A good summation…

Is moonshine a big business? Do criminal elements still control all booze sold in the US?

Yes it is a myth.

From your own link....you really should read things before posting them.

According to a 2020 report published by the National Institute on Drug Abuse, marijuana (as well as alcohol and nicotine) can have a gateway effect on some people, but does not act as a stepping stone to harder drug use for the vast majority of marijuana users—including regular users.
Perhaps you didn't read the whole article.

Cross Sensitization

"Multiple studies (in laboratory rats) have shown that exposure to cannabinoids, especially THC, at adolescence tends to decrease brain dopamine activity later on.

This suggests that early drug use could prime or program a brain to respond more strongly to drug use (which involves pleasurable dopamine highs) in the future, potentially increasing the severity and rate at which substance use disorders develop.

This effect is called cross-sensitization, and is known to occur due to alcohol, nicotine, and marijuana use—supporting the gateway hypothesis."

Also, the article nowhere suggests that everyone goes on to harder drugs, only that some do. That can be a significant number of people.

This effect is called cross-sensitization, and is known to occur due to alcohol, nicotine, and marijuana use—supporting the gateway hypothesis."

So, your argument is that alcohol, nicotine, and marijuana are gateway drugs?

Is that correct?

Also, the article nowhere suggests that everyone goes on to harder drugs, only that some do. That can be a significant number of people.

Some people that drink Pepsi got on to do harder drugs, do you favor outlawing Pepsi?

Some people that drink Apple Juice got on to do harder drugs, do you favor outlawing Apple Juice?

Some people that drink milk got on to do harder drugs, do you favor outlawing milk?

Some people that drink Pepsi got on to do harder drugs, do you favor outlawing Pepsi?

Some people that drink Apple Juice got on to do harder drugs, do you favor outlawing Apple Juice?

Some people that drink milk got on to do harder drugs, do you favor outlawing milk?
Pepsi, apple juice, and milk are drugs?

"Gateway" is a poor term. I like "introductory" better. Pot introduces kids to the world of psycho drugs.

Last edited:
Chemically no, but it can have a psychedelic effect on some people.

Absolutely. I lost a best friend over pot. The guy started to get paranoid and imagine all our friends were conspiring against him. He's always had minor mental problems that he refused to address, but I believe pot augmented those problems and now researchers support my theory.

When things got so bad he lost every friend he had except me, I felt the need to intervene. I told him he really needs to see somebody about his issues and I would be there with him every step of the way. After all, we were best friends. That's when he severed our relationship as well.

He and his father never got along, but he was close with his mother and sister. I believe his mother died sometime after we were no longer friends, but my cousin knew a guy that was a regular customer at his sisters hair salon. He asked about my former friend and she replied she hasn't talked to him in 15 years.

It's a real shame to suffer through life that way.

Forum List

Back