Zone1 A Brief Look at Blacks and Jews in America

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is interesting...that actually sounds kind of like what the OP article said. Many blacks did open stores in their communities, but they were also subject to destruction if they were seen as too successful in many parts of the country. I can see where the thoughts of exploitation are rooted though.
The exploitation was real Coyote. It did not apply to every Jew, but it did happen.

"THAT" is a pronoun. Bank loans are made according to the likelihood
that they will be repaid
Lol! Assuming that all blacks won't repay loans and all whites will is racism.

nope-----RIGHT !!!!

what "exploitation"??? free floating "EXPLOITATION" ?
No rosie, you aren't right. Some Jews were slumlords and some Jewish merchants price gouged blacks.

LOL banks do not do "ALL BLACKS"---they look at credit ratings and income and stuff like that
Like I said, assuming that all blacks won't repay loans and all whites will is racism.

I never mocked poor black people. I said they were poor for the same reasons poor whites are.

And as far as your attitude toward Jews, you gave it away upthread when you complained how Jews exploited blacks.
I don't think very many posters mocked poor blacks people. I know I haven't. What I've pointed out is that poor blacks don't face anything that other poor groups haven't and for the most part risen above it. In my opinion black Americans are no less capable than all the other groups that have risen above prejudice to succeed. What I don't understand is how so many blacks aren't offended by people insisting that they aren't as capable as whites and other minorities. Maybe I'm weird, but someone telling me I'm incapable of something drives me to succeed at it.

No
Like I said, assuming that all blacks won't repay loans and all whites will is racism.
No one made that assumption. It never was easy for whites to get loans either. GMAC charged me an obscene interest rate for my first car loan because I had no credit history. Lenders were using statistics to estimate their risk and the statistics indicated that blacks meeting certain criteria were likely to fail to replay their loans. Lenders are very risk averse.

No

No one made that assumption. It never was easy for whites to get loans either. GMAC charged me an obscene interest rate for my first car loan because I had no credit history. Lenders were using statistics to estimate their risk and the statistics indicated that blacks meeting certain criteria were likely to fail to replay their loans. Lenders are very risk averse.
The loan denial rate for blacks is far higher and after WW2 the government guaranteed payment of loans against default and blacks were refused. This was one of the programs that created the white middle class that exists right now and it created the increased wealth whites live with today.

You can forget about running your excuses on me.

OP started this thread to justify antisemitism among blacks, which is much more prevalent than among whites.

The fact of the matter is that Jews were willing to hire blacks when others would not, were willing to rent to them when others were not, and were willing to DIE for them, and did, marching alongside them during Civil Riguts.
No actually I believe he started it because of your thread yesterday in which you repeated once again the false premise that black people living in poverty are there solely because of their poor choices in life.

Black Americans' Reaction to the Persecution of European Jews​

by Bat-Ami Zucker​

"The exploitation which the Negro suffers from the whites," wrote M. Rosenblatt, who investigated antisemitism in Harlem in 1939 for the Anti- Defamation League of B'nai B'rith, "he therefore experiences from the hands of Jews." Rosenblatt concluded, "the present antagonism grows out of the fact that whenever the Negro comes in contact with white discrimination he can find a Jew to blame." A confidential report on antisemitism in Harlem, prepared for the NAACP, reached similar conclusions: "The root of the problem is economic ... people of different nationalities do not naturally hate one another." A report from a Black Chicago lawyer to Walter White supported such views. It said that anti-Jewish feelings among Blacks focused on "Jewish merchants . . . who are regarded . . . as some sort of exploiters and as purveyors of inferior goods at extremely high prices " The NAACP and its tireless secretary, Walter White, did their utmost to distinguish between antisemitism, which they strongly rejected as "bigotry," and what they regarded as "a legitimate and understandable feeling" of resentment against "Jewish merchants in Negro neighborhoods, who charged high prices for inferior goods.

(For those who will try whataboutism, there is this)

Relations between the two groups before World War II were mainly of three kinds: Jewish employers/Black employees, Jewish landlords/ Black tenants, and Jewish small businessmen/Black customers. In these encounters the Jew appeared to the Blacks as exploiter and abuser, whether this was fact or stereotype. "The belief is widespread in the negro community," wrote a Black scholar in 1942, "that a large share of the exploiting landlords are Jewish." Discrimination against Blacks in employment and exploitation of Black labor were common charges against Jewish employers in the 1930s and 1940s. The so-called "slave market" in the Bronx became the symbol of Jewish maltreatment of Blacks. Nevertheless, in spite of the fact that the Jewish landlord, employer, and merchant had become "part of the folklore of black anti-Semitism in the 1930's and 1940's," a promising phenomenon emerged. A large Black organization-the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) strongly opposed the persecution of Jews in Germany and the spread of antisemitism in the United States. In fact, apart from the Jews, organized American Blacks were the only group to act promptly against Hitler's "reversion to barbarism" and to offer "condemnation of the unspeakable terror ... being inflicted upon the Jewish people in Germany . . . ."

