A federal Judge Just Ruled Against Over 100 Houston Hospital Workers Who Will Be Fired If They Don't Get The COVID-19 Vaccine

It's just common sense to require hospital employees to be vaccinated.

Sorry that the unvaccinated are going to be fired, but they chose to work in one of those states where the politicians they supported fought very hard to pass and maintain these absurdly named "right-to-work" laws. They shouldn't go to the courts to complain. They should go to their state government.

Be careful what you wish for.

Exactly.

The conservatives in Texas have gutted employee rights and are proud of it.

Now, it's coming back to bite them in the butt.
And now we also see the hypocrisy of the right – conservatives must support ‘right to work’ where in fact employees have no rights and can be fired for refusing to be vaccinated; rightists can’t have it both ways.
Employers can set their own requirements for employment.

Why do you have a problem with that?

It's Ok to force people to join unions but not Ok to require a vaccination?
This has always been among the more idiotic and reprehensible aspects of conservative dogma: the ridiculous, wrongheaded notion that an employee unhappy with his current employer can just quit, walk across the street, and be hired at the same job for the same pay with better working conditions.
I've never said that

and anyone can quit their job any time they want if they don't like the employer's rules IDGAF if that person can find a job with the same or better pay. If it's that fucking horrible to work at a place then they should be glad they can quit whenever they fucking want.

Like I said you have no problem with forcing people to join unions and be forced to pay dues but you're making a big fucking deal over a shot.

The judge should be held liable if they received any kinds of damages from these vaccines. . This vaccine do have nanotechnology in them. And it is a foreign element to the body and which the body is going to attack these man-made particles. It's going to treat these particles like they would do to a virus. Creating clots throughout the body.

The judge should be held liable if they received any kinds of damages from these vaccines. . This vaccine do have nanotechnology in them. And it is a foreign element to the body and which the body is going to attack these man-made particles. It's going to treat these particles like they would do to a virus. Creating clots throughout the body.

They can choose not to get any vaccines and they can find a new job.

Oooooo. The down side of the Republican “right to work” laws. How you guys like it now?
Right to work laws are about forcing people to pay money to unions.

The vaccination doesn't cost anything
It reduced the power of the employee. Employers can pretty much make you do anything. That’s the rub. Less money and employees are a corporate bitch was the result.

Oooooo. The down side of the Republican “right to work” laws. How you guys like it now?

It reduced the power of the employee. Employers can pretty much make you do anything. That’s the rub. Less money and employees are a corporate bitch was the result.

As it should be.

If you don't like the requirements of your employer then quit and get another job.

No employer is obligated to employ you.

No one is noting that Texas is a "right to work" state. An employer can fire an employer for any reason they want to. Agree or disagree with the vaccine if you support "right to work" you have no legal standing to be against what the hospital is doing.

Seems to me that the employee's lose or the entire idea of "right to work" gets tossed.

I sure did.

I put it in my OP.

Yes, sorry, I was speaking of the discussion that followed.

Oh ok.

Yep. And they’ll find work elsewhere easily.

Not in health care without a shot.

When medical personnel don't want to get vaccinated perhaps what we should be asking is what is it that THEY know that we aren't being told? Just saying...

That crazy anti-vaxxers exist in every line of work? Um. Yeah.

Are we talking about Doctors or people who change the bedpans here?
Yeah, who would need healthcare workers these days?
Vax averse healthcare "professionals" should be replaced as a healthcare precaution. Isn't there any lab work the anti-vaxers can help out with?

Wrong.
This is not an FDA approved vaccine, and the 2nd Moderna shot I had made me sick for a whole week.
I still feel weak and have a headache from it.
About the worst illness I ever had.
And no one needs immunity to a bat illness that can't come back.
That is not how it works. And, I have had both vaccines from Pfizer and still feel ok. And, if a weakened version of the pathogen got to you just imagine what the pathogen in the "wild" could have done if it had got to you first.

Correct.

‘Right to work’ laws ensure that employees have a right to low wages, a right to poor working conditions, a right to no retirement, a right to no access to affordable healthcare, and a right to layoffs and job losses for any capricious, unwarranted reason or reasons.

‘Right to work’ laws are the epitome of conservatives’ contempt for working Americans.

Correct.

‘Right to work’ laws ensure that employees have a right to low wages, a right to poor working conditions, a right to no retirement, a right to no access to affordable healthcare, and a right to layoffs and job losses for any capricious, unwarranted reason or reasons.

‘Right to work’ laws are the epitome of conservatives’ contempt for working Americans.
Funny how all kinds of non union shops provide all those things without employees being forced to pay union dues.

Seems to me that a bunch of people have completely ignored FEDERAL LAW here, which is supposed to preempt state law.
Post the federal law you think applies here.
HIPAA
ADA
Title VII 1964 Civil Rights Act
and more.

I would have thought these would have been better arguments than "NAZI'S".

The hospital isn't demanding anyone's medical records. Which is what HIPAA is about.

No employee is claiming to be disabled.

There are no civil rights being violated here. No one is forcing anyone to be vaccinated.

There is no more.

There are no federal laws that prevent a private employer from firing someone for not being vaccinated.

Even farther, the right to work laws pretty much give a private employer the right to fire someone for very little reason.

I think it's funny. These right wingers spent decades destroying worker's rights and have spent decades fighting against what little rights workers have left, yet now want to use the federal government laws which they hate to justify violating a private employer's rights.

The hypocrisy is just disgusting.

I support the employee's right to not have the vaccine.

