A Frozen Screen

Wiseacre

Retired USAF Chief
Apr 8, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I have a couple of laptops and an eMachines desktop PC, has Windows 7 on it. It will totally freeze up at various times, and I got no clue if it's hardware or software. The laptops don't do it, it just freezes and you can't do anything but reboot. Any ideas?

I have a couple of laptops and an eMachines desktop PC, has Windows 7 on it. It will totally freeze up at various times, and I got no clue if it's hardware or software. The laptops don't do it, it just freezes and you can't do anything but reboot. Any ideas?

install ubuntu

And what the hell is ubuntu?

disregard my "advice". that is just what i post in the computer section randomly.

i cannot help you with your problem.

Deicer......

More input Stephanie........
Did it come with Win7 or did you upgrade? Did you recently do an update? How old is the machine? Is it a dual core, quad core, P4 chipset? On board graphics or is there a separate graphics card?

A) Report your computer to attackwatch.com

B) Speak softly to it and lightly stroke the inside of its knees with your fingers.

C) Find a tall building and let gravity do its job.

Mine freezes when the Norton does background tasks. I have set it not to do it for 20 minutes but cannot turn it off. So if you have Norton it might be that.

Needless to say but I am not re upping for Norton. Worst mistake you make is to get that.

Frozen computers can be anything really. However a common one is people installing two anti-virus programs... baddddddd idea.

I am actually having a similar problem with a laptop I am fixing. Now the guy who owns the laptop had installed two anti-virus which of course caused the freezing.

However there is still something wrong with the machine since the graphics card driver crashes also.. yes it is a sick puppy. Since the graphics card is a known problem child from Nvidia (old 9300 chip) then I suspect it is that... but... The machine has Windows 7 on it, which normally would not be a problem if it was not for the fact that the machine is an older Medion machine. Medion has a history of buying cheap ass parts (the thing has only 160 GB harddrive...) and not updating their drivers or telling people where to get new drivers.... which means no windows 7 drivers at all for this laptop model.. And since the machine came with a Vista installed with the correct drivers, then the whole problem set could simply be a driver issue of some sort.. we shall see.

Point I am trying to make is... the only way often you can figure out "freezing", "lagging" and so on issues, is by trial and error since it is in 9 out of 10 times 3rd party programs causing the problems... and good luck on figuring out which program. In fact I have had a machine (in the 1990s) freeze and do BSODs because of a faulty CD drive... but did it tell me that it was that? of course not.

This is the check list I normally follow on "freezing", lagging and BSOD. After each check, see if the problem has gone away.

1. Check for double anti-virus.
1a. Check which kind of anti-virus... Norton and McAfee can be problematic and should be removed as a test at some point. It can also simply be that the anti-virus is too aggressive in its scanning.
1b. Make sure the anti-virus is not fake.. googling the name often provides enough information to make that assessment if you are unsure.
2. Check for iTunes... can really screw up a system... remove
3. Check for "free bars".. google, yahoo and so on and remove
4. Check for Ashampoo programs.. remove.. or in general other suspect free programs.. they usually also install some sort of "cool" bar in your browser
5. Run Malwarebytes (Mallwarebytes.com) for malware, spyware, crapware.
6. Update drivers.
7. CTR ALT DEL and get into task manager and see what is using a lot of memory and/or CPU power.
8. Memory scan (Windows 7 has such a program else there are a few on the net).

If nothing of this works.. then reinstall since you have wasted enough time. If the problem is still there after reinstall and before you start installing anything, then you know it is a hardware problem.

Frozen computers can be anything really. However a common one is people installing two anti-virus programs... baddddddd idea.

I am actually having a similar problem with a laptop I am fixing. Now the guy who owns the laptop had installed two anti-virus which of course caused the freezing.

