A federal Judge Just Ruled Against Over 100 Houston Hospital Workers Who Will Be Fired If They Don't Get The COVID-19 Vaccine

It's just common sense to require hospital employees to be vaccinated.

Sorry that the unvaccinated are going to be fired, but they chose to work in one of those states where the politicians they supported fought very hard to pass and maintain these absurdly named "right-to-work" laws. They shouldn't go to the courts to complain. They should go to their state government.

Be careful what you wish for.

Exactly.

The conservatives in Texas have gutted employee rights and are proud of it.

Now, it's coming back to bite them in the butt.
And now we also see the hypocrisy of the right – conservatives must support ‘right to work’ where in fact employees have no rights and can be fired for refusing to be vaccinated; rightists can’t have it both ways.

Sorry that the unvaccinated are going to be fired, but they chose to work in one of those states where the politicians they supported fought very hard to pass and maintain these absurdly named "right-to-work" laws. They shouldn't go to the courts to complain. They should go to their state government.

Good point. Right to work state means businesses don't need a reason to fire someone.

Exactly.

And now we also see the hypocrisy of the right – conservatives must support ‘right to work’ where in fact employees have no rights and can be fired for refusing to be vaccinated; rightists can’t have it both ways.
Employers can set their own requirements for employment.

Why do you have a problem with that?

It's Ok to force people to join unions but not Ok to require a vaccination?

I support the employee's right to not have the vaccine.

However Texas is a "right to work" state so an employer can fire someone for just about any reason in that state leaving the employee with nearly no recourse.

The judge ruled against the employees. I knew the judge would. I do agree with the judge on how absurd it is to compare the vaccine mandate by the employer to the holocaust and the experiments on innocent jewish people. Using that comparison is ridiculous.

They plan to appeal so it's not over.

I'm torn. I believe in someone's right to get a shot or not (stupid tho), but also, a business has requirements that must be met to continue employment there.
The problem is that being vaccinated is an ‘issue’ at all – it isn’t and it shouldn’t be.

Exactly.

They always try to have it both ways...........whining all the way.

However Texas is a "right to work" state so an employer can fire someone for just about any reason in that state leaving the employee with nearly no recourse.

The judge ruled against the employees. I knew the judge would. I do agree with the judge on how absurd it is to compare the vaccine mandate by the employer to the holocaust and the experiments on innocent jewish people. Using that comparison is ridiculous.

I'm torn. I believe in someone's right to get a shot or not (stupid tho), but also, a business has requirements that must be met to continue employment there.
The problem is that being vaccinated is an ‘issue’ at all – it isn’t and it shouldn’t be.
Imagine the same moaning and groaning and victimization happening when the polio vaccine came out?

Exactly.

Employers can set their own requirements for employment.

Why do you have a problem with that?

It's Ok to force people to join unions but not Ok to require a vaccination?
This has always been among the more idiotic and reprehensible aspects of conservative dogma: the ridiculous, wrongheaded notion that an employee unhappy with his current employer can just quit, walk across the street, and be hired at the same job for the same pay with better working conditions.

Imagine the same moaning and groaning and victimization happening when the polio vaccine came out?
I’ve often thought the same thing.

Or imagine having today’s ‘conservatives’ around during WWII – whining about gas rationing being ‘fascism’ and Victory Gardens ‘communism.’

This is probably a situation where management should have set the example and taken their turn first for the new vaccine.
Maybe they did.

This is probably a situation where management should have set the example and taken their turn first for the new vaccine.
Maybe they did.
Why are the rank and file hesitating when their leaders were brave?

Yep. And they’ll find work elsewhere easily.

Not in health care without a shot.

When medical personnel don't want to get vaccinated perhaps what we should be asking is what is it that THEY know that we aren't being told? Just saying...

That crazy anti-vaxxers exist in every line of work? Um. Yeah.

Are we talking about Doctors or people who change the bedpans here?

When medical personnel don't want to get vaccinated perhaps what we should be asking is what is it that THEY know that we aren't being told? Just saying...

Yeah, who would need healthcare workers these days?

How is it that you know they supported the politicians that supported "right to work"? I didn't read that in the article.
"They" specifically? We have no idea.

"They" the people of Texas? They elected them.

No, not all Texans' did.

I did overstate in saying that these individuals who are about to be fired necessarily supported the politicians who currently run the state and have been for quite some time. I made the same mistake that these Texas politicians make when people like abbott portray their views on various issues as those of "The people of Texas" with no acknowledgment that a sizable portion of Texans do not agree with them. I can't ascertaine how many of these politicians owe their offices to the heavy gerrymandering that Texas is known for.

That said, it is up to the Texas politicians to deal with the consequences of the right-to-work law and defend it.

Absolutely. That's easy for them though because it was done for those who pay their way to the Capitol.

No one is noting that Texas is a "right to work" state. An employer can fire an employer for any reason they want to. Agree or disagree with the vaccine if you support "right to work" you have no legal standing to be against what the hospital is doing.

Seems to me that the employee's lose or the entire idea of "right to work" gets tossed.
Not accurate hun...you can't fire someone based on religion, sexual orientation, disability etc. The vaccine isn't a vaccine----but it may be against many religion and the vaccine has already been shown to make people sick and kill them. Even in texas, you can't require your employees to make themselves sick or kill themselves for a job.

The court ruled otherwise.

Vax averse healthcare "professionals" should be replaced as a healthcare precaution. Isn't there any lab work the anti-vaxers can help out with?

Good point. Right to work state means businesses don't need a reason to fire someone.

But if the firing was for an illegal reason, you can still sue and win, even in right to work state.

So, the hospital goes without 100 employees and now those remaining are unable to keep up with the demands of the patients and they start dying at a higher rate than the risk of catching COVID.

People in the hospital are usually there for serious, life-threatening illnesses or accidents. The disruption of their care is far........ more fatal than a virus that can be survived at the rate of 99.5%.

As an employer in a 'right to work state, they do have the right to fire employees who do not acquiesce to their unfounded fear-mongering. However, it should be widely known and published all through the area that the Hospital put the lives of their patients in serious risk for a political issue.

There are a ton of negative aspect to "right to work" but......................

Debt to Society - Mr. Fish
There are a ton of negative aspects to just breathing, but.....................

Vax averse healthcare "professionals" should be replaced as a healthcare precaution. Isn't there any lab work the anti-vaxers can help out with?

Wrong.
This is not an FDA approved vaccine, and the 2nd Moderna shot I had made me sick for a whole week.
I still feel weak and have a headache from it.
About the worst illness I ever had.
And no one needs immunity to a bat illness that can't come back.

Vaccines are not an issue. Experimental drugs rushed through for political purposes is. However, you are consistently wrong on everything, so why should this be any different.

Forum List

Back