A Ginsburg replacement is 'worth the White House and Senate'

The only conceivable votes that Trump will lose if he succeeds in replacing RBG with a Conservative are the votes of a few Independents who think he should wait until after the election, in the interest of "fairness." OTOH, I don't see him gaining any votes if he succeeds. People who support him will only support him more fervently.

I disagree. I think many conservatives - the moral, intelligent conservatives who recognize that Trump is a despicable person - will find it easier to not vote for him once RBG has been replaced by a conservative.
What Donald Trump may or may not be personally is totally irrelevant to leaving RBG's seat vacant until after the election. You Trump haters allow your emotions to take over your thought process.

I'm not particularly emotional about it. I just recognize a scumbag when I see one. Apparently, you don't.
Even if Donald Trump was a 'scumbag' in his personal life, that would still be irrelevant to the issue at hand.

I disagree. The personal virtues, or lack thereof, of the President have a direct impact on his or her capacity for good leadership.

With the election looking every close and the shifting demographics in the country, establishing a solid Conservative SCOTUS is an absolute MUST! We have 40 days, get that process going now!

Thomas is 72. Scalia is 70. Do you honestly think that this Conservative SCOTUS you are willing to sacrifice everything for will last more than a year or two? Honestly both will be gone in the next administration. Now you have five four Liberal.

Um, you know Scalia died in 2016, right?

The current Justices of the Supreme Court are:

Stephen Breyer, 82
Clarence Thomas, 72
Samuel Alito, 70
Sonia Sotomayor, 66
John Roberts, 65
Elena Kagan, 60
Brett Kavanaugh, 55
Neil Gorsuch, 53

So yeah, it's possible that we might lose Thomas and Alito soon. But by sheer age, it's a lot more likely that Breyer is going to pass first.

Whether or not a new Trump nominee will last "more than a year or two" would depend on who he nominates, but Gorsuch and Kavanaugh seem to indicate he's looking for relative youth and longevity.

I meant Alito. I screwed up the name. But the point remains. Two of the Conservatives are very old. Retirement or death are imminent.

None of them are exactly spring chickens. Be that as it may, that doesn't necessarily mean Thomas and Alito are going to die in the next four years, either. I have no idea what their personal health is like. Ginsburg made it to 87, even with recurring health problems.

My counterpoint remains. Breyer is the most likely to pass in the next few years, and he's not a conservative. And I fail to see why the age of the remaining Justices means any nomination is not worth the bother.

If it costs the Whitehouse and Senate it isn’t.
You guys always said the White House is the Vegetable's. Having doubts?

The only conceivable votes that Trump will lose if he succeeds in replacing RBG with a Conservative are the votes of a few Independents who think he should wait until after the election, in the interest of "fairness." OTOH, I don't see him gaining any votes if he succeeds. People who support him will only support him more fervently.

I disagree. I think many conservatives - the moral, intelligent conservatives who recognize that Trump is a despicable person - will find it easier to not vote for him once RBG has been replaced by a conservative.
What Donald Trump may or may not be personally is totally irrelevant to leaving RBG's seat vacant until after the election. You Trump haters allow your emotions to take over your thought process.

I'm not particularly emotional about it. I just recognize a scumbag when I see one. Apparently, you don't.
Even if Donald Trump was a 'scumbag' in his personal life, that would still be irrelevant to the issue at hand.

I disagree. The personal virtues, or lack thereof, of the President have a direct impact on his or her capacity for good leadership.
I'm laughing that Democrat says this. Not that it isnt true.

That's why I fully support Ttump

None of them are exactly spring chickens. Be that as it may, that doesn't necessarily mean Thomas and Alito are going to die in the next four years, either. I have no idea what their personal health is like. Ginsburg made it to 87, even with recurring health problems.

My counterpoint remains. Breyer is the most likely to pass in the next few years, and he's not a conservative. And I fail to see why the age of the remaining Justices means any nomination is not worth the bother.
Our elder jurists need not leave the bench wearing toe tags. Retirement - despite RGB's sentiments - is legit and honorable. A Justice Emeritus could bask in the sunset while enjoying the appreciation and even adulation for his/her service.
A bird in hand or 2 in da bush? A solidly constitutionalist USSC could protect Americans for decades from the tyranny our "progressives" are always trying to impose and yeah ... RBG was definitely a "progressive."