However there is still something wrong with the machine since the graphics card driver crashes also.. yes it is a sick puppy. Since the graphics card is a known problem child from Nvidia (old 9300 chip) then I suspect it is that... but... The machine has Windows 7 on it, which normally would not be a problem if it was not for the fact that the machine is an older Medion machine. Medion has a history of buying cheap ass parts (the thing has only 160 GB harddrive...) and not updating their drivers or telling people where to get new drivers.... which means no windows 7 drivers at all for this laptop model.. And since the machine came with a Vista installed with the correct drivers, then the whole problem set could simply be a driver issue of some sort.. we shall see.

Point I am trying to make is... the only way often you can figure out "freezing", "lagging" and so on issues, is by trial and error since it is in 9 out of 10 times 3rd party programs causing the problems... and good luck on figuring out which program. In fact I have had a machine (in the 1990s) freeze and do BSODs because of a faulty CD drive... but did it tell me that it was that? of course not.

This is the check list I normally follow on "freezing", lagging and BSOD. After each check, see if the problem has gone away.

1a. Check which kind of anti-virus... Norton and McAfee can be problematic and should be removed as a test at some point. It can also simply be that the anti-virus is too aggressive in its scanning.
1b. Make sure the anti-virus is not fake.. googling the name often provides enough information to make that assessment if you are unsure.
4. Check for Ashampoo programs.. remove.. or in general other suspect free programs.. they usually also install some sort of "cool" bar in your browser
6. Update drivers.
7. CTR ALT DEL and get into task manager and see what is using a lot of memory and/or CPU power.

If nothing of this works.. then reinstall since you have wasted enough time. If the problem is still there after reinstall and before you start installing anything, then you know it is a hardware problem.

Ummmmm,
1. I use 2 anti-viruses on all my computers and have never had an issue.
1b.. No they are not Norton or McAfee, I refuse to use them.
2. That's why I don't use iTunes.
3 & 4 Pay attention when loading opensource and you'll never have a problem with "free" bars.
4. I use Ashampoo all the time, just not their security software, again, no issues.
5. Definitely.
7. Yes but most won't know what their looking at.
8. Yeah but only to find out if you have a bad memory stick but that can be done by right clicking my computer then properties.

9. Turn off automatic updates and set for "notify me".

Personally the third thing I'd do is a system restore prior to the last update, It sounds like a software generated hardware conflict or a bad driver that most likely is due to an update.
As for hardware problems, if it's a add on Graphics card then switch to the on board graphics, if that fixes it then replace the card. If it's the hard drive (which in this case I doubt) then boot into BIOs and look for a diagnostic program, many computers now have them in BIOs. Run the diagnostic and if any errors are found then Google the error and it will tell you what the problem is.
After switching the video feed the diagnostic is the second thing I'd do.

Last edited:
And one other thing I just thought about, if you're using on board graphics pick up an inexpensive graphics card (give my your computer configuration and I can direct you to which card would be best). They're easy to install as long as you have a slot available which it should.

Ummmmm,

Problem is this. If you are unlucky to get a virus or malware, then the first anti-virus (in standard set up) will put that file in quarantine. Now the second anti-virus will find the firsts quarantine and think it is a virus and put it in its own quarantine, and then the first anti-virus will detect that quarantine file and the whole circus starts over. They basically are fighting for power on the PC and it can seriously make the PC suffer.

Having more than one anti-virus actively working at any time is highly not recommended.

Good for you. Just be aware of the fake anti-virus out there.

2. That's why I don't use iTunes.

Hehe..

3 & 4 Pay attention when loading opensource and you'll never have a problem with "free" bars.

Yea but 9 out of 10 people dont pay attention. And sometimes the opensource/freeware stuff actually installs those bars without telling you.. Ashampoo is known for this.

4. I use Ashampoo all the time, just not their security software, again, no issues.

Well that is not my experience to say the least.

7. Yes but most won't know what their looking at.

I know.

8. Yeah but only to find out if you have a bad memory stick but that can be done by right clicking my computer then properties.

Actually not really. What I am talking about is a memory stress test.. since it can be a small area of the memory on one stick that is a problem and only effects the computer at certain times... I have seen it and even more strange than that..

