A Dem Who Gets It

red states rule

May 30, 2006
While I disagree with him on many issues, Sen Joe Liebermen is one of the few Dems who userstand what is going on in Iraq - and why the US must win this fight

Here is an article Sen Lieberman wrote after his latest trip to Iraq

snip...............

Facts on the ground also compel us to recognize that Iran is doing everything in its power to drive us out of Iraq, including providing substantive support, training and sophisticated explosive devices to insurgents who are murdering American soldiers. Iran has initiated a deadly military confrontation with us, from bases in Iran, which we ignore at our peril, and at the peril of our allies throughout the Middle East.
The precipitous withdrawal of U.S. forces would not only throw open large parts of Iraq to domination by the radical regime in Tehran, it would also send an unmistakable message to the entire Middle East--from Lebanon to Gaza to the Persian Gulf where Iranian agents are threatening our allies--that Iran is ascendant there, and America is in retreat. One Arab leader told me during my trip that he is extremely concerned about Tehran's nuclear ambitions, but that he doubted America's staying power in the region and our political will to protect his country from Iranian retaliation over the long term. Abandoning Iraq now would substantiate precisely these gathering fears across the Middle East that the U.S. is becoming an unreliable ally.

That is why--as terrible as the continuing human cost of fighting this war in Iraq is--the human cost of losing it would be even greater.

Gen. Petraeus and other U.S. officials in Iraq emphasize that it is still too soon to draw hard judgments about the success of our new security strategy--but during my visit I saw hopeful signs of progress. Consider Anbar province, Iraq's heart of darkness for most of the past four years. When I last visited Anbar in December, the U.S. military would not allow me to visit the provincial capital, Ramadi, because it was too dangerous. Anbar was one of al Qaeda's major strongholds in Iraq and the region where the majority of American casualties were occurring. A few months earlier, the Marine Corps chief of intelligence in Iraq had written off the entire province as "lost," while the Iraq Study Group described the situation there as "deteriorating."

When I returned to Anbar on this trip, however, the security environment had undergone a dramatic reversal. Attacks on U.S. troops there have dropped from an average of 30 to 35 a day a few months ago to less than one a day now, according to Col. John Charlton, commander of the 1st Brigade of the 3rd Infantry Division, headquartered in Ramadi. Whereas six months ago only half of Ramadi's 23 tribes were cooperating with the coalition, all have now been persuaded to join an anti-al Qaeda alliance. One of Ramadi's leading sheikhs told me: "A rifle pointed at an American soldier is a rifle pointed at an Iraqi."

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110010212

another day, another ten cut and paste op-ed pieces from RSR.

newsflash: Joe is not a democrat. You were aware of that, weren't you?

another day, another ten cut and paste op-ed pieces from RSR.

newsflash: Joe is not a democrat. You were aware of that, weren't you?

and MM attacks an article being posted with the progress being made in Iraq

I know being a lib you hate Sen Lieberman for not putting his party ahead of his country

and MM attacks an article being posted with the progress being made in Iraq

I know being a lib you hate Sen Lieberman for not putting his party ahead of his country

I did not attack the article, only your incorrect assertion that Joe is a democrat.

I did not attack the article, only your incorrect assertion that Joe is a democrat.

Sen Lieberman smacked down the Moveon.org thugs, and gave the rabid anti war left a big shit burger to eat

He is still a Truman Dem - because he has a different view on Iraq he is attacked by other so called Democrats

I am not surprised you ignored his first hand accounts from the man you probably voted for in 2000 to be VP

Sen Lieberman smacked down the Moveon.org thugs, and gave the rabid anti war left a big shit burger to eat

He is still a Truman Dem - because he has a different view on Iraq he is attacked by other so called Democrats

I am not surprised you ignored his first hand accounts from the man you probably voted for in 2000 to be VP

no. he is not a democrat. he may THINK like a democrat on lots of things, but he is an Independent. There is an (I) after his name - and it is not there by mistake.

no. he is not a democrat. he may THINK like a democrat on lots of things, but he is an Independent. There is an (I) after his name - and it is not there by mistake.

The man who voted for him in 2000 is now tossing him under the bus :razz:

The man who voted for him in 2000 is now tossing him under the bus :razz:

I am not tossing him anywhere. He got off the democratic party bus all by himself. I have not made a single comment about the content of your op-ed piece. I only took issue with your calling him a democrat. By his own choice, he stopped being one.

I am not tossing him anywhere. He got off the democratic party bus all by himself. I have not made a single comment about the content of your op-ed piece. I only took issue with your calling him a democrat. By his own choice, he stopped being one.

Of course you did not comment about the article - why would you want to respond to GOOD news from Iraq

Swen Lieberman put his country ahead of his party - that is when he got off the Dem bus

Of course you did not comment about the article - why would you want to respond to GOOD news from Iraq

Swen Lieberman put his country ahead of his party - that is when he got off the Dem bus

I didn't reply to the piece because it is propaganda. He makes the claim

"When I returned to Anbar on this trip, however, the security environment had undergone a dramatic reversal. Attacks on U.S. troops there have dropped from an average of 30 to 35 a day a few months ago to less than one a day now, according to Col. John Charlton, commander of the 1st Brigade of the 3rd Infantry Division, headquartered in Ramadi."