OTOH the loss of the WH and/or Senate as punishment is just speculation. I'll take the USSC bird in hand.

Last edited:
With the election looking every close and the shifting demographics in the country, establishing a solid Conservative SCOTUS is an absolute MUST! We have 40 days, get that process going now!

Thomas is 72. Scalia is 70. Do you honestly think that this Conservative SCOTUS you are willing to sacrifice everything for will last more than a year or two? Honestly both will be gone in the next administration. Now you have five four Liberal.

Stephen Breyer, 82
Clarence Thomas, 72
Samuel Alito, 70
Sonia Sotomayor, 66
John Roberts, 65
Elena Kagan, 60
Brett Kavanaugh, 55
Neil Gorsuch, 53

So yeah, it's possible that we might lose Thomas and Alito soon. But by sheer age, it's a lot more likely that Breyer is going to pass first.

Whether or not a new Trump nominee will last "more than a year or two" would depend on who he nominates, but Gorsuch and Kavanaugh seem to indicate he's looking for relative youth and longevity.

I meant Alito. I screwed up the name. But the point remains. Two of the Conservatives are very old. Retirement or death are imminent.

I don’t know who You Guys are. I voted for Trump in 2016. I am not voting this year. I don’t like either candidate.

Our elder jurists need not leave the bench wearing toe tags. Retirement - despite RGB's sentiments - is legit and honorable. A Justice Emeritus could bask in the sunset while enjoying the appreciation and even adulation for his/her service.
A bird in hand or 2 in da bush? A solidly constitutionalist USSC could protect Americans for decades from the tyranny our "progressives" are always trying to impose and yeah ... RBG was definitely a "progressive."

OTOH the loss of the WH and/or Senate as punishment is just speculation. I'll take the USSC bird in hand.

That’s the point. It won’t be decades. Thomas is 72. Alito is 70. They are not going to live long enough for decades of Conservative rulings. The winner of 2020 will replace at least one of them. If a Conservative is not in the White House with a Friendly Senate then Conservative Rule could be as little as two years. And what then? More complaints about the Damned Marxist Liberals?

It is way smarter to make it a campaign issue. If you lose in November you still have time during the Lame Duck session to ram it through.

the right is going to do it. for the left to scream FOUL is understandable, but pure hypocrisy. does ANYONE feel the left WOULDN'T do the same if given the proper chance? hell the left invents reasons to do their bullshit and this would be legal, by process and law.

something they don't seem used to these days.

i certainly understand the anger. they didn't vote on obama's pick and just let it "expire". now we can keep getting "revenge" politics in and destroy the system

OR

we can figure out TOGETHER how to improve what we have.

seems everyone is all in on destruction.

What makes you think the senate and White House would be gained by the democrats over this? this is one of the reasons if not the greatest reason why he won in 2016. If people don't vote for Trump because of this they were never going to vote for him in the first place.

I don't. Just a question concerning the worth of the SC seat postulated by some Yahoo news anonymous source. I thought it an interesting question.

My primary reason in voting for Trump is the SCOTUS. If it were an actual case of either or, which would you choose?
And two more justices are 72 yrs old or older. Chances are Trump will nominate at least 1 more during his 2nd term.
:beer:

I just hope that, if that is the case, it's because the Justice in question chose to retire and be with his/her family, rather than dying.

Why does anyone think it's one or the other.

We'll keep it all and take the House. Nancy has run the House into the ground

I'd certainly like to think so, but I'm worried that there are a lot of very ignorant people in this country, and many of them pay no more attention to politics and current events than to just skim the headlines.

Stephen Breyer, 82
Clarence Thomas, 72
Samuel Alito, 70
Sonia Sotomayor, 66
John Roberts, 65
Elena Kagan, 60
Brett Kavanaugh, 55
Neil Gorsuch, 53

An appointment that will last for decades? Yeah, it's worth risking it.

The Senators pushing now were objecting four years ago. Hypocrisy does not play well. Are you really ready for ad after ad playing showing the blatant hypocrisy over and over again?

