A Governor's Approach to a Teacher Shortage

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Shouldn't our Governors be forming task forces to address the actual and projected teacher shortages?

Developing recommended teacher compensation guidelines for school districts?

Sending recruiters to colleges to address underclassmen who might have an interest, and tell them what courses they should get if they want to go into teaching?

Working to recruit mid-career professionals from other disciplines to teach?

Polling teachers to get their input on how to attract and retain good teachers?

Taking a fresh look at school calendars and schedules to ensure that they are optimizing the education effort?

I'm not seeing any serious efforts to address the issue. But maybe I'm just missing it.

I think that would really depend on the Constitution of the particular State. If there is no mandate for public education in the state constitution, I’d suggest that recruitment and training of teachers probably is as well.

Shouldn't our Governors be forming task forces to address the actual and projected teacher shortages?

Sending recruiters to colleges to address underclassmen who might have an interest, and tell them what courses they should get if they want to go into teaching?

Taking a fresh look at school calendars and schedules to ensure that they are optimizing the education effort?

I'm not seeing any serious efforts to address the issue. But maybe I'm just missing it.
They should be. But the reality is that for decades now teachers have had to jump through countless hoops in order to become and remain teachers, and are then paid very little until they're close to retirement, while being vilified for whatever the current outrages are. There are stories all over about people who try to change those things, but the efforts can never be sustained. If you want good teachers, make enough money to move to a wealthy zip code. What makes a good school is what the parents are willing to contribute with their money, time, and tutoring of their own kids. If society doesn't value teachers, then a Governor doesn't have to care.

How about recruiting correctional officers to become teachers?

The number of inmates doing time is decreasing as more bleeding heart DA's get in. Seems as if we can reduce the number of guards and get some of those guys into classrooms.

Teachers get paid more than CO's, so guys should be willing to do it.

Basically the jobs have a lot in common, keeping order and supervising people who really don't want to be there. Nothing that an average government school student could do would really faze a correctional officer at a Level 3 or 4 institution or above.

Maybe if we stop forcing teachers to pay union dues and start allowing Conservatives into government school classrooms?
A bum off the street could come in and read a prepared script every day in the kind of schools you seem to want. That seems to be the travesty of education DeSantis is trying put together down here.

A bum off the street could come in and read a prepared script every day in the kind of schools you seem to want. That seems to be the travesty of education DeSantis is trying put together down here.
His type of conservatism believes in the benevolence of robber barons. They think Amazon employees should consider it a privilege to piss in water bottles for Jeff Bezos' bank account.

WTF is DeSantis Doing?

Building a BASE, that's it.
This is nothing about the quality of education, it is about Politics.

You think a Private School Science/Math/ELA teacher is better than a Public School teacher.
Let me ask this, WHY would a Highly Qualified Superior teacher accept a Private School job paying way less?

His type of conservatism believes in the benevolence of robber barons. They think Amazon employees should consider it a privilege to piss in water bottles for Jeff Bezos' bank account.
They want to just make people who used to be soldiers or cops into teachers. It's a shameful commentary on how conservatives actually value education when they are trying to turn it into an unskilled job.

They want to just make people who used to be soldiers or cops into teachers. It's a shameful commentary on how conservatives actually value education when they are trying to turn it into an unskilled job.
I would argue that a majority of conservatives and liberals don't actually know or care whether it's a skilled job. They just need somebody to watch the kids so they can go to work. That's why teachers unions pop up.

A correctional officer isn't an unskilled job at all.

It takes a lot of skill to keep a yard peaceful and orderly, just like it does with a classroom.

Would that not be a function of state Education Superintendents?

How about recruiting correctional officers to become teachers?

The number of inmates doing time is decreasing as more bleeding heart DA's get in. Seems as if we can reduce the number of guards and get some of those guys into classrooms.

Teachers get paid more than CO's, so guys should be willing to do it.

Basically the jobs have a lot in common, keeping order and supervising people who really don't want to be there. Nothing that an average government school student could do would really faze a correctional officer at a Level 3 or 4 institution or above.
My God, you are an idiot! Most corrections officers MIGHT have a high school diploma at best!

A correctional officer isn't an unskilled job at all.

It takes a lot of skill to keep a yard peaceful and orderly, just like it does with a classroom.
I know a lot of correctional officers. They are idiots with a violent streak. Incidentally they seem to really enjoy adultery.

Maybe if we stop forcing teachers to pay union dues and start allowing Conservatives into government school classrooms?
Another idiotic post? Union membership cannot be required in any right to work state. In my 21 year teaching career, I was a union member less than half the time. Why don't you educate yourself about education, rather than spreading bullshit?

Another idiotic post? Union membership cannot be required in any right to work state. In my 21 year teaching career, I was a union member less than half the time. Why don't you educate yourself about education, rather than spreading bullshit?
Well here's your chance polish. You can go and teach and show us how it's done.

I know a lot of correctional officers. They are idiots with a violent streak. Incidentally they seem to really enjoy adultery.

A Public School teacher can't be afraid of violence, as he can expect to see it on a daily basis. Kids getting shived for their lunch money, rapes, assaults, shakedowns occurring constantly. And now the wave of school shootings.

Very similar to what guards in the pen face.

And now that boys can claim to be "transgender" and have to be admitted to the girls' locker room and bathrooms, the crime rate will undoubtably go up.

One of my contemporaries from back in the day went to government school. On his first day of 9th grade, his dad gave him a switchblade so he could defend himself in the riots. The fact that he's still around shows the effectiveness of it.

New Topics

Forum List

Back