Economic exploitation rather than racial prejudice was the dominant theme of Black antisemitism.45 Yet at the same time the latter was given a forward thrust by German propaganda and the popular exploitation of the Jew as national scapegoat. In fact, when examining Black response to Jewish persecution in Europe, one should take into account first, that white American society was generally indifferent to Jewish fate during the 1930's,46 and second that Black- Jewish relations had reached a disturbingly low point. Thus American Blacks could easily fit into the general American atmosphere of indifferent passivity in the face of Jewish suffering. In other words, given both the Blacks' own misery and the increased anti-Jewish feeling in white society,47 Black antisernitism would have been the expected behavior. Yet they chose a different path. Motivated not so much by tragic events for Jews as by their own interests, Blacks reacted immediately both to the racist implications of Nazism48 and more intensely still to the meaning for Blacks of Hitler's persecution of the Jews.

When white Americans were non-committal to what Hitler was doing to Jews, blacks stood with Jews even as some Jews were exploiting blacks to make money. Yet today we have Jews who sound like the racists who were excluding their entry into this country during WW2.

Oy!

He COULD afford them. He fed them and houses them, and they all grew up to be responsible adults.

Beyomd that, you complained about how Jews exploited blacks, and your REAL attitude toward Jews is now out. No wonder you don’t want to give Jews credit for moving from poverty to the middle class, and in the midst of terrible bigotry. Here I thought you were jusr annoyed because the Jews were showing how it can be done by making good choices and living responsibly. Now I know it’s because you harbor anti-Jew feelings.

So we’re done. But it now does make sense how you ignore some rabid racist comments by other posters, and instead zero in on the Jew to harass.
Lisa, don't confuse my dislike of you, with dislike of the Jewish people as a whole. I assure you they are not one and the same.

And I've warned you repeatedly about making false claims about me, now you're straying into my professional life with your lies. You won't get another warning.

No one has been complaining about the Jewish people or denying that they have been discriminated against while you on the other hand, constantly complain about "too many black people" doing this and being seen here and disproportionately to their population, etc. And you have admitted that you don't want to see "more black people" even though you tried to make it sound as if you not wanting to see more black people is okay because it's only because you don't think the way the playing field is being leveled is "fair", that it's being done at the expense of white people.

You're the one who is unhappy with the attention and recognition that black people are now finally beginning to receive. You've made your displeasure apparent repeatedly with all of grievances you've aired so now that people can see you for who you really are, of course you have to play the victim in all of this, but I'm not buying it, never have. I told you, your stories don't add up and you apparently don't care that they don't.

Lisa558 said:

OP started this thread to justify antisemitism among blacks, which is much more prevalent than among whites.

The fact of the matter is that Jews were willing to hire blacks when others would not, were willing to rent to them when others were not, and were willing to DIE for them, and did, marching alongside them during Civil Riguts.

No, that's not why I started the thread. I started it to show this history of racist practices by some of the members of the white Jewish community against blacks and how some do it now then whine about antisemitism when blacks fire back.

The facts of this article show that blacks stood with white Jews against Hitler when white gentiles didn't give a damn about you. My father fought in WW2 and took sniper fire helping to free your grandparents from Hitler and today I have to read your incessant racism against blacks.

You have the nerve to make WS comments then cry unfair when you're called on it. Then you want to post chapters of racism then whine about anti semitism.

Last edited:
No

What does this tell you? (I'm trying to illuminate a concept here)

The [White] Citizens' Councils used economic tactics against African Americans who they believed were supportive of desegregation and voting rights, as well as African Americans who were members of the NAACP, and African Americans who they suspected of being activists.​
The tactics included "calling in" the mortgages of black citizens, denying loans and business credit, pressing employers to fire certain people, and boycotting black-owned businesses.[25]
In some cities, the Councils published lists of names of NAACP supporters and signers of anti-segregation petitions in local newspapers in order to encourage economic retaliation.[26] For instance, in Yazoo City, Mississippi in 1955, the Citizens' Council published in the local paper the names of 53 signers of a petition for school integration. Soon afterward, the petitioners lost their jobs and had their credit cut off.[27] As Charles Payne puts it, the Councils operated by "unleashing a wave of economic reprisals against anyone, Black or white, seen as a threat to the status quo".[15] Their targets included black professionals such as teachers, as well as farmers, high school and college students, shop owners, and housewives.[13]
Medgar Evers' first work for the NAACP on a national level involved interviewing Mississippians who had been intimidated by the White Citizens' Councils and preparing affidavits for use as evidence against the Councils if necessary.[28] Evers was assassinated in 1963 by Byron De La Beckwith, a member of the White Citizens' Council and the Ku Klux Klan.[29]
The Citizens' Council paid Beckwith's legal expenses in his two trials in 1964, which both resulted in hung juries.[30] In 1994, Beckwith was tried by the state of Mississippi based on new evidence, in part revealed by a lengthy investigation by the Jackson Clarion Ledger; he was convicted of first-degree murder and sentenced to life in prison.[31]

