A High School Cheerleader’s F-Bombs on Snapchat Could Blow Up Free Speech for U.S. Students

Me? I had my 1st Amendment rights curtailed for over 20 years while serving in the Navy, but I understood that I was a military member 24/7.
Interestingly enough, I don't own any guns right now. Why? I don't really have a need for them. I live in a nice part of town, and am confident enough in my ability to defend myself if the need arises.
Careerism vs. Professionalism In the Military

Something else you pulled outta your ass? Sorry, but I was happy to serve a career in the Navy. Where else can a poor country boy from Montana get a chance to travel the world? And, the last 2 tours of my career, I was on independent duty, as well as replaced a Chief as a First Class for both of them.

Poor judgement on her part but it's still a First Amendment right

What I don't understand is that she got kicked off he Cheerleading squad, not kicked out of school. She had no "right" to be on the cheerleading squad.

What I don't understand is that she got kicked off he Cheerleading squad, not kicked out of school. She had no "right" to be on the cheerleading squad.
Not all girls who “turn out” are happy and cheerful and gay enough to be on the cheerleading squad.

Poor judgement on her part but it's still a First Amendment right
I usually agree with you but free speech is not necessarily obscene speech.
We all have a right to spew obscenities but not everywhere and whenever we please.

Evidently she wasn't on school property. She has the right granted to her by the US Constitution.

My guess is she caused extreme butt hurt to some asshole educator

"School property" is a tenuous standard anyway. Whether she was on or off school property when she hits "post", that post doesn't reside on school property, but in cyberspace. And it's the same post either way.

The post was a disgruntled cheerleader and was made off campus. It was also made almost 4 years ago. She has rights. The schools have learned this the hard way.
If what happened really did take place four years ago, I don't know why its still an issue when she may not even be at the school anymore. She may have already graduated.

God bless you and the girl always!!!

Holly

The post was a disgruntled cheerleader and was made off campus. It was also made almost 4 years ago. She has rights. The schools have learned this the hard way.
If what happened really did take place four years ago, I don't know why its still an issue when she may not even be at the school anymore. She may have already graduated.

God bless you and the girl always!!!

Holly

It's not an "if" thing. I don't make shit up. Here is a quote directly from the OP's article:

"The girl, known in pleadings as “B.L.,” was shopping with friends on a Saturday afternoon in 2017. She posted a selfie in her Snapchat story that included her best friend. The picture showed both girls extending the bird, with the caption “Fuck school fuck softball fuck cheer fuck everything.” "

There you go, this happened in 2017.

Back to basics: The First Amendment states, in pertinent part, "Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech..."

And there you have it. The Founders wanted to prohibit Congress from making laws that outlawed criticizing the government or public officials. That's it. Nothing more.

Thanks to the AC fucking LU, we have a local school district (not Congress) being told that it cannot discipline a student for public remarks that defamed not only the student herself with their vulgarity, but also the school, its cheerleading squad, the school administration, and apparently the girls' softball team.

Dennis Prager has often stated his belief that Leftism (in this case, its legal team, the ACLU, working in collaboration with the U.S. court system) destroys everything it touches. Here we have an example of how Leftism impairs the ability of a local school administration to impose rational, reasonable, and proper discipline on one of its offending students...IN THE NAME OF THE U.S. CONSTITUTION!

Never lose sight of the real issue here: Leftism is evil, and should be taken out, root and branch.

Forum List

Back