A Ginsburg replacement is 'worth the White House and Senate'

With the election looking every close and the shifting demographics in the country, establishing a solid Conservative SCOTUS is an absolute MUST! We have 40 days, get that process going now!

Thomas is 72. Scalia is 70. Do you honestly think that this Conservative SCOTUS you are willing to sacrifice everything for will last more than a year or two? Honestly both will be gone in the next administration. Now you have five four Liberal.

Um, you know Scalia died in 2016, right?

The current Justices of the Supreme Court are:

Stephen Breyer, 82
Clarence Thomas, 72
Samuel Alito, 70
Sonia Sotomayor, 66
John Roberts, 65
Elena Kagan, 60
Brett Kavanaugh, 55
Neil Gorsuch, 53

So yeah, it's possible that we might lose Thomas and Alito soon. But by sheer age, it's a lot more likely that Breyer is going to pass first.

Whether or not a new Trump nominee will last "more than a year or two" would depend on who he nominates, but Gorsuch and Kavanaugh seem to indicate he's looking for relative youth and longevity.

I meant Alito. I screwed up the name. But the point remains. Two of the Conservatives are very old. Retirement or death are imminent.

None of them are exactly spring chickens. Be that as it may, that doesn't necessarily mean Thomas and Alito are going to die in the next four years, either. I have no idea what their personal health is like. Ginsburg made it to 87, even with recurring health problems.

My counterpoint remains. Breyer is the most likely to pass in the next few years, and he's not a conservative. And I fail to see why the age of the remaining Justices means any nomination is not worth the bother.

If it costs the Whitehouse and Senate it isn’t.
You guys always said the White House is the Vegetable's. Having doubts?

I don’t know who You Guys are. I voted for Trump in 2016. I am not voting this year. I don’t like either candidate.

Never mind whether you "like" them. It's not like you're ever going to be invited to have a beer with either of them, so "liking" them is irrelevant.

The point is that one of them is going to be President for the next four years. Do you want the America four years of Biden will bring, or the America four years of Trump will bring? While it's possible to not want either of them, it's not possible to GET neither of them. And it's a pretty stark difference.

I can not vote for either. Trump’s authoritarian crap is an intolerable insult to the Constitution I swore to defend. I can not vote for him. Biden’s idiocy is similarly an insult to the Constitution. I can not vote for him.

If I vote for Trump to defend the Second. I am also voting for his position on Police Misconduct. That position is simply stated. No such thing. In fact he shut down a vital tool to defending the Constitution when the Compliance Actions were shut down. I can not vote for that.

Biden’s disdain for the Second is well known. I can’t vote for that.

So I can not vote for either and I will not. And honestly in Georgia it won’t matter. Republicans are going to win without my vote. Democrats would still lose even if I voted for them.

Both paths lead to ruin. I will not participate in choosing which path to national suicide we take. And it will be national suicide no matter who wins.

I have said it many times. A pox on both their houses. No matter who wins we are running full speed towards the authoritarian future I dread. Either through respect my authoritarian crap or the Government is the answer idiocy.

Neither side cares about the Constitution. For both sides it is a hurdle to get around or over. So go ahead and vote. Pretend you are choosing the lesser of two evils. Pretend you are supporting what this nation needs. It ends in tears and death no matter which path you choose.

What makes you think the senate and White House would be gained by the democrats over this? this is one of the reasons if not the greatest reason why he won in 2016. If people don't vote for Trump because of this they were never going to vote for him in the first place.

I don't. Just a question concerning the worth of the SC seat postulated by some Yahoo news anonymous source. I thought it an interesting question.

My primary reason in voting for Trump is the SCOTUS. If it were an actual case of either or, which would you choose?
And two more justices are 72 yrs old or older. Chances are Trump will nominate at least 1 more during his 2nd term.
:beer:

I just hope that, if that is the case, it's because the Justice in question chose to retire and be with his/her family, rather than dying.
Agree and whatever the reason for retiring, if a constitutionalist Justice quits when Repubs control the WH & Senate it will be seen by our hysterical leftards as political.

Fug 'em.

