun and take a class so I am comfortable with using it. I am getting a permit to carry concealed as well. It is purely for self defense. I live alone, and I am old and frail. It has been suggested that I get a revolver made from an alloy since it will be lighter.
I wonder if I am tempting fate by owning a gun. Then I remember that I am too frail to run away.

Always...always...get proper training from a certified instructor.....start with a basic safety class, the NRA has a lot of those....then try different guns out to see how they work....do this before you buy anything.....again...training in safety, and in self defense......there are also groups that provide insurance for carrying a concealed weapon...look into those...one in particular has Masaad ayoob on it's board of directors and provides videos on gun and concealed carry law to it's members....

As to the alloy revolvers....they can be harder to shoot because they are light weight....ask your instructors about this when you get your training....

Good luck Lindavance826....stay safe.....be a good example.....

While a revolver is slightly more reliable and more accurate,it is a little harder to shoot because you have to pull the trigger through the cocking process pulling the gun off line.
A semi auto would be a much better choice because off the softer trigger pull and they are easier to conceal.
And definitely get some training.

I can't emphasize enough how important gun safety training is. I know few people who haven't assumed a chamber is empty when clearing a firearm, only to pull the trigger and BAM! It happened frequently in Vietnam. It happens way too often here at home. It's the reason most people die in firearms accidents. Keep the chamber clear at all times unless ready to use the firearm. Pay attention like you never have in classes previous. Your life and that of loved ones can hang in the balance.

Forum List

Back