A Complete Psychological Analysis of Trump's Support

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
Its a long article but worth reading. It paints quite a bleak picture of the modern world and the way that people can be manipulated. I recognise many of these traits in the people I know who support brexit which shows that it is not a specifically American issue.

This one chimes with me a lot because I worked with several of these people on a project a few years back. People who have had success in some things believe that they are experts in all fields. You cant reach them because they are bomb proof.

7. The Dunning-Kruger Effect: Humans Often Overestimate Their Political Expertise

Some who support Donald Trump are under-informed or misinformed about the issues at hand. When Trump tells them that crime is skyrocketing in the United States, or that the economy is the worst it’s ever been, they simply take his word for it.

The Dunning-Kruger effect explains that the problem isn’t just that they are misinformed; it’s that they are completely unaware that they are misinformed, which creates a double burden.

Studies have shown that people who lack expertise in some area of knowledge often have a cognitive bias that prevents them from realizing that they lack expertise. As psychologist David Dunning puts it in an op-ed for Politico, “The knowledge and intelligence that are required to be good at a task are often the same qualities needed to recognize that one is not good at that task — and if one lacks such knowledge and intelligence, one remains ignorant that one is not good at the task. This includes political judgment.” These people cannot be reached because they mistakenly believe they are the ones who should be reaching others.

Its a long article but worth reading. It paints quite a bleak picture of the modern world and the way that people can be manipulated. I recognise many of these traits in the people I know who support brexit which shows that it is not a specifically American issue.

This one chimes with me a lot because I worked with several of these people on a project a few years back. People who have had success in some things believe that they are experts in all fields. You cant reach them because they are bomb proof.

7. The Dunning-Kruger Effect: Humans Often Overestimate Their Political Expertise

Some who support Donald Trump are under-informed or misinformed about the issues at hand. When Trump tells them that crime is skyrocketing in the United States, or that the economy is the worst it’s ever been, they simply take his word for it.

The Dunning-Kruger effect explains that the problem isn’t just that they are misinformed; it’s that they are completely unaware that they are misinformed, which creates a double burden.

Studies have shown that people who lack expertise in some area of knowledge often have a cognitive bias that prevents them from realizing that they lack expertise. As psychologist David Dunning puts it in an op-ed for Politico, “The knowledge and intelligence that are required to be good at a task are often the same qualities needed to recognize that one is not good at that task — and if one lacks such knowledge and intelligence, one remains ignorant that one is not good at the task. This includes political judgment.” These people cannot be reached because they mistakenly believe they are the ones who should be reaching others.

Something to which Pommy Commos have always been allergic....jobs...is what drove Americans to vote for now President Trump. The other rot is nonsense.

Greg

Tell us more about how humans can change sex upon whims and there is no difference between male and female...….

actually, it is a good read, especially point #8.

Trump's supporters remember a time when their grandparents could graduate High School, get a good job at the factory and provide for a family.

Today, kids graduate college with a mountain of debt.

This applies to both ends of the political spectrum, of course. The question is whether the infected individual naturally lacks the capacity to see outside of their ideology, or whether this blindness is the product of conditioning over time. My guess is the latter.

The same intellectual myopia manifests when the ideology-infected individual is unaware that they are indeed infected. Those stricken with a hardcore partisan ideology simply, literally don't see how similar their behaviors are compared to those they so loathe.

The Pathology of Partisanship
Partisanship is a toxin and a potent mind-altering drug
THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN COGNITIVE COMPLEXITY AND POLITICAL PARTISANSHIP
Tribal Psychology and Political Behavior - Econlib
The Sadness of Partisan Polarizing
The primeval tribalism of American politics
How Politics Breaks Our Brains, and How We Can Put Them Back Together - The Atlantic

This applies to both ends of the political spectrum, of course. The question is whether the infected individual naturally lacks the capacity to see outside of their ideology, or whether this blindness is the product of conditioning over time. My guess is the latter.

Ho-hum, the tiresome "Both sides are just as bad" argument.

"I know that Trump threw some kids into cages, and some of them died, but someone yelled at Sarah Sanders when she was having dinner."