OF COURSE it's political. And fuck them if they want to pretend they consider that a bad thing, or that they don't make the same political calculations. We have a vision of what America should be; so do they. We have an agenda to work toward our vision; so do they. I'm sick and tired of everyone catering to the bunch of know-nothings out there who haven't already figured this simple, logical progression out.

With the election looking every close and the shifting demographics in the country, establishing a solid Conservative SCOTUS is an absolute MUST! We have 40 days, get that process going now!

Thomas is 72. Scalia is 70. Do you honestly think that this Conservative SCOTUS you are willing to sacrifice everything for will last more than a year or two? Honestly both will be gone in the next administration. Now you have five four Liberal.

Stephen Breyer, 82
Clarence Thomas, 72
Samuel Alito, 70
Sonia Sotomayor, 66
John Roberts, 65
Elena Kagan, 60
Brett Kavanaugh, 55
Neil Gorsuch, 53

So yeah, it's possible that we might lose Thomas and Alito soon. But by sheer age, it's a lot more likely that Breyer is going to pass first.

Whether or not a new Trump nominee will last "more than a year or two" would depend on who he nominates, but Gorsuch and Kavanaugh seem to indicate he's looking for relative youth and longevity.

I meant Alito. I screwed up the name. But the point remains. Two of the Conservatives are very old. Retirement or death are imminent.

None of them are exactly spring chickens. Be that as it may, that doesn't necessarily mean Thomas and Alito are going to die in the next four years, either. I have no idea what their personal health is like. Ginsburg made it to 87, even with recurring health problems.

My counterpoint remains. Breyer is the most likely to pass in the next few years, and he's not a conservative. And I fail to see why the age of the remaining Justices means any nomination is not worth the bother.

I don’t know who You Guys are. I voted for Trump in 2016. I am not voting this year. I don’t like either candidate.

Never mind whether you "like" them. It's not like you're ever going to be invited to have a beer with either of them, so "liking" them is irrelevant.

The point is that one of them is going to be President for the next four years. Do you want the America four years of Biden will bring, or the America four years of Trump will bring? While it's possible to not want either of them, it's not possible to GET neither of them. And it's a pretty stark difference.

I can not vote for either. Trump’s authoritarian crap is an intolerable insult to the Constitution I swore to defend. I can not vote for him. Biden’s idiocy is similarly an insult to the Constitution. I can not vote for him.

If I vote for Trump to defend the Second. I am also voting for his position on Police Misconduct. That position is simply stated. No such thing. In fact he shut down a vital tool to defending the Constitution when the Compliance Actions were shut down. I can not vote for that.

So I can not vote for either and I will not. And honestly in Georgia it won’t matter. Republicans are going to win without my vote. Democrats would still lose even if I voted for them.

Both paths lead to ruin. I will not participate in choosing which path to national suicide we take. And it will be national suicide no matter who wins.

I have said it many times. A pox on both their houses. No matter who wins we are running full speed towards the authoritarian future I dread. Either through respect my authoritarian crap or the Government is the answer idiocy.

Neither side cares about the Constitution. For both sides it is a hurdle to get around or over. So go ahead and vote. Pretend you are choosing the lesser of two evils. Pretend you are supporting what this nation needs. It ends in tears and death no matter which path you choose.

Okay, now this is really interesting, because most people I know are firmly on one side or the other in this election. I know there are people out there who are undecided, or taking an "a pox on both your houses!" stance like you, but I am not actually acquainted with any of them. I'm very curious, if you don't mind answering questions. I promise to be polite and courteous, if you are.

When you say "Trump's authoritarian crap", exactly what are you referring to? Likewise, what do you mean by "Biden's idiocy"? I know what I consider his idiocy to be, but that's not necessarily what you're thinking.

What do you consider Trump's position on police misconduct to be, and in what way do you consider it to be wrong? I'm afraid I really can't question or argue with Biden's disdain for the Second Amendment.

Should I assume this post to mean that your primary issue concerns are the Second Amendment and government use of force domestically, or are there other issues that impact your voting decisions?

