A Ginsburg replacement is 'worth the White House and Senate'

With the election looking every close and the shifting demographics in the country, establishing a solid Conservative SCOTUS is an absolute MUST! We have 40 days, get that process going now!

Thomas is 72. Scalia is 70. Do you honestly think that this Conservative SCOTUS you are willing to sacrifice everything for will last more than a year or two? Honestly both will be gone in the next administration. Now you have five four Liberal.

Um, you know Scalia died in 2016, right?

The current Justices of the Supreme Court are:

Stephen Breyer, 82
Clarence Thomas, 72
Samuel Alito, 70
Sonia Sotomayor, 66
John Roberts, 65
Elena Kagan, 60
Brett Kavanaugh, 55
Neil Gorsuch, 53

So yeah, it's possible that we might lose Thomas and Alito soon. But by sheer age, it's a lot more likely that Breyer is going to pass first.

Whether or not a new Trump nominee will last "more than a year or two" would depend on who he nominates, but Gorsuch and Kavanaugh seem to indicate he's looking for relative youth and longevity.

I meant Alito. I screwed up the name. But the point remains. Two of the Conservatives are very old. Retirement or death are imminent.

None of them are exactly spring chickens. Be that as it may, that doesn't necessarily mean Thomas and Alito are going to die in the next four years, either. I have no idea what their personal health is like. Ginsburg made it to 87, even with recurring health problems.

My counterpoint remains. Breyer is the most likely to pass in the next few years, and he's not a conservative. And I fail to see why the age of the remaining Justices means any nomination is not worth the bother.

What makes you think the senate and White House would be gained by the democrats over this? this is one of the reasons if not the greatest reason why he won in 2016. If people don't vote for Trump because of this they were never going to vote for him in the first place.

I don't. Just a question concerning the worth of the SC seat postulated by some Yahoo news anonymous source. I thought it an interesting question.

My primary reason in voting for Trump is the SCOTUS. If it were an actual case of either or, which would you choose?
And two more justices are 72 yrs old or older. Chances are Trump will nominate at least 1 more during his 2nd term.
:beer:

Assuming that a replacement for Ginsburg has not been confirmed by November 3, and further assuming that Trump loses the election, should a defeated President be allowed to appoint a judge to the Supreme Court?

It should be pointed out, both assumptions are extremely likely. Trump is the least popular President in modern American history.

There is a corollary to the question. Should the defeated party in the Senate be allowed to confirm a Supreme Court judge?

Based on limited researched, I have been unable to find those questions addressed. However, allow me to answer my own questions.

There is absolutely nothing in the past four years to suggest that Trump and Trump Republicans in the Senate will put the will of the American people first.

If Trump is defeated, if the GOP loses control of the Senate -- both likely, why else are Republicans in such a hurry -- and Trump Republicans confirm Ginsburg's replacement, the GOP is likely to lose power for at least a generation.

Your assumption of his popularity is based upon evidence that is tenuous at best.

Should he lose (unlikely in my book), he is still president until noon on January 20, 2021. He will replace Ginsberg in any event.

Should the Democrats gain the Senate (also unlikely), the current majority serves until the Christmas recess. They will replace Ginsberg in any event.

With said replacement, it is far more likely that it is you people who will lose power for at least a generation.
And they know it thus their hysteria.

Why does anyone think it's one or the other.

We'll keep it all and take the House. Nancy has run the House into the ground

With the election looking every close and the shifting demographics in the country, establishing a solid Conservative SCOTUS is an absolute MUST! We have 40 days, get that process going now!

Thomas is 72. Scalia is 70. Do you honestly think that this Conservative SCOTUS you are willing to sacrifice everything for will last more than a year or two? Honestly both will be gone in the next administration. Now you have five four Liberal.

Stephen Breyer, 82
Clarence Thomas, 72
Samuel Alito, 70
Sonia Sotomayor, 66
John Roberts, 65
Elena Kagan, 60
Brett Kavanaugh, 55
Neil Gorsuch, 53

So yeah, it's possible that we might lose Thomas and Alito soon. But by sheer age, it's a lot more likely that Breyer is going to pass first.

