Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
by doing the right thing:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/070130/canada/canada_stoning_col_2

Quebec town to immigrants: you can't kill women

Tue Jan 30, 4:50 PM

By David Ljunggren

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Immigrants wishing to live in the small Canadian town of Herouxville, Quebec, must not stone women to death in public, burn them alive or throw acid on them, according to an extraordinary set of rules released by the local council.

The declaration, published on the town's Web site, has deepened tensions in the predominantly French-speaking province over how tolerant Quebecers should be toward the customs and traditions of immigrants.

"We wish to inform these new arrivals that the way of life which they abandoned when they left their countries of origin cannot be recreated here," said the declaration, which makes clear women are allowed to drive, vote, dance, write checks, dress how they want, work and own property.

"Therefore we consider it completely outside these norms to ... kill women by stoning them in public, burning them alive, burning them with acid, circumcising them etc." ...

and on que:

Salam Elmenyawi, president of the Muslim Council of Montreal, said the declaration had "set the clock back for decades" as far as race relations were concerned.

"I was shocked and insulted to see these kinds of false stereotypes and ignorance about Islam and our religion ... in a public document written by people in authority who discriminate openly," he told Reuters.

This town has a set of balls I say: You see the old saying when in Rome do as Romans anyone remember that one? What the hell happened in the west when these people from muslims nations started invading our lands and pushing there lifestyles on us! So this town stands up and says you'll act in accordance with our lifestyle ways. Good for them keep your home and community in check we could learn from those liberal Canadians for once!
I’m a immigrant from Ireland and even though I was young when we came to the US, our family always followed the rules in every community we lived in, it is just the rules back then and we as a Nation should stop being or hiding behind political correctness and offend these immigrants and make our stand that this is our country and you live by our rules. If you don’t like it then leave!
And if they are offended has anyone ever thought we are offended by there actions and ill natures they do?

I guess that logic assumes, Toronto could post notice to all US visitors:
"We do not allow child molestation, infanticide, rape, or the pouring of toxic waste into our waters. SO stay out of Canada if you want to bring that shit up here."

No one could get offended at that, could they?
Only because there are SOME Americans who have done, and will do those nasty things - not all Americans do.

"We do not allow child molestation, infanticide, rape, or the pouring of toxic waste into our waters. SO stay out of Canada if you want to bring that shit up here."

Only because there are SOME Americans who have done, and will do those nasty things - not all Americans do.

Bad analogy, our laws don't allow such things. Islamic law on the other hand does allow for the things that were mentioned.
Or are you actually going to tell us that places like Saudi Arabia don't allow such things?

I can't understand why some people bring up things that arent really on the same level. Point being this story was about muslims and religious beliefs being forced on a community. Again I using a once well known theory of acting in foreign lands:
When in Rome do as the Romans

Point being this story was about muslims and religious beliefs being forced on a community. Again I using a once well known theory of acting in foreign lands:
When in Rome do as the Romans

No muslim beliefs were being forced on this town, they made a pre-emptive and unnecessary set of rules that apply to nobody in the town... using cultural stereotypes that DO take place in some countries, yes, but not things that are actually Islamic... do Muslims in Toronto do these things? Don't we have laws that already state those things are illegal?

And nobody arriving in North America, including the white man ever completely respected the original inhabitants way of life... keep in mind the Roman hypocrisy of going to foreign lands and acting like THEY were still in Rome.

Ancient history about the Indians, they truly got the bad end of the deal. Middle Eastern folk arriving here in the Northern Hemisphere should respect our country or get out! Need to take a trip to Detroit and get a birdseye view how things are going? I personally have no issue with there religious views as long as they keep it to themselves and don't try and change my homeland in the process. Have you ever been to Saudi Arabia? If not you need to make a trip and see again first hand at the way things are done over there. They may deserve to live in our parts but they must respect our land. If they can't it will result in very negative results and everyone will feel it.

No muslim beliefs were being forced on this town,

No, I believe your wrong, that was the reason for the action of the town fathers.

they made a pre-emptive and unnecessary set of rules that apply to nobody in the town...

It called closing the gate BEFORE the cows get out, and, if you know the rules, then you play by the rules, seems simple enough.

using cultural stereotypes that DO take place in some countries, yes, but not things that are actually Islamic...

I'm sure there is a point in this statement, it just escapes me.:confused:

do Muslims in Toronto do these things?

Yes, constantly.

Don't we have laws that already state those things are illegal?