There's no hypocrisy there, as much as the leftists will try to scream that there is. The truth is that the circumstances four years ago were very different than they are now, and the Republicans were very clear about how the circumstances then affected their choice, however much the media misquoted them.

The Democrats, on the other hand, really are being hypocritical in their words, although their actions are pretty consistent if you understand what their real outlook and goals are.

I'm laughing that Democrat says this. Not that it isnt true.

That's why I fully support Ttump

I'm not a Democrat.

That’s the point. It won’t be decades. Thomas is 72. Alito is 70. They are not going to live long enough for decades of Conservative rulings. The winner of 2020 will replace at least one of them. If a Conservative is not in the White House with a Friendly Senate then Conservative Rule could be as little as two years. And what then? More complaints about the Damned Marxist Liberals?

It is way smarter to make it a campaign issue. If you lose in November you still have time during the Lame Duck session to ram it through.

No, that's NOT the point. The appointment he makes will last for decades, whether OTHER seats become vacant or not. Unless the Justice he appoints meets a fatal accident, that person is going to be on the Supreme Court for decades.

And frankly, I don't see "Well, other seats are going to become vacant right away, so we should just piss this one away" as a compelling argument. That is a recipe for playing to lose nicely, rather than playing to win.

Stephen Breyer, 82
Clarence Thomas, 72
Samuel Alito, 70
Sonia Sotomayor, 66
John Roberts, 65
Elena Kagan, 60
Brett Kavanaugh, 55
Neil Gorsuch, 53

I don’t know who You Guys are. I voted for Trump in 2016. I am not voting this year. I don’t like either candidate.

Never mind whether you "like" them. It's not like you're ever going to be invited to have a beer with either of them, so "liking" them is irrelevant.

The point is that one of them is going to be President for the next four years. Do you want the America four years of Biden will bring, or the America four years of Trump will bring? While it's possible to not want either of them, it's not possible to GET neither of them. And it's a pretty stark difference.

No, that's NOT the point. The appointment he makes will last for decades, whether OTHER seats become vacant or not. Unless the Justice he appoints meets a fatal accident, that person is going to be on the Supreme Court for decades.

And frankly, I don't see "Well, other seats are going to become vacant right away, so we should just piss this one away" as a compelling argument. That is a recipe for playing to lose nicely, rather than playing to win.

Let me reiterate. Make it a campaign issue. Keep the Senate and White House. Worst case scenario you fill the seat after the election of you lose either or both. You make it a question for the voters and if you are right they help the Republicans keep control of the Senate, by no means guaranteed at this point, and you are in a position to keep the Court conservative for years to come.

You are acting like the young Bull. You need to start thinking like the old Bull. What you are saying and the Republicans are doing is admitting that there is little chance they will win the election and they have to strike now before they lose the Senate and White House.

The opportunity is not lost if you wait. The future or the Republicans may well be if you move now.

Because those campaign ads will show the Senators arguing that it has to wait for the election and then saying it doesn’t. The ads write themselves.

Nonsense. Consider Jimmy Carter. A moral man. Nearly a saint in private life, but politically confused, and a very poor leader.

The best leaders are not acquiescent pansies. They kick ass to accomplish their goals, and don't bother to take names.

Nonsense. Consider Jimmy Carter. A moral man. Nearly a saint in private life, but politically confused, and a very poor leader.

The best leaders are not acquiescent pansies. They kick ass to accomplish their goals, and don't bother to take names.

Yes, it takes both strength and morality. One without the other won't do.

What makes you think the senate and White House would be gained by the democrats over this? this is one of the reasons if not the greatest reason why he won in 2016. If people don't vote for Trump because of this they were never going to vote for him in the first place.

I don't. Just a question concerning the worth of the SC seat postulated by some Yahoo news anonymous source. I thought it an interesting question.

My primary reason in voting for Trump is the SCOTUS. If it were an actual case of either or, which would you choose?
And two more justices are 72 yrs old or older. Chances are Trump will nominate at least 1 more during his 2nd term.
:beer:

I just hope that, if that is the case, it's because the Justice in question chose to retire and be with his/her family, rather than dying.
Agree and whatever the reason for retiring, if a constitutionalist Justice quits when Repubs control the WH & Senate it will be seen by our hysterical leftards as political.

Fug 'em.

New Topics

Forum List

Back