A Letter to Phil Robertson

JoeB131

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2011
Chicago, Chicago, that Toddling Town
(Yes, I know it's not original, and it applied to someone else, but it fits here!)

Dear Mr. Robertson,

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God’s Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination … End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God’s Laws and how to follow them.

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can’t I own Canadians?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of Menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord -Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination, Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don’t agree. Can you settle this? Are there ‘degrees’ of abomination?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle-room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16.

Couldn’t we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I’m confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God’s word is eternal and unchanging.

Everything you mentioned seems to have come from the Old Testiment, which is not Christianity. It is the laws God handed down to the Hebrews so they could survive living in the Desert. Sacrifice of livestock ended in God's eyes when Jesus was nailed to the cross. From then on Jesus is our sacrificial lamb. This is why he has often been called "The Lamb Of God".

Last edited:
Everything you mentioned seems to have come from the Old Testiment, which is not Christianity. It is the laws God handed down to the Hebrews so they could survive living in the Desert. Sacrifice of livestock ended in God's eyes when Jesus was nailed to the cross. From then on Jesus is our sacrificial lamb. This is why he has often been called "The Lamb Of God".

Ah, yes, the "THat's the Old Testament" excuse.

While Jesus never really did revoke any of those laws. Never said anything bad about Slavery one way or the other.

And the revoking of Kosher rules really didn't happen until St. Paul and the other Apostles decided that guys didn't want to give up their ham and shrimp and have their weiners chopped. But that slavery stuff, that hung around until, oh, fairly recently.

So why can't I own Canadians. I mean, I own Toro every time he shows up, but that's not the same thing.

While Jesus never really did revoke any of those laws. Never said anything bad about Slavery one way or the other.

And the revoking of Kosher rules really didn't happen until St. Paul and the other Apostles decided that guys didn't want to give up their ham and shrimp and have their weiners chopped. But that slavery stuff, that hung around until, oh, fairly recently.

So why can't I own Canadians. I mean, I own Toro every time he shows up, but that's not the same thing.

Why did Jesus have to revoke all of those laws?

He was a sacrifice. He wasn't on the Earth to right all of the wrongs in existence.

Jesus mission was to bring non-Hebrews into God's house. The beginnings of the church was Hebrew but the teachings in the Old Testament had their purpose and the Gospel of Christ has it's purpose. As a matter of fact Jesus was critical of some of the repetitious ways described in Leviticus. They asked Jesus if there was a specific prayer he recommended and he didn't want to nail it down to one prayer, but just to make them happy he gave them the Lord's Prayer. "Our father who art in heaven, hallowed be they name........."

Why did Jesus have to revoke all of those laws?

He was a sacrifice. He wasn't on the Earth to right all of the wrongs in existence.

I think that if you are coming down to redeem the evils of mankind, Slavery would be pretty high on the list of things you ought to condemn.

And frankly, Sacrificing yourself because you laid down a curse because a rib woman listened to a talking snake and ate a fruit from a magic tree seems like he's being a bit of a drama queen.

Especially since there was no Garden of Eden or Adam and Eve. We evovled from Monkeys. Sorry. The Correct answer is "Evolution".

So Jesus sacrificed himself over something that didn't actually happen, but couldn't take the time to condemn an evil that was going on all around him. Got it.

The problem with the left is they see so much wrong and they feel that they as humans can solve it.....then they screw up and blame somebody else for their failures.

Jesus knew that what happens on Earth is going to happen whether you like it or not. The purpose on Earth is to build treasure in Heaven. It takes faith and trust in God to do that. Knowing that Jesus was a real man who sacrificed himself on purpose for a our sins is the beginning of our salvation. It's up to us to take it from there.

Jesus was given several opportunities to save himself, but he knew what he was here for. His lesson was not to go thru life pointing out the wrongs in the world or pointing out everyone else's flaws, but striving to be worthy of this gift. I think one of the reasons Jesus didn't bother with fixing everything is because he knew he wouldn't be on Earth for much longer. We don't have the knowledge of when we're going to die. If we did maybe we'd have a more purpose driven life.

This is such BS, the Old Testament is not Christianity. I grew up a Christian, went to Sunday school and church, had my own Bible, etc. How many Christians do not have the Old and New Testament Bible? How many only have the New Testament? Not any, I'll wager. It is interesting that in order to try to bolster narrow minded views, so called Christians are ready to deny the Old Testament completely, just like, in order to bolster your claims of dislike for the current administration, you are ready to take on a communist dictator as a better option for US President than the one we have. You'll say anything, deny anyone and anything, be a complete traitor to your religion and your country to support your biased and narrow minded view points. Your hypocrisy does not go unnoticed. But, really, it is one thing to be a traitor to your country; it's quite another to be one to your religion. Despicable.

