A Copper Mine Could Advance Green Energy but Scar Sacred Land

Magnus

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2020
That mine could help address climate change by helping the United States replace fossil fuels and combustion engines with renewable energy and electric cars. But to Mr. Nosie, a former chairman of the San Carlos Apache Tribe, it’s the latest insult in a bitter history. The tribe considers the rolling hills and hidden canyons under which the copper lies — an area of Arizona called Oak Flat — to be a corridor to God inhabited by holy spirits. The tribe’s reservation is roughly 35 miles away.

The two mining giants behind the project, Rio Tinto and BHP, have plenty of experience with conflicts over the environment. But in this case, executives for the companies have argued that their project, known as Resolution, will benefit the environment by helping to increase the use of renewable energy and electric cars and reduce emissions of greenhouse gases. The companies have already spent more than $2 billion on exploratory work and to prepare for the project. They have the support of many local and state elected officials.

The battle over copper in southern Arizona highlights a growing dilemma for policymakers and investors eager to move from fossil fuels to clean energy. Making that switch will require new mines, sometimes in pristine and sacred lands, to extract a lot more copper, lithium and other metals. Extracting coal, oil and gas has significant environmental costs, too, but they often come from places, like Louisiana, New Mexico, Texas and Wyoming, with established mines and oil and gas fields and scant local opposition to those businesses.

At stake are the ambitious climate goals set by President Biden, who wants to reduce U.S. greenhouse gas emissions by 50 to 52 percent from 2005 levels by 2030 and effectively bring them to zero by 2050. To meet those targets, the country will need many more wind turbines, solar panels and electric vehicles — and all of those will require a lot more copper. An electric car, for example, has three times as much copper in it as a comparable gasoline powered vehicle.

The Resolution mine project was initially made possible nine years ago when Senator John McCain, an Arizona Republican, slipped a federal land swap in an appropriations bill that could eventually open the Oak Flat area to more copper mining.

“Would anyone destroy Mount Sinai to drill for oil?” asked Mr. Nosie, [a former chairman of the San Carlos Apache Tribe], who lives as a protest in two caves that will eventually be disturbed if the mine is built. He said he was ready to go to the Supreme Court to defend what he characterized as the Apache’s constitutional right to practice their religion.

That mine could help address climate change by helping the United States replace fossil fuels and combustion engines with renewable energy and electric cars. But to Mr. Nosie, a former chairman of the San Carlos Apache Tribe, it’s the latest insult in a bitter history. The tribe considers the rolling hills and hidden canyons under which the copper lies — an area of Arizona called Oak Flat — to be a corridor to God inhabited by holy spirits. The tribe’s reservation is roughly 35 miles away.

The two mining giants behind the project, Rio Tinto and BHP, have plenty of experience with conflicts over the environment. But in this case, executives for the companies have argued that their project, known as Resolution, will benefit the environment by helping to increase the use of renewable energy and electric cars and reduce emissions of greenhouse gases. The companies have already spent more than $2 billion on exploratory work and to prepare for the project. They have the support of many local and state elected officials.

The battle over copper in southern Arizona highlights a growing dilemma for policymakers and investors eager to move from fossil fuels to clean energy. Making that switch will require new mines, sometimes in pristine and sacred lands, to extract a lot more copper, lithium and other metals. Extracting coal, oil and gas has significant environmental costs, too, but they often come from places, like Louisiana, New Mexico, Texas and Wyoming, with established mines and oil and gas fields and scant local opposition to those businesses.

At stake are the ambitious climate goals set by President Biden, who wants to reduce U.S. greenhouse gas emissions by 50 to 52 percent from 2005 levels by 2030 and effectively bring them to zero by 2050. To meet those targets, the country will need many more wind turbines, solar panels and electric vehicles — and all of those will require a lot more copper. An electric car, for example, has three times as much copper in it as a comparable gasoline powered vehicle.

The Resolution mine project was initially made possible nine years ago when Senator John McCain, an Arizona Republican, slipped a federal land swap in an appropriations bill that could eventually open the Oak Flat area to more copper mining.

“Would anyone destroy Mount Sinai to drill for oil?” asked Mr. Nosie, [a former chairman of the San Carlos Apache Tribe], who lives as a protest in two caves that will eventually be disturbed if the mine is built. He said he was ready to go to the Supreme Court to defend what he characterized as the Apache’s constitutional right to practice their religion.

Even if we can do this.... world wide greenhouse gasses will go up because of China, India and others.
Limiting of the U.S. economy will then have meant nothing...except for enriching Biden's patrons who are heavily invested in renewable energy technology.
What is Biden's plan for limiting Chinese coal by 2030?

At stake are the ambitious climate goals set by President Biden, who wants to reduce U.S. greenhouse gas emissions by 50 to 52 percent from 2005 levels by 2030 and effectively bring them to zero by 2050.

Even if we can do this.... world wide greenhouse gasses will go up because of China, India and others.
Limiting of the U.S. economy will then have meant nothing...except for enriching Biden's patrons who are heavily invested in renewable energy technology.
What is Biden's plan for limiting Chinese coal by 2030?

At stake are the ambitious climate goals set by President Biden, who wants to reduce U.S. greenhouse gas emissions by 50 to 52 percent from 2005 levels by 2030 and effectively bring them to zero by 2050.
I will let you know when Biden becomes world emperor.

Worldwide, BHP #1 and Rio Tinto #2 together is huge. I bet they get their way. The Oak Flat mine would be an underground effort, as opposed to an open pit. Any mining definetely scars, but it serves the demand.
If not for open pit mining at the Moss Mine in Northwest AZ, my daughter and her BF would be living with me.

Human progress always comes at the expense of the environment ... and now there's four times as many of us raping the natural world ...

The only way this can be avoided is by reducing fossil fuel use and NOT replacing the energy ... go without ... live like stone-age cavemen ... woof woof woof ...

How about requiring that the land be restored to its original contours, wastewater be fully treated and that all tailings and wash ponds be properly dealt with after mining is complete?

Worldwide, BHP #1 and Rio Tinto #2 together is huge. I bet they get their way. The Oak Flat mine would be an underground effort, as opposed to an open pit. Any mining definetely scars, but it serves the demand.
If not for open pit mining at the Moss Mine in Northwest AZ, my daughter and her BF would be living with me.

How about requiring that the land be restored to its original contours, wastewater be fully treated and that all tailings and wash ponds be properly dealt with after mining is complete?
There's many sites in Oregon that still remain to be remediated ... once the valuable metal is removed, no one sticks around to put things back in order ... it's left to the tax-payers ...

Er ... umm ... same problem in Arizona ... or Colorado ... or where ever this God-forsaken place is ...

There's many sites in Oregon that still remain to be remediated ... once the valuable metal is removed, no one sticks around to put things back in order ... it's left to the tax-payers ...

Er ... umm ... same problem in Arizona ... or Colorado ... or where ever this God-forsaken place is ...
That's why you require bonds from the mining companies.

Forum List

Back