A GREAT Christmas Present

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
There's a very wide choice of items that people with money to spend, can choose for Christmas presents.

Probably most people will gravitate toward electronics. Computers, video games, cell phones, etc.

Here's another idea. Instead of that gadget that will be obsolete within a year, how about something really worthwhile, that will never be outdated, and will last a lifetime ?

I'm talking about musical instruments, plus lessons to learn to play them. One of the best things that ever happened to me many years ago, was getting a guitar and learning to play it.

Just learning each new song from a book with lyrics & chord charts, was a thrill. After mastering rythym and melody on my guitar, I branched out and bought a cousin of the guitar, a mandolin.

With my guitar experience, and just a few quick lessons, I got competent enough to play both instruments onstage for money. While this was rewarding, the really special reward was (and is) just being able to play these instruments, which only musicians really understand.

Within few years after learning the mandolin, I thought as long as I now know a dozen tunes on the mandolin, I ought to transfer them over to the mandolin's other cousin, the violin.

So from just a couple of lessons on the violin, together with my mandolin ability, I was soon fiddling and playing onstage for that too.

Few things in my life have been more special to me than this music, and it's something I've had now for decades. I continue to learn new songs & tunes and enjoy it immensly.

I also now teach these instruments privately, and in connection with 3 music schools, thereby supplementing my retirement income. Be wise in how you choose an instrument. If you have very fat fingers, you may not be well suited for a stringed instrument, and perhaps one of the wind instruments would be better.

Whatever you choose, start slow with at least about 5 lessons, and keep your instrument HANDY, where you can pick it up OFTEN, and play it. :biggrin:

A good additional gift is a stand for your musical instrument gift. By keeping the guitar, mandolin, etc on a stand, you play (practice) it more often, and get more accomplished faster.

Acoustic guitar, electric guitar (and amp), mandolin, banjo, bass guitar, fiddle, all good choices (+ some lessons)

Don't neglect to get a case. You may need go somewhere with your instrument, and it is very suseptible
to damage.

Just don't keep it in its case at home. It should always be handy, to be played repeatedly during the day.

Don't neglect to get a case. You may need go somewhere with your instrument, and it is very suseptible
to damage.

Just don't keep it in its case at home. It should always be handy, to be played repeatedly during the day.
Be advised > whether for a guitar, banjo, mandolin, violin, hard shell cases can be expensive, but they're a one-time cost.

Keep you instrument for your lifetime, play it constantly. Over the years, you will come to regard it as one of the best presents you ever got (or gave).

I have no family so I bought myself one of these.

78825291_839872729816074_7782405462460203008_o.jpg

View attachment 295439
Nice. Of course you need a bass amp to go with it. If it's just for yourself, to play at home, you don't need a big one. Don't let the stores trick you into thinking you do.

If you can find some people to jam with, you'll have something really nice going on in your life. :113:

View attachment 295439
Nice. Of course you need a bass amp to go with it. If it's just for yourself, to play at home, you don't need a big one. Don't let the stores trick you into thinking you do.

If you can find some people to jam with, you'll have something really nice going on in your life. :113:
Oh I got the amp and effects covered.

78435928_842747892861891_6934688302456897536_n.jpg

Examples of nice gifts >>

Low price 1- $103

Oscar Schmidt OG1-A-U 3/4-Size Acoustic Guitar
Very decent price on a good brand starter guitar, small size good for kids not fully grown, or small adults.

upload_2019-12-18_20-17-2.jpeg

Medium price - $300

Yamaha Fg830 Solid Top Folk Guitar

upload_2019-12-18_20-26-39.jpeg

Higher priced - $1200

Martin Custom D Classic - Martin has long been considered top of the line.

OIP.bSzT-0piZL42ZeN1oztPZgAAAA

Much Higher Priced - $2900

Martin D28 - the standard bluegrass guitar, used by pros for decades.

OIP.fI33HCFbbSHI5UvBpDWOmAHaR3

There's a very wide choice of items that people with money to spend, can choose for Christmas presents.

Probably most people will gravitate toward electronics. Computers, video games, cell phones, etc.

Here's another idea. Instead of that gadget that will be obsolete within a year, how about something really worthwhile, that will never be outdated, and will last a lifetime ?

I'm talking about musical instruments, plus lessons to learn to play them. One of the best things that ever happened to me many years ago, was getting a guitar and learning to play it.

Just learning each new song from a book with lyrics & chord charts, was a thrill. After mastering rythym and melody on my guitar, I branched out and bought a cousin of the guitar, a mandolin.

With my guitar experience, and just a few quick lessons, I got competent enough to play both instruments onstage for money. While this was rewarding, the really special reward was (and is) just being able to play these instruments, which only musicians really understand.

Within few years after learning the mandolin, I thought as long as I now know a dozen tunes on the mandolin, I ought to transfer them over to the mandolin's other cousin, the violin.

So from just a couple of lessons on the violin, together with my mandolin ability, I was soon fiddling and playing onstage for that too.

Few things in my life have been more special to me than this music, and it's something I've had now for decades. I continue to learn new songs & tunes and enjoy it immensly.

I also now teach these instruments privately, and in connection with 3 music schools, thereby supplementing my retirement income. Be wise in how you choose an instrument. If you have very fat fingers, you may not be well suited for a stringed instrument, and perhaps one of the wind instruments would be better.

Whatever you choose, start slow with at least about 5 lessons, and keep your instrument HANDY, where you can pick it up OFTEN, and play it. :biggrin:
How about they consider to “man up” and join the military other than what they do. There is zero basis for this...but Democrats open us up to attack while our guard down. Low fucking bastards.

Nice mandolins >>

1. Rogue Learn-the-Mandolin Package Sunburst - $120

61-wKBh30OL._AC_UL480_QL65_ML3_.jpg

2. Ibanez M510E Acoustic-Electric Mandolin - $200

OP.4RYpNkyMnHEV0Q474C474

3. Eastman MD304 all solid wood (early 20th century vintage style) Mandolin - $510

OIP.oqHrfY_OJhtyfqqEmz0MKQHaHa

4, Eastman MD305 all solid wood mandolin - $510

OIP.pczf467IsGOrhCjufWYX_wHaSQ

How about they consider to “man up” and join the military other than what they do. There is zero basis for this...but Democrats open us up to attack while our guard down. Low fucking bastards.
What does this have to do with Christmas presents ? Wrong thread ?

Playing music prevents dementia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum List

Back