"I know Trump called the Nazis good people at Charlotteville when one of them ran over a girl with a car, but they wouldn't let Ann Coulter speak at Berkeley."

Everything said here describes information-deprived liberals to a T. This is worse than wrong, it is crazy. I could hardly believe my eyes when I read the part that says >> "When Trump tells them that crime is skyrocketing in the United States, or that the economy is the worst it’s ever been,"

EARTH TO TT: Trump is constantly telling everyone that the economy is the BEST it's ever been. And he's right. The US economy is booming. Black unemployment is the lowest it's EVER been. Same with Hispanic unemployment. US median income is the highest its EVER been. More Americans working than EVER before.

Liberals who are attached to liberal, OMISSION, fake media have no idea how much they don't know. They are lost in the woods.

Ho-hum, the tiresome "Both sides are just as bad" argument.

"I know that Trump threw some kids into cages, and some of them died, but someone yelled at Sarah Sanders when she was having dinner."

"I know Trump called the Nazis good people at Charlotteville when one of them ran over a girl with a car, but they wouldn't let Ann Coulter speak at Berkeley."
Pathological liar.

The same intellectual myopia manifests when the ideology-infected individual is unaware that they are indeed infected. Those stricken with a hardcore partisan ideology simply, literally don't see how similar their behaviors are compared to those they so loathe.

How Politics Breaks Our Brains, and How We Can Put Them Back Together - The Atlantic
There is the phenomena of the "self made man" who has done well at his business and has supreme faith in his abiility to replicate that elsewhere. We see it every day in foot ball clubs in the UK. The successful local businessman takes on a club full of confidence and then makes a complete hash of it. His confidence and self belief prevents him from admitting that he is screwing up. With media and social media we tend to seek out brands that reinforce our beliefs and this builds into a relationship.
When Fox tells you that there are no go zones in Birmingham why wouldnt you believe them because they are right on everything else ?

There is the phenomena of the "self made man" who has done well at his business and has supreme faith in his abiility to replicate that elsewhere. We see it every day in foot ball clubs in the UK. The successful local businessman takes on a club full of confidence and then makes a complete hash of it. His confidence and self belief prevents him from admitting that he is screwing up. With media and social media we tend to seek out brands that reinforce our beliefs and this builds into a relationship.
When Fox tells you that there are no go zones in Birmingham why wouldnt you believe them because they are right on everything else ?
Such is the nature of being infected by a partisan ideology.

The afflicted exists in their own little intellectual vacuum, with their own tribe, open only to thoughts, "facts" and opinions that align with theirs.

This behavior feeds on itself so that the victim becomes intellectually paralyzed within the vacuum.

Last edited:

And when Salon tells you that Trump is an evil man, why wouldn't you believe them because they are right on everything else...….

Fox is about the only channel in the US that actually reports foreign news.

Clever. Start a bait thread in the CDZ to annihilate people you don't agree with and use an article whose position is that Hillary should have won or that the Democratic Party is the right party.

And when Salon tells you that Trump is an evil man, why wouldn't you believe them because they are right on everything else...….

Abortionists calling others "evil". That's rich.

The principle is the same. You can then reject differing views as fake news.

Clever. Start a bait thread in the CDZ to annihilate people you don't agree with and use an article whose position is that Hillary should have won or that the Democratic Party is the right party.

Hillary got 3 million more votes. That's why she should have won.

But the bigger problem is, why are so many Americans willing to embrace someone like Trump. The points in the article are good ones, but I think it can be a lot simpler.

White folks look at their declining fortunes, as the needs of the labor market change... They look at the good jobs their parents had at a factory with union representation.

And while they have no stomach to form a union and fight for more rights, learn the skills to keep their job set relevant, they do understand the profound cultural loss.

Trump (and for that matter, every Republican before him going back to Nixon) gives them someone to blame, the people who are not like them.

Or you could engage in the topic

That's the first thing I thought. Pick a place where abuse and bad language, and trolling are forbidden, to promulgate mendaciously your own personal agenda.

But is it really clever? Because already we are seeing through his little ruse.

New Topics

Forum List

Back