Whether or not a new Trump nominee will last "more than a year or two" would depend on who he nominates, but Gorsuch and Kavanaugh seem to indicate he's looking for relative youth and longevity.

I meant Alito. I screwed up the name. But the point remains. Two of the Conservatives are very old. Retirement or death are imminent.

None of them are exactly spring chickens. Be that as it may, that doesn't necessarily mean Thomas and Alito are going to die in the next four years, either. I have no idea what their personal health is like. Ginsburg made it to 87, even with recurring health problems.

My counterpoint remains. Breyer is the most likely to pass in the next few years, and he's not a conservative. And I fail to see why the age of the remaining Justices means any nomination is not worth the bother.

If it costs the Whitehouse and Senate it isn’t.

Stephen Breyer, 82
Clarence Thomas, 72
Samuel Alito, 70
Sonia Sotomayor, 66
John Roberts, 65
Elena Kagan, 60
Brett Kavanaugh, 55
Neil Gorsuch, 53

If it costs the Whitehouse and Senate it isn’t.
There is no way to know before hand what the election effect will be, if any. There is no logical reason to leave the seat vacant until after the election. There are emotional reasons, just no logical reasons.

The only conceivable votes that Trump will lose if he succeeds in replacing RBG with a Conservative are the votes of a few Independents who think he should wait until after the election, in the interest of "fairness." OTOH, I don't see him gaining any votes if he succeeds. People who support him will only support him more fervently.

I disagree. I think many conservatives - the moral, intelligent conservatives who recognize that Trump is a despicable person - will find it easier to not vote for him once RBG has been replaced by a conservative.

The only conceivable votes that Trump will lose if he succeeds in replacing RBG with a Conservative are the votes of a few Independents who think he should wait until after the election, in the interest of "fairness." OTOH, I don't see him gaining any votes if he succeeds. People who support him will only support him more fervently.

I disagree. I think many conservatives - the moral, intelligent conservatives who recognize that Trump is a despicable person - will find it easier to not vote for him once RBG has been replaced by a conservative.
What Donald Trump may or may not be personally is totally irrelevant to leaving RBG's seat vacant until after the election. You Trump haters allow your emotions to take over your thought process.

What Donald Trump may or may not be personally is totally irrelevant to leaving RBG's seat vacant until after the election. You Trump haters allow your emotions to take over your thought process.

I'm not particularly emotional about it. I just recognize a scumbag when I see one. Apparently, you don't.

The Senators pushing now were objecting four years ago. Hypocrisy does not play well. Are you really ready for ad after ad playing showing the blatant hypocrisy over and over again?

The Senators pushing now were objecting four years ago. Hypocrisy does not play well. Are you really ready for ad after ad playing showing the blatant hypocrisy over and over again?
That's politics in America. The bottom line is there is no historical or legal basis to leave RBG's seat vacant until after the election, therefore the GOP should make an all out effort to fill the seat.

I'm not particularly emotional about it. I just recognize a scumbag when I see one. Apparently, you don't.
Even if Donald Trump was a 'scumbag' in his personal life, that would still be irrelevant to the issue at hand.

What makes you think the senate and White House would be gained by the democrats over this? this is one of the reasons if not the greatest reason why he won in 2016. If people don't vote for Trump because of this they were never going to vote for him in the first place.

I don't. Just a question concerning the worth of the SC seat postulated by some Yahoo news anonymous source. I thought it an interesting question.

My primary reason in voting for Trump is the SCOTUS. If it were an actual case of either or, which would you choose?
I really can't answer your question for the reason I explain
I do believe the President and the Republicans in the Senate would lose support if they didn't push for this because that's why they are where they are.

And two more justices are 72 yrs old or older. Chances are Trump will nominate at least 1 more during his 2nd term.
:beer:
Maybe even 3
Breyer is 82 after Trump's second term he'll be 86

Even though they'll be missed I do believe Thomas 72 and Alito 70 should resign around the second year of the president's second term.

008118EA-C549-4E32-B468-FCBE30CEE4DE.jpeg

Forum List

Back