Stephen Breyer, 82
Clarence Thomas, 72
Samuel Alito, 70
Sonia Sotomayor, 66
John Roberts, 65
Elena Kagan, 60
Brett Kavanaugh, 55
Neil Gorsuch, 53

There is no comparison between Trump and Biden. With Donald Trump what you see is what you get. He is taking on the tough problems that other Presidents ignored making them MUCH worse. Biden is a meat puppet who will usher in the demise of the US and the ascension of China as the world's super power.

The only conceivable votes that Trump will lose if he succeeds in replacing RBG with a Conservative are the votes of a few Independents who think he should wait until after the election, in the interest of "fairness." OTOH, I don't see him gaining any votes if he succeeds. People who support him will only support him more fervently.

I disagree. I think many conservatives - the moral, intelligent conservatives who recognize that Trump is a despicable person - will find it easier to not vote for him once RBG has been replaced by a conservative.
What Donald Trump may or may not be personally is totally irrelevant to leaving RBG's seat vacant until after the election. You Trump haters allow your emotions to take over your thought process.

I'm not particularly emotional about it. I just recognize a scumbag when I see one. Apparently, you don't.
Even if Donald Trump was a 'scumbag' in his personal life, that would still be irrelevant to the issue at hand.

I disagree. The personal virtues, or lack thereof, of the President have a direct impact on his or her capacity for good leadership.

Nonsense. Consider Jimmy Carter. A moral man. Nearly a saint in private life, but politically confused, and a very poor leader.

The best leaders are not acquiescent pansies. They kick ass to accomplish their goals, and don't bother to take names.

Yes, it takes both strength and morality. One without the other won't do.
Cant recall the last time that a US president had any semblance of morality.

I find myself in a very strange position this cycle as I cannot stand Trump but the libertarian ticket is simply not an option as the candidates have lost their damn minds and the democrats are, to my utter disbelief, driving me to actually consider voting for Trump....

The outright threats to destroy the judiciary and openly supporting violent actors to the point of essentially giving them money makes even Trump look acceptable.

Looks like the new judge will be convicting the democrats to a very long sentence from their voter fraud operation as her first task. What could be a better start for an excellent career?

Stephen Breyer, 82
Clarence Thomas, 72
Samuel Alito, 70
Sonia Sotomayor, 66
John Roberts, 65
Elena Kagan, 60
Brett Kavanaugh, 55
Neil Gorsuch, 53

Okay, now this is really interesting, because most people I know are firmly on one side or the other in this election. I know there are people out there who are undecided, or taking an "a pox on both your houses!" stance like you, but I am not actually acquainted with any of them. I'm very curious, if you don't mind answering questions. I promise to be polite and courteous, if you are.

When you say "Trump's authoritarian crap", exactly what are you referring to? Likewise, what do you mean by "Biden's idiocy"? I know what I consider his idiocy to be, but that's not necessarily what you're thinking.

What do you consider Trump's position on police misconduct to be, and in what way do you consider it to be wrong? I'm afraid I really can't question or argue with Biden's disdain for the Second Amendment.

Should I assume this post to mean that your primary issue concerns are the Second Amendment and government use of force domestically, or are there other issues that impact your voting decisions?

Authoritarian Crap. We have seen plenty of evidence that the FISA courts are regularly abused. The IG report said that every single one of the two dozen files reviewed showed serious misconduct by the FBI. Every one. Not most. Not a majority. All of them.

Anyone else would have moved to restrict that nonsense at a minimum. Gone to Congress and gotten a bill to reduce and restrict the times and ways you could get a FISA warrant. Nope. Not Washington. Too busy trying to figure out how to use the power themselves.

No FBI agents were fired. None were prosecuted for Perjury. Just a memo telling them to stop it. Well that fixes everything doesn’t it?

The Compliance Investigations. An investigation into the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department found a hundred. That is right. 100 policies procedures and the like that violated the Constitution. The Sheriff was prosecuted for obstruction of Justice in trying to interfere with the investigation. Trump shit down those systemic investigations almost immediately upon taking office.

