A little post mortem

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
I've been seeing some pretty interesting analysis on this (of course, the analysis is always easier AFTER the fact).

1. If you had asked the average person, say, 5 or 10 years ago, which party would be closer to being populist and which was closer to being for The Big Guy, I think it's pretty clear that most would have said the Dems were closer to being populist. But somehow the GOP beat the Dems to the punch, and the Dems made it easier by running Hillary. Stunning. And reading Dems sites, they're sure as hell stunned, too.

2. And here's another thing: Chris Matthews (yes, I know) made an interesting point yesterday: You know those concerts with the music superstars for Hillary, like Beyonce and the rest? He wondered if those things drove home the point above, by having them all onstage together in "The Winner's Club" -- all these rich, successful people hugging each other. Maybe stuff like that was a net negative.

3. Finally, now that the dust has settled a bit, I think overall half of us just didn't understand the rage that it took to vote for Trump. Enough rage to ignore his myriad faults and weaknesses and behaviors and words and everything else. THAT is a LOT of rage right there. Obama was not able to deliver on the promises he made overall, and a lot of faith was placed in him. Let's see how Trump responds.

My two cents, worth every penny.

1) the dems haven't been for the little guy since Grover Cleveland. The progressivism ushered in by Woodrow WIlson has always been about consolidation and central control over a corporate oligarchy. The "for the little guy" thing has always since then been a big phony front.

2) Matthews might be onto something. Even a blind squirrel.

3) Well, people in flyover country tend to get a little teed off when you tell them that you're going to put them out of business and throw them out of work. And maybe, just maybe, Murica is sick to death of the open criminality of the Clintons, rather than being all enraged.

2. And here's another thing: Chris Matthews (yes, I know) made an interesting point yesterday: You know those concerts with the music superstars for Hillary, like Beyonce and the rest? He wondered if those things drove home the point above, by having them all onstage together in "The Winner's Club" -- all these rich, successful people hugging each other. Maybe stuff like that was a net negative.

i hear the biggest change was from northern rust belt states, labor unions voted against clinton in droves

i hear the biggest change was from northern rust belt states, labor unions voted against clinton in droves
Yeah, that's where it really hit the fan.

I think overall half of us just didn't understand the rage that it took to vote for Trump. Enough rage to ignore his myriad faults and weaknesses and behaviors and words and everything else. THAT is a LOT of rage right there.
Says a Hillary supporter..

Ohio and Pennsylvania right?

I think overall half of us just didn't understand the rage that it took to vote for Trump. Enough rage to ignore his myriad faults and weaknesses and behaviors and words and everything else. THAT is a LOT of rage right there..
I voted for her because I found Trump even more repulsive than her.

Maybe you could just comment on the point made.

Ohio and Pennsylvania right?
From what I've seen, it was Wisconsin and Penn that took it off the rails. But I'm not good at this stuff, that's just a guess.

I was saying since early summer, that this election would be won by Trump if two things happened.

If he won Florida, and second, if you could take either PA or MI.

If those things went his way, the rest would fall like dominoes.

I've been seeing some pretty interesting analysis on this (of course, the analysis is always easier AFTER the fact).

1. If you had asked the average person, say, 5 or 10 years ago, which party would be closer to being populist and which was closer to being for The Big Guy, I think it's pretty clear that most would have said the Dems were closer to being populist. But somehow the GOP beat the Dems to the punch, and the Dems made it easier by running Hillary. Stunning. And reading Dems sites, they're sure as hell stunned, too.

3. Finally, now that the dust has settled a bit, I think overall half of us just didn't understand the rage that it took to vote for Trump. Enough rage to ignore his myriad faults and weaknesses and behaviors and words and everything else. THAT is a LOT of rage right there. Obama was not able to deliver on the promises he made overall, and a lot of faith was placed in him. Let's see how Trump responds.

Maybe one day you will be able to reject the propaganda....

Just as I don't know or understand you, you don't know or understand me.

The constant insults aren't necessary.

I think overall half of us just didn't understand the rage that it took to vote for Trump. Enough rage to ignore his myriad faults and weaknesses and behaviors and words and everything else. THAT is a LOT of rage right there..