Not sure, but they sure have them NOW, and they are crystal clear, wouldn't you agree?

And nobody arriving in North America, including the white man ever completely respected the original inhabitants way of life...

Now, THAT is a lame statement. Kinda follow the leader kind of thing. So if everybody has been committing suicide in the town, then it's OK for new comers to KEEP committing suicide?

Besides, pre-emptive would insure against someone NOT respecting your customs, and laws, wouldn't you agree?

keep in mind the Roman hypocrisy of going to foreign lands and acting like THEY were still in Rome.

Which is what the Muslim's do, which is wrong, and that was the reason for the city fathers to take the action they did.:eusa_think:

No, I believe your wrong, that was the reason for the action of the town fathers.

~As stated, there are no immigrants (except white euro) in the town, so reacting with rules for people who aren't even present is less about protection, more about sending a message.

It called closing the gate BEFORE the cows get out, and, if you know the rules, then you play by the rules, seems simple enough.

~Hahaha, closing the gate before you even GET any cows, is more like it.

I'm sure there is a point in this statement, it just escapes me.:confused:

Yes, constantly.

~ Toronto, the hotbed of acid throwing that it is, must keep such mundane, every-day occurrences out of the media...

Not sure, but they sure have them NOW, and they are crystal clear, wouldn't you agree?

~Assault is illegal in Canada. So yes. The laws exist.

Now, THAT is a lame statement. Kinda follow the leader kind of thing. So if everybody has been committing suicide in the town, then it's OK for new comers to KEEP committing suicide?

~NO. All it means is we have no right say suicide is wrong if we are also commiting it. Simple.

Besides, pre-emptive would insure against someone NOT respecting your customs, and laws, wouldn't you agree?

~ No I wouldn't. Every murderer in the U.S. was born AFTER it was against the law, no?

Which is what the Muslim's do, which is wrong, and that was the reason for the city fathers to take the action they did.:eusa_think:

~Okay - I didn't realise ALL Muslims did that, seems like an exhaustive research project, recording the actions of almost a billion people. Kudos, unless you were stereotyping...

Also, the cultural practices of honor killings, acid throwing, etc have moro to do with the COUNTRY, or REGION involved, than Islam... that is what I meant. Much like the culture of christian nations differs, so does that of muslim nations...

Ancient history about the Indians, they truly got the bad end of the deal. Middle Eastern folk arriving here in the Northern Hemisphere should respect our country or get out! Need to take a trip to Detroit and get a birdseye view how things are going? I personally have no issue with there religious views as long as they keep it to themselves and don't try and change my homeland in the process. Have you ever been to Saudi Arabia? If not you need to make a trip and see again first hand at the way things are done over there. They may deserve to live in our parts but they must respect our land. If they can't it will result in very negative results and everyone will feel it.

I agree Suadi Arabia (not exactly a true Islamic country) is horrible, human rights violations, and autocratic government make that place an example of rigid religion gone worse. ANy country that cares about human rights should distance themselves, or apply international presure on them to treat their citizens humanely. Same goes for a host of others too.

However, the make up of a country is dependent on those who live there, and as America's make up changes - so will America. That is only a bad thing if you believe your way is supreme, but maybe there is room for several interpretations of 'nation', as long as its democratic, things will hopefully work out.

I don't believe our way is the supreme way. I just don't agree we as a nation should be required to bend and contort to other lifestyes other than ours. It is wrong and should not be tolerated. Maybe too simple for some but if a line isn't drawn then what do we stand for?

Why do you see this as some war? Some clash of cultures, right now you live in a mix of different cultures and its great. Less xenophobia, and you might not view things as a line in the sand.

It is a war of sorts because we don't fully know who is about living with us or causing strife among us. This is way more than religious freedom here; their whole twisted life style has effects on us as a culture. I'm a immigrant from Ireland and I lived my life up to age nine in constant fear of the Brits and we lived in a IRA controlled neighborhood. The Brits would break our door down in the middle of the night and accuse us of being on the take, constant hassle and we are protestant too boot in a Catholic hood. So yeah I'm hip to understand following rules being part of the solution and keeping my cultural beliefs from hindering others whom are in the majority.

It is a war of sorts because we don't fully know who is about living with us or causing strife among us. This is way more than religious freedom here; their whole twisted life style has effects on us as a culture. I'm a immigrant from Ireland and I lived my life up to age nine in constant fear of the Brits and we lived in a IRA controlled neighborhood. The Brits would break our door down in the middle of the night and accuse us of being on the take, constant hassle and we are protestant too boot in a Catholic hood. So yeah I'm hip to understand following rules being part of the solution and keeping my cultural beliefs from hindering others whom are in the majority.