The Sterling Shuffle: Unpacking White Jewish Racism

For years the mug of real estate mogul and L.A. Clippers owner Donald Sterling commanded prime ad space in the Los Angeles Times. Touting Sterling’s philanthropy, these ads often feature grinning photos of prominent African American politicians, religious leaders, and other glad-handing public figures who’ve received hefty donations from his financial empire. After TMZ revealed a recording of Sterling’s racist comments about black people to girlfriend V. Stiviano, President Obama and other dignitaries were swift to condemn him. On Monday it was “shockingly” revealed that Sterling, who is Jewish, went the extra mile with his racism in the recording, contending that “the blacks are treated like dogs” in Israel to Stiviano. Responding to her criticism of this claim, Sterling reiterated that “the black Jews” are “less than” white Jews and that that is the way it should be.

Anti-black racism among white Jewish people is a seldom discussed aspect of the complicated arc of black-Jewish relations in the U.S. Yet Sterling’s comments are noteworthy because they not only highlight the white supremacist bent of Israeli anti-African sentiment but the social construction of Jewish whiteness. Echoing rancher Cliven Bundy’s recent references to blacks thriving under slavery, Sterling expressed the paternalistic view that he “supports” blacks on the team by giving them clothes, houses, and cars. He then blasts Stiviano for comparing anti-black racism and discrimination to the Jewish Holocaust. Implicit in this shutdown is the notion that Jewish suffering under the Holocaust precludes consideration of how white Jews have benefited from institutional and systemic racism.

The illusion of lockstep black-Jewish solidarity on liberal political coalition-building has long masked the reality of white Jewish privilege and investment in white supremacy. This is especially relevant to Sterling (who tellingly changed his name from Tokowitz to the more Anglicized Sterling) because he is a multi-millionaire developer who has also been the subject of two federal racial discrimination lawsuits involving tenants of color.

In her book How Jews Became White Folks and What That Says About Race in America, Karen Brodkin notes that Jews contrasted themselves with the specter of a “mythic blackness”. Deeply ingrained racial stereotypes of shiftless, lazy, culturally pathological and mentally enslaved blacks—versus “hard working” immigrants streaming through Ellis Island in search of opportunity—have always been a subtext of the American dream. Hence, “mythic blackness” implicitly signified social dysfunction and downward mobility—i.e., the antithesis of American notions of rugged individualism and bootstraps uplift.

This divide allowed Jewish, Irish and other reviled, provisionally white ethnic immigrants to highlight and capitalize on their (relative) whiteness. As Salomon Gruenwald notes in a review of Brodkin’s book, “Jews did not become white because they succeeded in spite of racism, rather, they succeeded because of white racism.

Perhaps you need to take a more realistic look at this. And please stop trying to describe the experience of blacks in America from the perspective of a white person who has not ever experienced being black whose opinions are shaped by reading blacks who are disliked by 99 percent of the blacks in America for their views only because they tell you what you want to hear.
replace the word blacks with whites, then white with black.

Lisa, don't confuse my dislike of you, with dislike of the Jewish people as a whole. I assure you they are not one and the same.

And I've warned you repeatedly about making false claims about me, now you're straying into my professional life with your lies. You won't get another warning.

No one has been complaining about the Jewish people or denying that they have been discriminated against while you on the other hand, constantly complain about "too many black people" doing this and being seen here and disproportionately to their population, etc. And you have admitted that you don't want to see "more black people" even though you tried to make it sound as if you not wanting to see more black people is okay because it's only because you don't think the way the playing field is being leveled is "fair", that it's being done at the expense of white people.

You're the one who is unhappy with the attention and recognition that black people are now finally beginning to receive. You've made your displeasure apparent repeatedly with all of grievances you've aired so now that people can see you for who you really are, of course you have to play the victim in all of this, but I'm not buying it, never have. I told you, your stories don't add up and you apparently don't care that they don't.
I‘vr never mentioned your personal life, and yet you are saying I am the one making up lies. Please stop attacking me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back