A federal Judge Just Ruled Against Over 100 Houston Hospital Workers Who Will Be Fired If They Don't Get The COVID-19 Vaccine

Seems to me that a bunch of people have completely ignored FEDERAL LAW here, which is supposed to preempt state law.
Post the federal law you think applies here.
HIPAA
ADA
Title VII 1964 Civil Rights Act
and more.

I would have thought these would have been better arguments than "NAZI'S".
If we're really going to be a full-blown right-to-work state, those federal laws should never apply and racists can fire negroes and homos at will.

So, why can't it apply to people with religious or conscience objections or for those who are susceptible to a vax reaction?

Or do we only care about fags and darkies?

The article notes that the hospital was making exemptions for religious objections.

I support the employee's right to not have the vaccine.

However Texas is a "right to work" state so an employer can fire someone for just about any reason in that state leaving the employee with nearly no recourse.

The judge ruled against the employees. I knew the judge would. I do agree with the judge on how absurd it is to compare the vaccine mandate by the employer to the holocaust and the experiments on innocent jewish people. Using that comparison is ridiculous.

They plan to appeal so it's not over.

And a damn good thing. If you want to work in the healthcare field, you need to be vaccinated. Infectious diseases spread easily in hospitals. Unfortunately, whether by nature or by the will of God, we are social beings. We live and work with other people. You don't get to impress your personal choices on other people. "No man is an island, entire of itself;" is how the quote goes. If you work from home, great. Don't get vaccinated.

You may feel you are an individual, wholly separate and apart from other people, but you really aren't. It is just the reality of it. Complete and independent freedom is our aspiration, an illusion. It isn't a real thing, not in the entire history of mankind has

They may appeal it but it is over.

And yet you DID make the comparison to the Holocaust. How you "feel" about the comparison doesn't change the fact that you made it. Your trolling rhetoric not withstanding, Dana. Surely you didn't mean to act like a troll, but there it is again, the difference between how you feel and what is a fact.

Notice that it is properly capitalized as the "Holocaust". It isn't, the "holocaust", it isn't just any run of the mill holocaust. It is the Holocaust, or THE HOLOCAUST. Using a lower case "h" devalues the significance of the event.

Thank you for presenting such a good example of the subtle use rhetorical devices. I realize that you didn't mean to use such rhetorical devices. But you did. What you meant to do doesn't change the fact of doing it. This is such a common error.

Oh, and I hear that Dana children. I don't know that it's true but you never really know people for certain, do you?

Seems to me that a bunch of people have completely ignored FEDERAL LAW here, which is supposed to preempt state law.
HIPAA
ADA
and more.
HIPAA has nothing to do with it. You are allowed to ask people relevant health questions for employment.

ADA has nothing to do with it. People aren’t being discriminated against because of health conditions if they just don’t want to get a vaccine

Title VII doesn’t cover vaccination status.

HIPAA
ADA
and more.

If we're really going to be a full-blown right-to-work state, those federal laws should never apply and racists can fire negroes and homos at will.

So, why can't it apply to people with religious or conscience objections or for those who are susceptible to a vax reaction?

The article notes that the hospital was making exemptions for religious objections.
As they should. Also for people with conditions preventing them from getting the vaccine.

HIPAA
ADA
and more.

As they should. Also for people with conditions preventing them from getting the vaccine.

It noted they were making exemptions for medical issues also and gave the example of pregnancy.

If any of you think this is anything new, I have always been required to get an influenza vaccine otherwise I’d have been put on leave or had hospital privileges revoked.

It's just common sense to require hospital employees to be vaccinated.

Sorry that the unvaccinated are going to be fired, but they chose to work in one of those states where the politicians they supported fought very hard to pass and maintain these absurdly named "right-to-work" laws. They shouldn't go to the courts to complain. They should go to their state government.

Be careful what you wish for.

How is it that you know they supported the politicians that supported "right to work"? I didn't read that in the article.
"They" specifically? We have no idea.

"They" the people of Texas? They elected them.

No, not all Texans' did.

I did overstate in saying that these individuals who are about to be fired necessarily supported the politicians who currently run the state and have been for quite some time. I made the same mistake that these Texas politicians make when people like abbott portray their views on various issues as those of "The people of Texas" with no acknowledgment that a sizable portion of Texans do not agree with them. I can't ascertaine how many of these politicians owe their offices to the heavy gerrymandering that Texas is known for.

That said, it is up to the Texas politicians to deal with the consequences of the right-to-work law and defend it.

No one is noting that Texas is a "right to work" state. An employer can fire an employer for any reason they want to. Agree or disagree with the vaccine if you support "right to work" you have no legal standing to be against what the hospital is doing.

Seems to me that the employee's lose or the entire idea of "right to work" gets tossed.
Not accurate hun...you can't fire someone based on religion, sexual orientation, disability etc. The vaccine isn't a vaccine----but it may be against many religion and the vaccine has already been shown to make people sick and kill them. Even in texas, you can't require your employees to make themselves sick or kill themselves for a job.

If any of you think this is anything new, I have always been required to get an influenza vaccine otherwise I’d have been put on leave or had hospital privileges revoked.
influenza vaccine is not a test drug that isnt fully tested and has already shown to kill people.

However Texas is a "right to work" state so an employer can fire someone for just about any reason in that state leaving the employee with nearly no recourse.

The judge ruled against the employees. I knew the judge would. I do agree with the judge on how absurd it is to compare the vaccine mandate by the employer to the holocaust and the experiments on innocent jewish people. Using that comparison is ridiculous.

Blind squirrel finds the acorn....Film at 11.
But conservatives are great advocates of private property and employers’ rights – if employees don’t like an employer’s policies, they can find work elsewhere. That’s why conservatives support ‘right to work’ laws.

Such is the right’s hypocrisy.

I've got mixed feelings about this.

Usually, I'm for personal freedom, but this is a case where it should be required. These people work in a hospital, around vulnerable populations.
The problem is that employees’ unwarranted refusal to be vaccinated is predicated on ignorance, stupidity, and belief in lies and conspiracy theories rather than facts and the truth.

I'm torn. I believe in someone's right to get a shot or not (stupid tho), but also, a business has requirements that must be met to continue employment there.

Blind squirrel finds the acorn....Film at 11.
But conservatives are great advocates of private property and employers’ rights – if employees don’t like an employer’s policies, they can find work elsewhere. That’s why conservatives support ‘right to work’ laws.

Such is the right’s hypocrisy.
Piss up a rope, drive-by asshole.

it's not a vaccine

~S~
It’s a Russian plot to contaminate our precious bodily fluids.
I see what you did there....
1623601502977.png

An employer has a right to require that his employees get a vaccine. If people don't want to get one then they are free to get a job at a place that doesn't require vaccination.
At least this conservative is consistent in his contempt for working Americans – wrong, but consistent.
So you don't think employers should be able to set their own rules for employment? And who says I'm a conservative?

New Topics

Forum List

Back