Now. Think about that. We know. We know that the Departments have Unconstitutional Practices. We know it. Yet Trump ceased the mechanism to expose and rectify those actions. The Sheriff was an oddity. Normally the Departments are given a list of things to change. And it is back to business. The Sheriff could not allow some of those practices to come to light.

How do you claim you are defending the Constitution when you stop the people who are exposing the violations and bringing them to a halt?

Biden’s idiocy. You could put Biden in front of a meeting of the KKK and he would swear he had always supported them.

Biden will promise that Coal will keep being used speaking to the Miners. Then he will promise it will be ended when speaking to environmentalists.

The Sub Prime crap from twelve years ago. Biden is one who helped foster the environment that led to it. He did not push to fix it. They never prosecuted one single person. And guess what? Today the money men are doing exactly the same thing. Only they have new terms. It will happen again. Because we did not hold people accountable for their corruption.

I agree with Biden that the Bankruptcy system needs fixing. We let corporations write off debt. But the workers impacted by that are not able to.

But realistically the biggest problem with Biden is his health. He won’t last two years. Forget about four. He is too addle minded today to be put in the office. The Staff are going to run him. Then Harris will step up.

I can’t actively participate in putting either man in that office. I voted for Trump before. I’m sitting this one out.

Stephen Breyer, 82
Clarence Thomas, 72
Samuel Alito, 70
Sonia Sotomayor, 66
John Roberts, 65
Elena Kagan, 60
Brett Kavanaugh, 55
Neil Gorsuch, 53

Authoritarian Crap. We have seen plenty of evidence that the FISA courts are regularly abused. The IG report said that every single one of the two dozen files reviewed showed serious misconduct by the FBI. Every one. Not most. Not a majority. All of them.

Anyone else would have moved to restrict that nonsense at a minimum. Gone to Congress and gotten a bill to reduce and restrict the times and ways you could get a FISA warrant. Nope. Not Washington. Too busy trying to figure out how to use the power themselves.

No FBI agents were fired. None were prosecuted for Perjury. Just a memo telling them to stop it. Well that fixes everything doesn’t it?

The Compliance Investigations. An investigation into the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department found a hundred. That is right. 100 policies procedures and the like that violated the Constitution. The Sheriff was prosecuted for obstruction of Justice in trying to interfere with the investigation. Trump shit down those systemic investigations almost immediately upon taking office.

Now. Think about that. We know. We know that the Departments have Unconstitutional Practices. We know it. Yet Trump ceased the mechanism to expose and rectify those actions. The Sheriff was an oddity. Normally the Departments are given a list of things to change. And it is back to business. The Sheriff could not allow some of those practices to come to light.

How do you claim you are defending the Constitution when you stop the people who are exposing the violations and bringing them to a halt?

Biden’s idiocy. You could put Biden in front of a meeting of the KKK and he would swear he had always supported them.

Biden will promise that Coal will keep being used speaking to the Miners. Then he will promise it will be ended when speaking to environmentalists.

The Sub Prime crap from twelve years ago. Biden is one who helped foster the environment that led to it. He did not push to fix it. They never prosecuted one single person. And guess what? Today the money men are doing exactly the same thing. Only they have new terms. It will happen again. Because we did not hold people accountable for their corruption.

I agree with Biden that the Bankruptcy system needs fixing. We let corporations write off debt. But the workers impacted by that are not able to.

But realistically the biggest problem with Biden is his health. He won’t last two years. Forget about four. He is too addle minded today to be put in the office. The Staff are going to run him. Then Harris will step up.

I can’t actively participate in putting either man in that office. I voted for Trump before. I’m sitting this one out.

Thanks for clearing your objections to Biden up. Can't really argue, since I think Biden is a terrible choice, myself.

As for your objections to Trump, I have to say I have no idea what you're talking about in regards to Compliance Investigations, nor can I locate any information about it. If you could provide a link to put me in the correct area, I would appreciate it.

I can't see how you can hold Trump accountable for the problems with FISA courts. He's not the one who put that system in place. His DOJ is still investigating, last time I checked. I'm not sure what else you could want at this point. I'm certainly not prepared to say that Trump is blowing off something that was abused against him.

