A little wisdom from Uncle Dave

daveman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2010
On the way to the Dark Tower.
No one can hurt your feelings without your permission. That permission is intrinsically part of the relationship we have with some people...family, lovers, friends....and that's okay; we can't love and be loved without letting people in where they can do some damage. That's part of the deal: We love and are loved, and take the chance of those people hurting us. Because the rewards vastly outweigh the risks.

But there's one group of people to whom you have to consciously grant the permission to hurt you: Anonymous internet strangers on a message board.

Why in heaven's name would you grant them that permission? Why give strangers that power over you? That's just asking for pain.

No one can hurt your feelings without your permission. That permission is intrinsically part of the relationship we have with some people...family, lovers, friends....and that's okay; we can't love and be loved without letting people in where they can do some damage. That's part of the deal: We love and are loved, and take the chance of those people hurting us. Because the rewards vastly outweigh the risks.

But there's one group of people to whom you have to consciously grant the permission to hurt you: Anonymous internet strangers on a message board.

Why in heaven's name would you grant them that permission? Why give strangers that power over you? That's just asking for pain.

It is only power if you let it be, Dave. Have a happy holiday.

Why would anyone take them seriously?

In the end, it is just a message board. Most of the posters here are basically good people. We post here because we like politics. What we have in common is that we all want what is best for the country. We disagree on how to get there

Just because we differ on what is best for the country does not make one side good and the other side evil. People present a side here that is not necessarily who they are. Best to just read the posts, ignore the ones you don't like and move on

Normal people want to be liked.

That desire is perfectly normal and it doesn't go away just because your communication with the other is text.

That's why people's feeling are hurt.

You know what I don't get?

Why people think that what they believe is WHO THEY ARE?!

So if you disagree with their beliefs?

They feel like they have personally been attacked.

That I do not get at all.

Have NONE of these people ever changed their beliefs when they discovered a new truth??

And if they did, did they beat themselves up for having been wrong?

Why?

Being wrong about something in the world is no sin, its no reflection on you as person.

Ignorant is the human condition we all start out in...

Discovering that you were wrong is the path to becoming educated.

Grant yourselves the RIGHT to have been wrong and you also allow yourself to GET IT RIGHT (er)

Last edited:

It is only power if you let it be, Dave. Have a happy holiday.
Obviously, since I'm advising against it, I don't let it be, do I?

Thanks. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Why would anyone take them seriously?

In the end, it is just a message board. Most of the posters here are basically good people. We post here because we like politics. What we have in common is that we all want what is best for the country. We disagree on how to get there

Just because we differ on what is best for the country does not make one side good and the other side evil. People present a side here that is not necessarily who they are. Best to just read the posts, ignore the ones you don't like and move on
Good advice. Sadly, some people will take neither yours nor mine, and will instead continue to get offended.

I think some people just get off on being offended. Makes 'em feel all righteous or something.

Normal people want to be liked.

That desire is perfectly normal and it doesn't go away just because your communication with the other is text.

That's why people's feeling are hurt.

You know what I don't get?

Why people think that what they believe is WHO THEY ARE?!

So if you disagree with their beliefs?

They feel like they have personally been attacked.

That I do not get at all.

Have NONE of these people ever changed their beliefs when they discovered a new truth??

And if they did, did they beat themselves up for having been wrong?

Why?

Being wrong about something in the world is no sin, its no reflection on you as person.

Ignorant is the human condition we all start out in...

Discovering that you were wrong is the path to becoming educated.

Grant yourselves the RIGHT to have been wrong and you also allow yourself to GET IT RIGHT (er)

:thup:

Forum List

Back