Last edited:

This is such BS, the Old Testament is not Christianity. I grew up a Christian, went to Sunday school and church, had my own Bible, etc. How many Christians do not have the Old and New Testament Bible? How many only have the New Testament? Not any, I'll wager. It is interesting that in order to try to bolster narrow minded views, so called Christians are ready to deny the Old Testament completely, just like, in order to bolster your claims of dislike for the current administration, you are ready to take on a communist dictator as a better option for US President than the one we have. You'll say anything, deny anyone and anything, be a complete traitor to your religion and your country to support your biased and narrow minded view points. Your hypocrisy does not go unnoticed. But, really, it is one thing to be a traitor to your country; it's quite another to be one to your religion. Despicable.

Go back and re-read my post. I said that the Old Testament isn't Christianity.

And thank you for the kind words.

Stop denying that the Old Testament has anything to do with Christianity. It is God's word and Christ is God's son. They are one and the same. Do you have only a New Testament? Do you ignore and deny the Old Testament? Not likely. Only when it's convenient. Which is low and dispicable.

Stop denying that the Old Testament has anything to do with Christianity. It is God's word and Christ is God's son. They are one and the same. Do you have only a New Testament? Do you ignore and deny the Old Testament? Not likely. Only when it's convenient. Which is low and dispicable.

You seem to want to indict Christians because of the Old Testament (correct me if I'm wrong), but you forget the Gospel was full of new rules and new covenants. It's important to know what is in the Old Testament but the way you apply God's word to your life is thru Jesus and what he taught. That means the old ways are not written in stone anymore.

The problem with the left is they see so much wrong and they feel that they as humans can solve it.....then they screw up and blame somebody else for their failures.

Jesus knew that what happens on Earth is going to happen whether you like it or not. The purpose on Earth is to build treasure in Heaven. It takes faith and trust in God to do that. Knowing that Jesus was a real man who sacrificed himself on purpose for a our sins is the beginning of our salvation. It's up to us to take it from there.

Jesus was given several opportunities to save himself, but he knew what he was here for. His lesson was not to go thru life pointing out the wrongs in the world or pointing out everyone else's flaws, but striving to be worthy of this gift. I think one of the reasons Jesus didn't bother with fixing everything is because he knew he wouldn't be on Earth for much longer. We don't have the knowledge of when we're going to die. If we did maybe we'd have a more purpose driven life.

Guy, you skipped over my point.

The problem was that you all claim that Jesus came down to redeem orignial sin. Okay. But original sin was at best a metaphor and at worst a non-event. There was no Adam and Eve.

I also find the whole notion of "dying for my sins" to be rather offensive. I never agreed to tht and frankly would reject it to start with.

If Jesus was here to tell us right from wrong and purposely ignored the biggest wrong going on all around him, then shame on him, really.

Or he was just a first century crazy person who didn't speak out against slavery because, heck, Slavery has always been here and if you aren't a slave, it's not a problem.

The problem was that you all claim that Jesus came down to redeem orignial sin. Okay. But original sin was at best a metaphor and at worst a non-event. There was no Adam and Eve.

I also find the whole notion of "dying for my sins" to be rather offensive. I never agreed to tht and frankly would reject it to start with.

If Jesus was here to tell us right from wrong and purposely ignored the biggest wrong going on all around him, then shame on him, really.

Or he was just a first century crazy person who didn't speak out against slavery because, heck, Slavery has always been here and if you aren't a slave, it's not a problem.

Original sin has nothing to do with you and me. Because we're human we all have sinned. Babies, especially the unborn, cannot sin. According to Jesus they are blameless. That is why killing them in the womb is such a terrible sin.

Look, I'm no expert on the scriptures. I'm just relating this as I understand it.

Original sin has nothing to do with you and me. Because we're human we all have sinned. Babies, especially the unborn, cannot sin. According to Jesus they are blameless. That is why killing them in the womb is such a terrible sin.

Look, I'm no expert on the scriptures. I'm just relating this as I understand it.

If Abortion was such a terrible sin, why was it not ONCE condemned anywhere in the Bible?

Original sin is one of those sticking points... because of mysticism they tried to stick on old myths.

If Abortion was such a terrible sin, why was it not ONCE condemned anywhere in the Bible?

Original sin is one of those sticking points... because of mysticism they tried to stick on old myths.

It's in there many times:

"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves,
for the rights of all who are destitute."
Proverbs 31:8 (NIV)

"If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart from her and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished, according as the woman's husband will lay upon him;
and he shall pay as the judges determine.
And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life,
eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,
burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe."
Exodus 21:22-25 (KJV)

"Thou shalt not kill."
Exodus 20:13 (KJV)

"Can a woman forget her sucking child,
that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb?
yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee.
Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands;
thy walls are continually before me."
Isaiah 49:15-16 (KJV)

Forum List

Back