Dear Democrats, Read This If You Do Not Understand Why Trump Won
Trump Is What Happens When You Nominate A Cheater and Live In An Echo Chamber—Please Learn From This

Dear Democrats, Read This If You Do Not Understand Why Trump Won

Self awareness, mac...
You cant understand, yet, you voted for govt mandated corruption, 1% support and fascist war mongering. GIVE ME A BREAK.
You have written a thread on this very subject yet YOU cant understand from the other side? You are a goddamn joke.

1. It's difficult to say that this election "proves" anything. The country is divided, about 50/50. Nothing has really changed, except that enough people are pissed about Democrat/Progessive lawlessness that is tilted the scales just a smidgen to the Right.

2. But the significance of this result is that Trump, with ALL his faults, overcame an avalanche of free, irrational support from the MSM, Academe, organized labor, various minority groups, the LGBTQ community, and all of the entertainment industry. With ALL OF THAT FREE SUPPORT, it was not enough to get HRC to the promised land. It's like being born rich and ending up on welfare. Incredible. And statistically speaking, all those millions and millions of dollars that were spent on her campaign didn't get her one additional vote. Her support was the same on Tuesday as it was a year ago, before the first primary.

3. Trump can just coast for the next four years. There is really no conflict between his agenda and that of the Congress. The real standard of comparison will be between him and Bush43. How much of this large agenda can they get done in four years?

4. I look for Trump to be a one-term president. Too old to continue beyond that.

5. Michele Obama in '20? Don't discount the possibility. Who else do the Dems have?

After 8 years of hollow promises the blue collar non college guys finally got smart and realized Hillary was not going to give them anything.

Now that we know the GOP still owns the Senate and House Of Reps, it is clear Hillary could not give them anything.

However Pres-Elect Trump will be lucky to get anything out of McConnell and Ryan to feed the poor blue collar guys and their wives who put him into The White House.

I think there will be chaos like there was when Jimmy Carter was POTUS and the Senate and House were both DEM. Pure chaos.

Just as I don't know or understand you, you don't know or understand me.

The constant insults aren't necessary.
It wasn't an insult....

1. It's difficult to say that this election "proves" anything. The country is divided, about 50/50. Nothing has really changed, except that enough people are pissed about Democrat/Progessive lawlessness that is tilted the scales just a smidgen to the Right.

2. But the significance of this result is that Trump, with ALL his faults, overcame an avalanche of free, irrational support from the MSM, Academe, organized labor, various minority groups, the LGBTQ community, and all of the entertainment industry. With ALL OF THAT FREE SUPPORT, it was not enough to get HRC to the promised land. It's like being born rich and ending up on welfare. Incredible. And statistically speaking, all those millions and millions of dollars that were spent on her campaign didn't get her one additional vote. Her support was the same on Tuesday as it was a year ago, before the first primary.

3. Trump can just coast for the next four years. There is really no conflict between his agenda and that of the Congress. The real standard of comparison will be between him and Bush43. How much of this large agenda can they get done in four years?

4. I look for Trump to be a one-term president. Too old to continue beyond that.

5. Michele Obama in '20? Don't discount the possibility. Who else do the Dems have?
This election "proves" (actually "demonstrates" is a better word because "proof" would be a function of formal logic) that half the country is Communist anti gun pussies and the other half is smoking dope and hoping Pres-Elect Trump can magically help them find jobs even though McConnell and Ryan could not give a ratz azz about any of them.

Everyone else voted 3rd party.

Self awareness, mac...
You cant understand, yet, you voted for govt mandated corruption, 1% support and fascist war mongering. GIVE ME A BREAK.
You have written a thread on this very subject yet YOU cant understand from the other side? You are a goddamn joke.
I voted for a candidate who was slightly less repulsive overall than the other. I can't make it clearer or simpler than that.

And I can see, understand, and appreciate both sides of pretty much any issue. I don't think you can.

If you think you're capable of a civil, mature, decent, intelligent, honest conversation, without attacks and insults, I'm right here.

Self awareness, mac...
I voted for a candidate who was slightly less repulsive overall than the other. I can't make it clearer or simpler than that.

And I can see, understand, and appreciate both sides of pretty much any issue. I don't think you can.

If you think you're capable of a civil, mature, decent, intelligent, honest conversation, without attacks and insults, I'm right here.
You should start....

Self awareness, mac...

Why do it? When it comes to these particular people, its like throwing a hotdog down a hallway. There is no point. You sound like a hack. A hack that doesn't know themselves from a hole in the ground. I type it out and you STILL don't get it.

Forum List

Back