...which looks at Anbar in a vacuum and does not take into consideration the news, as reported by the Pentagon earlier this week that the violence has not abated, just shifted away from the areas where we surged troops - exactly as I had predicted months ago. THe death toll for Americans remains high or higher than before the surge started and Iraqi casualties nationwide are on the increase.

And one minute you say that I threw him under the bus, and the next minute you claim that he got off the bus of his own accord. flipflopper

I didn't reply to the piece because it is propaganda. He makes the claim

"When I returned to Anbar on this trip, however, the security environment had undergone a dramatic reversal. Attacks on U.S. troops there have dropped from an average of 30 to 35 a day a few months ago to less than one a day now, according to Col. John Charlton, commander of the 1st Brigade of the 3rd Infantry Division, headquartered in Ramadi."

...which looks at Anbar in a vacuum and does not take into consideration the news, as reported by the Pentagon earlier this week that the violence has not abated, just shifted away from the areas where we surged troops - exactly as I had predicted months ago. THe death toll for Americans remains high or higher than before the surge started and Iraqi casualties nationwide are on the increase.

And one minute you say that I threw him under the bus, and the next minute you claim that he got off the bus of his own accord. flipflopper

No, you threw him UNDER the bus, along wth the rest of your party

You call any good news from Iraq propaganda. You are a loyal Dem who wants failure and defeat in Iraq - you think it benefits your party

To people like you, it is party first - country come in second

so who is right about casualties in Iraq? The senator from CT, or the Pentagon's war czar?

There are deaths in war - unlike you, I want the US to win this war

why do you avoid the question? I know that there are deaths in war. I asked you who was correct, Joe Lieberman in his op-ed piece or the Pentagon's report from earlier this week?

do you have an answer to that?

why do you avoid the question? I know that there are deaths in war. I asked you who was correct, Joe Lieberman in his op-ed piece or the Pentagon's report from earlier this week?

do you have an answer to that?

You have to find some way to ignore the good news form his first hand accounts

Good news from Iraq is bad news for MM and the Dems

While I disagree with him on many issues, Sen Joe Liebermen is one of the few Dems who userstand what is going on in Iraq - and why the US must win this fight

Here is an article Sen Lieberman wrote after his latest trip to Iraq

snip...............

Facts on the ground also compel us to recognize that Iran is doing everything in its power to drive us out of Iraq, including providing substantive support, training and sophisticated explosive devices to insurgents who are murdering American soldiers. Iran has initiated a deadly military confrontation with us, from bases in Iran, which we ignore at our peril, and at the peril of our allies throughout the Middle East.
The precipitous withdrawal of U.S. forces would not only throw open large parts of Iraq to domination by the radical regime in Tehran, it would also send an unmistakable message to the entire Middle East--from Lebanon to Gaza to the Persian Gulf where Iranian agents are threatening our allies--that Iran is ascendant there, and America is in retreat. One Arab leader told me during my trip that he is extremely concerned about Tehran's nuclear ambitions, but that he doubted America's staying power in the region and our political will to protect his country from Iranian retaliation over the long term. Abandoning Iraq now would substantiate precisely these gathering fears across the Middle East that the U.S. is becoming an unreliable ally.

That is why--as terrible as the continuing human cost of fighting this war in Iraq is--the human cost of losing it would be even greater.

Gen. Petraeus and other U.S. officials in Iraq emphasize that it is still too soon to draw hard judgments about the success of our new security strategy--but during my visit I saw hopeful signs of progress. Consider Anbar province, Iraq's heart of darkness for most of the past four years. When I last visited Anbar in December, the U.S. military would not allow me to visit the provincial capital, Ramadi, because it was too dangerous. Anbar was one of al Qaeda's major strongholds in Iraq and the region where the majority of American casualties were occurring. A few months earlier, the Marine Corps chief of intelligence in Iraq had written off the entire province as "lost," while the Iraq Study Group described the situation there as "deteriorating."

When I returned to Anbar on this trip, however, the security environment had undergone a dramatic reversal. Attacks on U.S. troops there have dropped from an average of 30 to 35 a day a few months ago to less than one a day now, according to Col. John Charlton, commander of the 1st Brigade of the 3rd Infantry Division, headquartered in Ramadi. Whereas six months ago only half of Ramadi's 23 tribes were cooperating with the coalition, all have now been persuaded to join an anti-al Qaeda alliance. One of Ramadi's leading sheikhs told me: "A rifle pointed at an American soldier is a rifle pointed at an Iraqi."

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110010212

I was told we have to post the authors name in any post we quote!

just answer the question.

who has the correct story from Iraq? Lieberman or the Pentagon?

You dio have a habot of asking questions that avoid the issue at hand

Joe Lieberman put his country ahead of his party - so anything he says cannot be taken seriously by any loyal Dem

Forum List

Back