Not sure I understand, sounds like the British, were pretty heavy handed, and your family was in an oppressive situation. Why would you think it was your responsibility to fit in with that? ("I'm hip to understand following rules being part of the solution and keeping my cultural beliefs from hindering others whom are in the majority")

Why would you want to treat others that way after you lived it?

My point is I go with the flow and I worship the same God that my country American was initially founded under. I don't have a huge Cross in my yard, although I could because it is my freedom. But my point is about this town and these foreigners are they need to step up and denounce terror. Practice what they preach and all would be better. But it is totally obvious that all Middle Eastern people are spineless in this area and this is why many don't trust them and find them all guilty or being terror subjects. I'm honest and I know this to be somewhat true. If a KKK cross is burning in a Black persons yard, I'd stand up against it because it not only reflects fear if I don't but not all white folks are part of that very non-sense. That is my point and until muslims as a whole step up and denounce terror it isn't gonna change. And one other fact is we here in the US actually have accepted muslims even though we keep having some say that muslim beliefs are peaceful. Wasn't mohammad a warrior? Where is the peace in that?

My example maybe considered on the edge but it was the point of the situation I am making and a town or community has the right to speak up and against things they don't agree on. As the Middle Eastern folks call us infidel so we don't trust them same~same

But my point is about this town and these foreigners are they need to step up and denounce terror. Practice what they preach and all would be better.

But it is totally obvious that all Middle Eastern people are spineless in this area and this is why many don't trust them and find them all guilty or being terror subjects. I'm honest and I know this to be somewhat true.

If a KKK cross is burning in a Black persons yard, I'd stand up against it because it not only reflects fear if I don't but not all white folks are part of that very non-sense. That is my point and until muslims as a whole step up and denounce terror it isn't gonna change.

Wasn't mohammad a warrior? Where is the peace in that?

My example maybe considered on the edge but it was the point of the situation I am making and a town or community has the right to speak up and against things they don't agree on. As the Middle Eastern folks call us infidel so we don't trust them same~same

The trick is for the west to stop supporting terror - then maybe we would have a little credibility on denouncing violence, would we think muslims were peaceful if it was THEIR troops all over north america? for OUR protection and THEIR 'interests'? I think I'd react violently to any nation that bombs mine, no matter what that nation and their friends think is 'right'. Be careful - saying ALL muslims, is like saying all christians, or all jews... unless you've personally interviewed a billion people, it sounds far fetched (and prejudiced).

Muslims DO denounce terror though - all the time. Remember that massive car bomb in Lebabnon, timed to kill the most worshippers possible right when people were exiting the mosque? Scary civillian deaths, very terrifying... no news play here maybe, but denounced by muslims just the same...

The trick is for the west to stop supporting terror - then maybe we would have a little credibility on denouncing violence, would we think muslims were peaceful if it was THEIR troops all over north america? for OUR protection and THEIR 'interests'? I think I'd react violently to any nation that bombs mine, no matter what that nation and their friends think is 'right'. Be careful - saying ALL muslims, is like saying all christians, or all jews... unless you've personally interviewed a billion people, it sounds far fetched (and prejudiced).

Muslims DO denounce terror though - all the time. Remember that massive car bomb in Lebabnon, timed to kill the most worshippers possible right when people were exiting the mosque? Scary civillian deaths, very terrifying... no news play here maybe, but denounced by muslims just the same...

I have a person who denouces it openly like no other I've heard of.
http://www.americancongressfortruth.com/
First hand experience this woman has, she knows both sides all too well.

If she was born MUSLIM instead of Christian, and it was her refugee camp that was massacred by Christian militia during the first Lebanon/Israelie punch-up, she would still denounce terrorism I guess... but with very different points of view, maybe different 'enemies' too. She would be better to denounce the thing she hates, rather than only when 'others' do it.

I have a person who denouces it openly like no other I've heard of.
http://www.americancongressfortruth.com/
First hand experience this woman has, she knows both sides all too well.

We don't hear a whole lot about Muslims denouncing terror, only waving AKs and chanting in huge marches, in fact the Iraqi Democracy movement was something I only heard about after the latest invasion... even though they were around, begging for help to make Iraq more democratic for years. Where was the liberal media on that one...? If only they'd told Bush he had allies!

New Topics

Forum List

Back