A federal Judge Just Ruled Against Over 100 Houston Hospital Workers Who Will Be Fired If They Don't Get The COVID-19 Vaccine

Oooooo. The down side of the Republican “right to work” laws. How you guys like it now?
Right to work laws are about forcing people to pay money to unions.

The vaccination doesn't cost anything
It reduced the power of the employee. Employers can pretty much make you do anything. That’s the rub. Less money and employees are a corporate bitch was the result.
Correct.

‘Right to work’ laws ensure that employees have a right to low wages, a right to poor working conditions, a right to no retirement, a right to no access to affordable healthcare, and a right to layoffs and job losses for any capricious, unwarranted reason or reasons.

‘Right to work’ laws are the epitome of conservatives’ contempt for working Americans.
Funny how all kinds of non union shops provide all those things without employees being forced to pay union dues.
Seriously though, right to work states average salary is $6,000 below the remaining states. I can link it if you want but I read it a few days ago. There is an impact to the power imbalance. I bet with work from home gaining speed employees may get a little more power. I could be wrong.

It's just common sense to require hospital employees to be vaccinated.

Sorry that the unvaccinated are going to be fired, but they chose to work in one of those states where the politicians they supported fought very hard to pass and maintain these absurdly named "right-to-work" laws. They shouldn't go to the courts to complain. They should go to their state government.

Be careful what you wish for.
Good point. Right to work state means businesses don't need a reason to fire someone.

But if the firing was for an illegal reason, you can still sue and win, even in right to work state.
Illegal reasons such as?

Seems to me that a bunch of people have completely ignored FEDERAL LAW here, which is supposed to preempt state law.
Post the federal law you think applies here.
HIPAA
ADA
Title VII 1964 Civil Rights Act
and more.

I would have thought these would have been better arguments than "NAZI'S".

The hospital isn't demanding anyone's medical records. Which is what HIPAA is about.

No employee is claiming to be disabled.

There are no civil rights being violated here. No one is forcing anyone to be vaccinated.

There is no more.

There are no federal laws that prevent a private employer from firing someone for not being vaccinated.

Even farther, the right to work laws pretty much give a private employer the right to fire someone for very little reason.

I think it's funny. These right wingers spent decades destroying worker's rights and have spent decades fighting against what little rights workers have left, yet now want to use the federal government laws which they hate to justify violating a private employer's rights.

The hypocrisy is just disgusting.

You have no idea what the leanings of those who brought the lawsuit are. It's a very small number. They could be of a Libertarian mindset.

Maybe they believe in a choice.

Maybe so. You could be right.

I believe in choice. I have no problem with people making the bad choice of not being vaccinated and will support their choice.

What I don't support is people making that bad choice then not accepting the consequences of their bad choice. If you're going to make that choice then you better be willing to accept the consequences of that choice.

The people who brought the suit are trying to not accept the consequences of their bad choice.

It is a distinct trend these days for someone to come along with some "belief" and expect no personal consequences for acting on it while also expecting that society will shoulder their burden, clean up the mess they leave behind them, and pay for the whole thing.

Thank you. I can't agree more.

I believe in choice.
But to what extent.

Obviously the law recognizes limits to freedom of choice concerning public safety, hence Judge Hughes’ ruling.

With regard to mandatory drug testing for employees both public and private, the courts have upheld such tests as being Constitutional.

Just because I believe it's their choice to get vaccinated doesn't mean I don't expect them to have to deal with the consequences of their very bad choice.

If they don't want to do the right thing and get vaccinated they better be prepared to lose their job.

Oooooo. The down side of the Republican “right to work” laws. How you guys like it now?

It reduced the power of the employee. Employers can pretty much make you do anything. That’s the rub. Less money and employees are a corporate bitch was the result.
Correct.

‘Right to work’ laws ensure that employees have a right to low wages, a right to poor working conditions, a right to no retirement, a right to no access to affordable healthcare, and a right to layoffs and job losses for any capricious, unwarranted reason or reasons.

‘Right to work’ laws are the epitome of conservatives’ contempt for working Americans.
Funny how all kinds of non union shops provide all those things without employees being forced to pay union dues.
Seriously though, right to work states average salary is $6,000 below the remaining states. I can link it if you want but I read it a few days ago. There is an impact to the power imbalance. I bet with work from home gaining speed employees may get a little more power. I could be wrong.
People who work from home are not as productive so IMO people who work from home should be paid less not more

Correct.

People who work from home are not as productive so IMO people who work from home should be paid less not more
Well. Clearly you wouldn’t know. Productivity is up with work from home. Employers who employ work from home flexibility will get the best employees because geography is obsolete. Competition for employees drives up wages. If I can do my job anywhere in America I’m more likely to leave for more. Barrier to entry is eliminated.

Correct.

Well. Clearly you wouldn’t know. Productivity is up with work from home. Employers who employ work from home flexibility will get the best employees because geography is obsolete. Competition for employees drives up wages. If I can do my job anywhere in America I’m more likely to leave for more. Barrier to entry is eliminated.
Bull.

People left to their own devices just don't work as hard as when the boss is there.

Correct.

Bull.

People left to their own devices just don't work as hard as when the boss is there.
Geez. What year is it where you are? Productivity for companies that matter doesn’t need an eye. I know how much work my team outputs based on their actual output. I don’t care if they did it 5-2 or 8-5 or 8-8.

Correct.

Bull.

Geez. What year is it where you are? Productivity for companies that matter doesn’t need an eye. I know how much work my team outputs based on their actual output. I don’t care if they did it 5-2 or 8-5 or 8-8.

Tell that to a person who is waiting for their house to be built.

When the GC isn't on site the crew just doesn't work as hard.

Correct.

Bull.

Work from home doesn’t affect house building. Just admit you aren’t familiar with the type of work people are doing from home vs the office. It’s ok to not know everything. Trust me. I can monitor output no matter where my team works from.

Correct.

Bull.

Work from home doesn’t affect house building. Just admit you aren’t familiar with the type of work people are doing from home vs the office. It’s ok to not know everything. Trust me. I can monitor output no matter where my team works from.
Yeah whatever.

People are people and human nature is human nature.

Most people will slack off whenever they get the chance

I support the employee's right to not have the vaccine.
Sure. Absolutely.

But why the fuck are they working at a fucking hospital then, if they aren't peddling the industry's magic cure of the day?

Like I'd keep my job at a liquor store if I refused to sell liquor to anyone.

Correct.

Bull.

Yeah whatever.

People are people and human nature is human nature.

Most people will slack off whenever they get the chance
Then I will fire you.

Forum List

Back