However Texas is a "right to work" state so an employer can fire someone for just about any reason in that state leaving the employee with nearly no recourse.

The judge ruled against the employees. I knew the judge would. I do agree with the judge on how absurd it is to compare the vaccine mandate by the employer to the holocaust and the experiments on innocent jewish people. Using that comparison is ridiculous.

They plan to appeal so it's not over.

And a damn good thing. If you want to work in the healthcare field, you need to be vaccinated. Infectious diseases spread easily in hospitals. Unfortunately, whether by nature or by the will of God, we are social beings. We live and work with other people. You don't get to impress your personal choices on other people. "No man is an island, entire of itself;" is how the quote goes. If you work from home, great. Don't get vaccinated.

You may feel you are an individual, wholly separate and apart from other people, but you really aren't. It is just the reality of it. Complete and independent freedom is our aspiration, an illusion. It isn't a real thing, not in the entire history of mankind has

They may appeal it but it is over.

And yet you DID make the comparison to the Holocaust. How you "feel" about the comparison doesn't change the fact that you made it. Your trolling rhetoric not withstanding, Dana. Surely you didn't mean to act like a troll, but there it is again, the difference between how you feel and what is a fact.

Notice that it is properly capitalized as the "Holocaust". It isn't, the "holocaust", it isn't just any run of the mill holocaust. It is the Holocaust, or THE HOLOCAUST. Using a lower case "h" devalues the significance of the event.

Thank you for presenting such a good example of the subtle use rhetorical devices. I realize that you didn't mean to use such rhetorical devices. But you did. What you meant to do doesn't change the fact of doing it. This is such a common error.

Oh, and I hear that Dana children. I don't know that it's true but you never really know people for certain, do you?

I don't know where you got the half of that but I agree, no one is an island unto themselves.

I'm pro vaccine but also pro choice. I don't pick and choose what is choice.

I was fully vaccinated in March. I come from a family that half works in the medical industry and the other engineers so I grew up with science and believe in science.

As for not capitalizing the word holocaust, get a grip.

I'm Armenian. I grew up being told about what the ottoman empire did to the Armenian people and my family. I was told by those who experienced it. My dad was the only person on this planet to continue my last name so my mom had to keep having children until a son was born only because of what the ottoman empire did to my dad's family leaving only one male alive.

So don't give me any garbage about not capitalizing a word.

Get a grip.

Seems to me that a bunch of people have completely ignored FEDERAL LAW here, which is supposed to preempt state law.
HIPAA
ADA
and more.

The hospital isn't demanding anyone's medical records. Which is what HIPAA is about.

There are no civil rights being violated here. No one is forcing anyone to be vaccinated.

There is no more.

There are no federal laws that prevent a private employer from firing someone for not being vaccinated.

Even farther, the right to work laws pretty much give a private employer the right to fire someone for very little reason.

I think it's funny. These right wingers spent decades destroying worker's rights and have spent decades fighting against what little rights workers have left, yet now want to use the federal government laws which they hate to justify violating a private employer's rights.

You have no idea what the leanings of those who brought the lawsuit are. It's a very small number. They could be of a Libertarian mindset.

Maybe they believe in a choice.

Notice that government is to spineless to mandate vaccines because it is still approved as only experimental-emergency
the do not mandate the vaccine for the military or the CDC or even Congress, The Feds are leaving it up to private corporations to do the mandating.

However Texas is a "right to work" state so an employer can fire someone for just about any reason in that state leaving the employee with nearly no recourse.

The judge ruled against the employees. I knew the judge would. I do agree with the judge on how absurd it is to compare the vaccine mandate by the employer to the holocaust and the experiments on innocent jewish people. Using that comparison is ridiculous.

I've got mixed feelings about this.

Usually, I'm for personal freedom, but this is a case where it should be required. These people work in a hospital, around vulnerable populations.
The problem is that employees’ unwarranted refusal to be vaccinated is predicated on ignorance, stupidity, and belief in lies and conspiracy theories rather than facts and the truth.

If people want to not get vaccinated that's their choice.

Let natural selection do it's job.

I'm torn. I believe in someone's right to get a shot or not (stupid tho), but also, a business has requirements that must be met to continue employment there.

The business has every right to require their employees be vaccinated.

The employees have every right to not be vaccinated.

The problem is that those who don't want to be vaccinated don't want to take any responsibility for their very bad choice.

If they don't want to be vaccinated then they better expect to lose their job and not whine about it.

HIPAA
ADA
and more.

There is no more.

You have no idea what the leanings of those who brought the lawsuit are. It's a very small number. They could be of a Libertarian mindset.

Maybe so. You could be right.

I believe in choice. I have no problem with people making the bad choice of not being vaccinated and will support their choice.

What I don't support is people making that bad choice then not accepting the consequences of their bad choice. If you're going to make that choice then you better be willing to accept the consequences of that choice.

The people who brought the suit are trying to not accept the consequences of their bad choice.

HIPAA
ADA
and more.

There is no more.

Maybe so. You could be right.

I believe in choice. I have no problem with people making the bad choice of not being vaccinated and will support their choice.

What I don't support is people making that bad choice then not accepting the consequences of their bad choice. If you're going to make that choice then you better be willing to accept the consequences of that choice.

The people who brought the suit are trying to not accept the consequences of their bad choice.

It is a distinct trend these days for someone to come along with some "belief" and expect no personal consequences for acting on it while also expecting that society will shoulder their burden, clean up the mess they leave behind them, and pay for the whole thing.

Forum List

Back