What do you think of this idea?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

phoenyx

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2016
Canada
After a long discussion with flacaltenn, one of the mods here, I've decided to go public with an idea. He said (and I quote): "We're always around with the fire extinguishers and the Hazmat suits if it doesn't go well."

So there's that :).

My idea is create a new forum for atleast a few non mods who are interested in why mods make decisions if they get to pick which people are included. flacaltenn said they'd be tarred and feathered if the mods got to pick them outright, so I'm thinking maybe non mods would vote for who they would want in this forum, and the mods would have the power to veto anyone if a majority of mods didn't want that person in the group.

Perhaps these individuals could be called "Ambassadors", clearly not mods (no power to alter/delete posts/threads), but being able to see a little more then normal non mods in that they can question any decision a mod makes in a special forum that only they and mods can participate in.

As to their selection, first we could start with a number: there are apparently 7 mods, so perhaps there could be 7 Ambassadors, atleast for starters. Here's how I think it could work- prospective Ambassadors could put their hat in the ring by saying they'd be interested in being one. Let's say we give a week to people stepping up as prospective Ambassadors.

An Ambassador would need a certain amount of people to vouch for them to even be seriously considered. I'm not sure what that number should be, would like to see how many votes initial candidates get to be able to come with up with a good number. Once the serious contenders are chosen, we could start making polls for individual candidates. Note that we don't need to even have 7 candidates right away. If there are only 1 or 2 serious contenders for starters, that would be fine, if other serious contenders come later, they could get polls done then.

Next, a thread is made, with the names of all of the candidates. Voters would engage in ranked voting, of the instant run off variety with as many ranks as there are candidates (because the 'serious contender' can be set at whatever level, it could be made to make sure that there are no more than, say, 14 contenders).

Finally, once the top serious contenders have been chosen, mods would have the ability to veto any given choice if a majority of mods felt that a candidate would not be suitable to be an Ambassador.

So, what do you people think?

Ah, another layer of know-nothing, self important bureaucrats usmb style...that will turn out well, I'm sure.

Ah, another layer of know-nothing, self important bureaucrats usmb style...that will turn out well, I'm sure.

Well, I see that my idea is off to a lame duck start, lol :p. Come on, these wouldn't be bureaucrats, they would be grassroots politicians, elected and all. And I doubt anyone will be receiving any campaign funds, so we don't need to worry about rich interests who are pulling all the strings :). Perhaps more importantly, elections could be held a lot more often- every month perhaps. You know, to make sure that the Ambassadors are responsive to the people and all. Ofcourse, it's possible that few if anyone would -want- to be an Ambassador. Perhaps I'd be the only one even interested. Who knows. I'd like to find out though :). Oh another thing, if the mods liked a given Ambassador, they might eventually put him or her on the shortlist for a mod position. There are 7 mods here, so atleast I can say that some people like being mods :).

Last edited:
I voted no because a mod or admin's first and only duty is to hold to the TOA/TOS. Putting another layer between mods and members while it MIGHT insulate the mods better would only add questions to the honesty of those folks you suggest.

That would Not help the mods or those members you suggest. The rules here are pretty well defined and all you have to do is ask.

After a long discussion with flacaltenn, one of the mods here, I've decided to go public with an idea. He said (and I quote): "We're always around with the fire extinguishers and the Hazmat suits if it doesn't go well."

My idea is create a new forum for atleast a few non mods who are interested in why mods make decisions if they get to pick which people are included. flacaltenn said they'd be tarred and feathered if the mods got to pick them outright, so I'm thinking maybe non mods would vote for who they would want in this forum, and the mods would have the power to veto anyone if a majority of mods didn't want that person in the group.

Perhaps these individuals could be called "Ambassadors", clearly not mods (no power to alter/delete posts/threads), but being able to see a little more then normal non mods in that they can question any decision a mod makes in a special forum that only they and mods can participate in.