9. Turn off automatic updates and set for "notify me".

Naw, windows automatic updates are hardly ever an issue, unless you are trying to run windows 7 on a 386 with 256 mb ram or something.

Personally the third thing I'd do is a system restore prior to the last update, It sounds like a software generated hardware conflict or a bad driver that most likely is due to an update.

Yes that is an option but also it is not something with little knowledge can do. Not to mention if you do that, remember to make a back up if at all possible..

As for hardware problems, if it's a add on Graphics card then switch to the on board graphics, if that fixes it then replace the card. If it's the hard drive (which in this case I doubt) then boot into BIOs and look for a diagnostic program, many computers now have them in BIOs. Run the diagnostic and if any errors are found then Google the error and it will tell you what the problem is.

If you have a second graphics card lying around sure.. but it all depends on the computer. Most computers dont have onboard graphics cards and those that do often have their PCI-E slot removed to save money... yea stupid but hey..

Ummmmm,

Problem is this. If you are unlucky to get a virus or malware, then the first anti-virus (in standard set up) will put that file in quarantine. Now the second anti-virus will find the firsts quarantine and think it is a virus and put it in its own quarantine, and then the first anti-virus will detect that quarantine file and the whole circus starts over. They basically are fighting for power on the PC and it can seriously make the PC suffer.

Having more than one anti-virus actively working at any time is highly not recommended.

Good for you. Just be aware of the fake anti-virus out there.

Hehe..

Yea but 9 out of 10 people dont pay attention. And sometimes the opensource/freeware stuff actually installs those bars without telling you.. Ashampoo is known for this.

Well that is not my experience to say the least.

I know.

Actually not really. What I am talking about is a memory stress test.. since it can be a small area of the memory on one stick that is a problem and only effects the computer at certain times... I have seen it and even more strange than that..

Naw, windows automatic updates are hardly ever an issue, unless you are trying to run windows 7 on a 386 with 256 mb ram or something.

Yes that is an option but also it is not something with little knowledge can do. Not to mention if you do that, remember to make a back up if at all possible..

If you have a second graphics card lying around sure.. but it all depends on the computer. Most computers dont have onboard graphics cards and those that do often have their PCI-E slot removed to save money... yea stupid but hey..

Well he did say it was an E-Machine, that's the first problem. :lol:
I build my own machines and if I wasn't a gamer (not online) and I didn't need to stay on top of the Microsoft products I would use Linux Mint or Ubuntu exclusively and not deal with Windows crap. :D
Hell I have an old Dell P-4 that's running Mint 11 and is faster than a lot of Windows based dual cores I've built for people and it never crashes.

I've got a relatively new Dell Studio XPS i7 etc that does the same thing. I've read it has something to do with the BIOS and also the power suppy. Last damned Dell product I'll ever buy.

Well it's Saturday morning, I have my coffee in hand and I'm enjoying a "Deuling Computer Geeks" thread on USMB!

Thank you gentlemen! :lol:

6. Update drivers.

Or just install ubuntu or Mint...and never have these problems again...but do whatever is easiest for you by all means.

I've got a relatively new Dell Studio XPS i7 etc that does the same thing. I've read it has something to do with the BIOS and also the power suppy. Last damned Dell product I'll ever buy.

I believe there's a BIOs fix available at Dell but i haven't heard anything about power supply problems. Is it still under warranty?

I believe there's a BIOs fix available at Dell but i haven't heard anything about power supply problems. Is it still under warranty?

Nope. Like a dummy, I put it off. Honestly, I dreaded the thought of spending two hours on the phone with someone who I couldn't understand.

Nope. Like a dummy, I put it off. Honestly, I dreaded the thought of spending two hours on the phone with someone who I couldn't understand.

What specific XPS model is it?

What specific XPS model is it?

Studio XPS Laptop 1645
Windows 7
x64- based PC
Intel Core i7 CPU

Forum List

Back