A little school nostalgia for you..........

Baron Von Murderpaws

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2021
In the recesses of your mind
Some things we don't have in schools anymore.........or that have changed since our days.

The only things I can think of that the video didn't have included were learning to tell time on a clock with hands (if it isn't digital, they can't tell time nowadays), having to write reports by hand (not typing on a pc), and teachers not only teaching subject matter, but also teaching lifeskills in the process (manners, etiquette, social skills, how to speak correctly, etc.....), which was stopped back in the 80's.

i think parents should be doing most of the child rearing....school should have programs but they do not replace parents

our local elementary starts sir and maam at 2nd grade.....kinder rules apply

Some things we don't have in schools anymore.........or that have changed since our days.

The only things I can think of that the video didn't have included were learning to tell time on a clock with hands (if it isn't digital, they can't tell time nowadays), having to write reports by hand (not typing on a pc), and teachers not only teaching subject matter, but also teaching lifeskills in the process (manners, etiquette, social skills, how to speak correctly, etc.....), which was stopped back in the 80's.

I loved everything about the school library. I worked in the library from 4th grade through junior high, and books and rubber date stamps and the card catalogue, as well as shelving all the books as they were turned in, was one of the most satisfying parts of school for me.

I now own an antique card catalogue, although the rods that held the cards in place are gone and I just use it for storing small tools and crafting supplies.

Learning to write a fine cursive hand was a glorious experience for me and writing by hand has always been an almost meditative exercise. The discipline that it took children to learn to write artistically is so sadly missing from this country. I think that kind of discipline, if it were still part of school curriculum, could have kept personalities like this from forming.

I loved everything about the school library. I worked in the library from 4th grade through junior high, and books and rubber date stamps and the card catalogue, as well as shelving all the books as they were turned in, was one of the most satisfying parts of school for me.

I now own an antique card catalogue, although the rods that held the cards in place are gone and I just use it for storing small tools and crafting supplies.

Learning to write a fine cursive hand was a glorious experience for me and writing by hand has always been an almost meditative exercise. The discipline that it took children to learn to write artistically is so sadly missing from this country. I think that kind of discipline, if it were still part of school curriculum, could have kept personalities like this from forming.

I worked in the school library in high school It was fun. We were a bit more automated, because it was "the most technologically advanced" school in Texas at the time.
LOL

We did have a card catalog, but it was for old reference materials.....we had microfisch machines for everything else. Yeah, microfisch........current tech at the time. LOL

My late husband taught sixth grade back in the 70's and he was a lot like me, finding meaning in doing a lot of things in a precise and artful way. After he passed, I found a couple of his grade books and shared them with some of his students who had grown up and become parents and grandparents, and it was a profoundly memorable experience for them, as well as for me.

I worked in the school library in high school It was fun. We were a bit more automated, because it was "the most technologically advanced" school in Texas at the time.
LOL

We did have a card catalog, but it was for old reference materials.....we had microfisch machines for everything else. Yeah, microfisch........current tech at the time. LOL

And on the days when you worked in the library, you got out of what was often a much less interesting class. :)

And on the days when you worked in the library, you got out of what was often a much less interesting class. :)

Actually Library Sciences WAS a class at that time. Not only were we the most "technologically advanced" school at the time, we also were a testing school for new programs and new types of classes.........such as Auto Mechanic class, Library Sciences, Classical Music, Architecture, Russian History, and Planetarium Sciences.

You'd have thought a school like this would be something to see in itself, visually..............but no..............it looked like a prison from the outside.

20181010222111_59_backgroundOrig.jpg

Actually Library Sciences WAS a class at that time. Not only were we the most "technologically advanced" school at the time, we also were a testing school for new programs and new types of classes.........such as Auto Mechanic class, Library Sciences, Classical Music, Architecture, Russian History, and Planetarium Sciences.

Yep. My mom went back to school and at the age of 60 got her degree in Library Sciences. She loved it too!

I used to check out 10 to 20 nooks at a time, mine or one hubby or the kid's cards.
Now it's all online of course, but also lots of it has been changed.

Last edited:
I used to check out 10 to 20 nooks at a time [ used and mine or one hubby or the kid's cards.
Now it's all online of course, but also lots of it has been changed.

Yeah, when I was checking out physical books, I'd have 10 or 20 books out at a time.

I need to check out the library in my new home, a small farming town. I hope they have reciprocal lending agreements with other libraries in the county.

Yeah, when I was checking out physical books, I'd have 10 or 20 books out at a time.

I need to check out the library in my new home, a small farming town. I hope they have reciprocal lending agreements with other libraries in the county.

I had an inquiring mind and always loved studying history, from ancient thru more recent.

Is this ^^^^ your attempt at a putdown.
You need to improve your game.

Insulting you is not even a challenge any more.

I think I'll it make my New Year's Resolution to stop wasting my time, which is far better spent on other things.

I'll never forget the smell of the chalkboard cleaner.
It smelled exactly like bananas.

The one job I never got to do!

Beyond working in the library, the other job I got the most was cleaning erasers and raising/lowering the flag. Crossing monitor a few times. Remember that sash you got to wear as crossing monitor?

iu

Forum List

Back