As to their selection, first we could start with a number: there are apparently 7 mods, so perhaps there could be 7 Ambassadors, atleast for starters. Here's how I think it could work- prospective Ambassadors could put their hat in the ring by saying they'd be interested in being one. Let's say we give a week to people stepping up as prospective Ambassadors.

An Ambassador would need a certain amount of people to vouch for them to even be seriously considered. I'm not sure what that number should be, would like to see how many votes initial candidates get to be able to come with up with a good number. Once the serious contenders are chosen, we could start making polls for individual candidates. Note that we don't need to even have 7 candidates right away. If there are only 1 or 2 serious contenders for starters, that would be fine, if other serious contenders come later, they could get polls done then.

Next, a thread is made, with the names of all of the candidates. Voters would engage in ranked voting, of the instant run off variety with as many ranks as there are candidates (because the 'serious contender' can be set at whatever level, it could be made to make sure that there are no more than, say, 14 contenders).

Finally, once the top serious contenders have been chosen, mods would have the ability to veto any given choice if a majority of mods felt that a candidate would not be suitable to be an Ambassador.

You have a lot of time on your hands....... don'tcha..........

The OP has never seen or been part of a mod war. It is CAUSED by adding that extra layer. Our current system works, maybe not the best or the smoothest but it works.

The OP has never seen or been part of a mod war. It is CAUSED by adding that extra layer. Our current system works, maybe not the best or the smoothest but it works.
Well that sort of depends on what you mean when you say "works".

But it's unlikely adding fake mods to the fake mods we already have is going to simplify anything lol.

What is the criteria in selecting these "ambassadors"?

Is there an educational requirement;

Min Max Age;

Life experience;

Political leaning;

Sense of humor;

gender;

Height;

Weight;

Personal hygiene.

But it's unlikely adding fake mods to the fake mods we already have is going to simplify anything lol.
The current system can be confusing but adding is not clearing.
To make it more clear the OP should cite the rule and place it in an OP in the A&F section.

That way EVERY member can ask and it can be clarified. The OP's suggestion is adding a new layer of crap that can cloud and NOT clarify the rule.

To make it more clear the OP should cite the rule and place it in an OP in the A&F section.

That way EVERY member can ask and it can be clarified. The OP's suggestion is adding a new layer of crap that can cloud and NOT clarify the rule.

What's confusing?

When they roll onto their backs you scratch their tummies?

I know it's kinda bizarre, but hey, it works, and that's all that really matters.

Kibble helps too

Just sayin

Can be confusing? You're kidding....... right? The rules couldn't be any clearer, unless one is a complete moron and can't handle big words like 'no'..........

I thought that's what I said lol.

I'm not voting until I see what kind of neat jackets they get to wear.

No jacket, no deal!
2141829_straight-jacket.jpg

Laugh :). I thought it might be a good idea. Ah well, guess I'll just have to be an unofficial Ambassador, asking mods why they make decisions and then reporting it to someone who was curious. That's how all of this got started by the way :p.

I'm not voting until I see what kind of neat jackets they get to wear.

No jacket, no deal!

I can be bribed to vote for people with offers of my favourite Krug, PM me if you want details :smoke:

Well if the men here are involved, I refuse to even communicate with any of them in this capacity unless they're correctly attired.

Pre-6pm, and no wing-collars please.

Dinner%20jacket%20and%20trousers.jpg

Post 8pm, white tie, tailcoat, wing collar.

DSCF2927.jpg

What is the criteria in selecting these "ambassadors"?

Is there an educational requirement;

Min Max Age;

Life experience;

Political leaning;

Sense of humor;

gender;

Height;

Weight;

Personal hygiene.

I was thinking simple popularity would do. It's how we elect presidents. Ranked voting is a step up from what happens in most democratically elected countries in my view. The difference here is that mods would have veto power over anyone they felt they wouldn't be able to work with. The current system works, even if imperfectly, which is why I think it makes sense for that system to have veto power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back