Stephen Breyer, 82
Clarence Thomas, 72
Samuel Alito, 70
Sonia Sotomayor, 66
John Roberts, 65
Elena Kagan, 60
Brett Kavanaugh, 55
Neil Gorsuch, 53

Considering Trump's refusal to involve our military in adventures intended to improve his popularity as so many presidents before him have done, I chose a tearful ending rather than a fatal one.

Pretending the Repubs - for all their warts - are just as bad for America and Americans as the Dems is just plain wrong but I admit I'm not voting for the former but rather against the latter.

Stephen Breyer, 82
Clarence Thomas, 72
Samuel Alito, 70
Sonia Sotomayor, 66
John Roberts, 65
Elena Kagan, 60
Brett Kavanaugh, 55
Neil Gorsuch, 53

Thanks for clearing your objections to Biden up. Can't really argue, since I think Biden is a terrible choice, myself.

As for your objections to Trump, I have to say I have no idea what you're talking about in regards to Compliance Investigations, nor can I locate any information about it. If you could provide a link to put me in the correct area, I would appreciate it.

I can't see how you can hold Trump accountable for the problems with FISA courts. He's not the one who put that system in place. His DOJ is still investigating, last time I checked. I'm not sure what else you could want at this point. I'm certainly not prepared to say that Trump is blowing off something that was abused against him.

We had the investigation. We know it is being abused. Why has no reform been proposed?

The police know they can get away with abuses. Nobody is going to hold them accountable. So they abuse us.

Stephen Breyer, 82
Clarence Thomas, 72
Samuel Alito, 70
Sonia Sotomayor, 66
John Roberts, 65
Elena Kagan, 60
Brett Kavanaugh, 55
Neil Gorsuch, 53

Considering Trump's refusal to involve our military in adventures intended to improve his popularity as so many presidents before him have done, I chose a tearful ending rather than a fatal one.

Pretending the Repubs - for all their warts - are just as bad for America and Americans as the Dems is just plain wrong but I admit I'm not voting for the former but rather against the latter.

You don’t hear about it. But they happen.

So we are out. Sort of out. And we are sending more troops and equipment in. But we are out. Except for the oil. We kept the oil. But we are out. Other than helping the locals fight ISIS and whoever else. We are totally out.

See we are out of Syria. Except we are in. And increasing our numbers. But we are really out.

The only conceivable votes that Trump will lose if he succeeds in replacing RBG with a Conservative are the votes of a few Independents who think he should wait until after the election, in the interest of "fairness." OTOH, I don't see him gaining any votes if he succeeds. People who support him will only support him more fervently.

I disagree. I think many conservatives - the moral, intelligent conservatives who recognize that Trump is a despicable person - will find it easier to not vote for him once RBG has been replaced by a conservative.
What Donald Trump may or may not be personally is totally irrelevant to leaving RBG's seat vacant until after the election. You Trump haters allow your emotions to take over your thought process.

I'm not particularly emotional about it. I just recognize a scumbag when I see one. Apparently, you don't.
Even if Donald Trump was a 'scumbag' in his personal life, that would still be irrelevant to the issue at hand.

I disagree. The personal virtues, or lack thereof, of the President have a direct impact on his or her capacity for good leadership.

Nonsense. Consider Jimmy Carter. A moral man. Nearly a saint in private life, but politically confused, and a very poor leader.

The best leaders are not acquiescent pansies. They kick ass to accomplish their goals, and don't bother to take names.

Yes, it takes both strength and morality. One without the other won't do.

I find myself in a very strange position this cycle as I cannot stand Trump but the libertarian ticket is simply not an option as the candidates have lost their damn minds and the democrats are, to my utter disbelief, driving me to actually consider voting for Trump....

The outright threats to destroy the judiciary and openly supporting violent actors to the point of essentially giving them money makes even Trump look acceptable.
When is the last, or even the first, time you found a politician with any semblance of morality? Politicians are whores. They go into politics for either money or power.

Compared to Trump? Seriously?

I find myself in a very strange position this cycle as I cannot stand Trump but the libertarian ticket is simply not an option as the candidates have lost their damn minds ...

In my view, Trump is doing far more damage to the cause of liberty than Democrats. Not because Democrats are more libertarian - they are decidedly not. But Trump has become the face of conservatism for an entire generation of voters. Those voters are now warming to actual socialism - not just the liberal welfare state, but out and out state control of the economy - because they see it as the alternative to Trump's ugliness.

Last edited:

Just period.

The only real difference I see with Trump is that he does not hide it. He seems to be proud that he acts like a bastard. The others tried to hide their BS behind a silk tongue.
I find myself in a very strange position this cycle as I cannot stand Trump but the libertarian ticket is simply not an option as the candidates have lost their damn minds ...

In my view, Trump is doing far more damage to the cause of liberty than Democrats. Not because Democrats are more libertarian - they are decidedly not. But Trump has become the face of conservatism for an entire generation of voters. Those voters are now warming to actual socialism - not just the liberal welfare state, but out and out state control of the economy - because they see it as the alternative to Trump's ugliness.
No, not compared to Trump but that is not the issue there. The problem is that I see voting for the libertarians this cycle as acknowledging that they can retain my support and still slide into a copy of the most deplorable parts of the democrat party. They need to actually get back to what they stand for and voting for them like the republicans and democrats doggedly vote for their parties certainly will not force them to retain the values that should be holding them together. There is zero purpose to a third party if that party is not even going to follow their own tenants.

As for the left going off the deep end, that is not an effect of Trump. It is the opposite, Trump is a symptom not the cause of our deeply ill political system. They were supporting outright socialism before Trump, talking about destroying the courts before Trump, engaging in the personnel destruction of anyone and everyone who disagrees with them before Trump and abandoned even a scant semblance of understanding what rights actually are long before Trump. If any of the other candidates on the right managed to take the nomination and win the election in 2016, the vitriol would be no less from the left than it is now. The only real difference is it would be less justified.

Trump may be terrible, corrupt and a horrible president but he is also self serving to an extreme degree. Self serving I can at least understand and I think it will mostly end with the end of Trump. Almost no one on the right (the political players, not the voters) likes where they are and where they have had to go because or blind support for 'their guy.' The left today, OTOH, is openly promoting violence, openly holding the entire nation hostage (vote for us or we will burn your cities down), openly racist in the truest sense of the word and has utterly bought into real and actual collectivism - the root of pretty much every single solitary mass atrocity in the modern world. The danger of collectivism cannot be understated in any shape or form. I have NEVER actually thought we were in a position of real danger in this nation before and I find it hard to not see such as the case now. I actually think that we have a real possibility of sliding onto something that is truly heinous. That simply cannot happen with the level of technology that exists today or the level of supremacy that the US holds on the world stage.

We may also be facing a true crisis in the world today as well as China inches ever closer to pre WWII Germany. It no longer even makes the news that they are rounding up Muslim Uighurs and placing them in camps. Estimates that they have 'reeducated' over a million people are almost a year old now - where they are today we can only guess. Trump is clearly unable to even come close to dealing with this mess but in his infinite ineptitude at least we are moving away from outright supporting it by utter accident. Biden would just go back to the standard, as long as we get cheap shit from China everything is good to go, particularly considering they are the shinning example of what the far left wants anyway, a controlled economy.

I truly have no idea what to do to be honest - I cannot support the democrat party in its current - and actually evil - form. Never in my lifetime have I thought one or the party actually was starting to embody evil - that was always an idiotic platitude - but the dems certainly are trying. I see it every day now (I live near Seattle) as this area is degrading at a truly alarming rate. I feel like I am stuck in this quote:

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. They may be more likely to go to Heaven yet at the same time likelier to make a Hell of earth. This very kindness stings with intolerable insult. To be “cured” against one’s will and cured of states which we may not regard as disease is to be put on a level of those who have not yet reached the age of reason or those who never will; to be classed with infants, imbeciles, and domestic animals. "
C. S. Lewis

Alito is my favorite justice because of his refusal to consider Roe v Wade settled law. i doubt that will change after Trump makes his pick!

New Topics

Forum List

Back