A Blueprint for Immigration Reform

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
I could support this proposal. Wonder why our elected representatives in Congress can't come up with anything as sensible as this?

Here's Blueprint for Congress on Immigration Reform
By Lee Hamilton, The Indianapolis Star
November 7, 2006

This year, 2006, will be remembered in part as the year that immigration vaulted to the forefront of American politics. As attempts at reform stalled in Congress, there is agreement on one point: The status quo is unacceptable, and dramatic reform is necessary.

Over the last year, I co-chaired a task force on "Immigration and America's Future" with former Sen. Spencer Abraham. The context for our work is one of the most intense and sustained periods of immigration, legal and illegal, in American history. In our recently released report, we try to address the diverse issues, be they related to economic, security, or social concerns.

We found that immigration enables growth and innovation, as our economy creates more jobs than native-born workers can fill. Immigrants also bring unique and diverse skills and experiences, making America more competitive and dynamic.

Yet there are grave challenges. Our complex immigration system is outdated and unable to meet the demands of the economy or immigrants who play by the rules. The presence of nearly 12 million unauthorized immigrants poses security risks, burdens local governments, prevents immigrant integration, and can undercut native workers.

We concluded that immigration is essential to U.S. interests. To maximize the benefits and minimize the strains caused by immigration, our task force recommends a new immigration policy and system. Our proposal is comprehensive and establishes rules that are simplified, fair, practical and enforceable.

for full article:
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006611070324

• Thanks
Reactions: CSM
WOW! Something that makes sense...heck, I'd even consider voting for a Democrat if they ran on this (among other things). They would have to convince me they would really do it though.

Lee Hamilton is a Democrat. Spencer Abraham is a Republican. Their proposal just goes to show you that, when Republicans and Democrats try to work together, they can come up with terrific solutions to the nation's problems. Why do we, as a people, put up with the confrontational politics constantly being waged in Washington instead of demanding that both parties work together to find solutions to our problems?

This actually looks like a decent plan. Of course, id like to see more specifics. but i could get on board with something like this if they enforced the borders.

That would be fine, but the problem is not and never has been those entering legally. It's the illegals that are the problem.

The need to stop special interest groups and a need to stop haggeling about the real issue. Immigration reform and keeping the illegals out from whatever country they come from. When the American people realize that it isn't just Mexico where the borders are out of control but our whole country including our seaports and airports as well.

First, we recommend that immigration take place through three streams: temporary, provisional and permanent. This system would greatly simplify our current visa categories and procedures. Temporary visas would be issued for short-term visits and jobs, such as seasonal employment. Provisional visas would allow employers to recruit immigrants for long-term jobs and enable permanent immigration after several years; this is preferable to a guest-worker program, which risks creating an underclass of people tied to individual employers with no opportunity for permanent residency. Permanent immigration would be available to those who apply directly for it and those who "graduate" from provisional status.

If a worker is hired long term, then why can't he become a permanent immigrant right from the start? Why do we need "guest workers" or "provisional" workers? Why not just temporary or permanent?

Second, immigration levels would reflect demand. Currently, our system does not allow enough legal immigrants to meet labor market or family unification demands. We propose a Standing Commission to make recommendations to Congress for adjusting immigration levels every two years. Our proposed system would set annual immigration levels at roughly 1.5 million, about 300,000 less than the number (legal and illegal) coming in today.

Would we be matching workers with the job market? If immigrants from India were preferable to do the work because they are more educated, then how would that stop the incoming flow of uneducated Mexican illegals? Also, how would this approach affect overall American wages?

Third, we recommend a comprehensive approach to enforcement. Immigrants must be given worker protections, and native-born workers must not have opportunities or wages diminished. Most prominently, employers must be held to a high standard of compliance with the law and must be given the tools to comply. To combat fraud and enable employers to verify legal status, a secure, biometric Social Security card should be required to establish eligibility to work. Efforts to secure the border, including new personnel, equipment and technology, should be accelerated, but we must understand that the border will not be secure if illegal employment remains readily available.

Only legal immigrants should be given worker protections. Targeting and punishing employers who hire illegals has been discussed by many as one of the main ways to stop incoming illegals.

Fourth, integration policies must be enhanced. Large pockets of unauthorized and isolated immigrant populations are in nobody's interests. Because it is impossible to locate, arrest and deport 12 million people, the most urgent need is for an earned path to legal status for unauthorized immigrants. We recommend registration for work eligibility, a background security check, English-language requirements, and payment of a substantial fine for illegally entering the country. Furthermore, we recommend coordination of integration policies, with emphasis on English-language instruction.
This is essentially the Bush plan...amnesty.

To combat fraud and enable employers to verify legal status, a secure, biometric Social Security card should be required to establish eligibility to work.

Does this bother anyone else but me? Biometric social security card? Is this the mark of the beast?

AdamsApple posts:

Our complex immigration system is outdated and unable to meet the demands of the economy or immigrants who play by the rules. The presence of nearly 12 million unauthorized immigrants poses security risks, burdens local governments, prevents immigrant integration, and can undercut native workers.

First of all, they AREN'T unauthorized immigrants, they're CRIMINALS.

We found that immigration enables growth and innovation, as our economy creates more jobs than native-born workers can fill. Immigrants also bring unique and diverse skills and experiences, making America more competitive and dynamic.

This has been a liberal talkings point for years, again, I don't belive the "unique and diverse skills and experiences" of the CRIMINALS crossing our boarders out weights the criminal mentality, disease, strain on our infrastructure, which include medical, emergency personal, and education.

GO HOME!:tank:

Does this bother anyone else but me? Biometric social security card? Is this the mark of the beast?

Yep, bothers me. I'm totally FED UP with the crime element forcing us Americans to lose our existing way of life. I'm with trobinett - why don't we STAMP OUT the damn criminals instead of letting crime put chains on us law-abiding citizens? :wtf:

If a worker is hired long term, then why can't he become a permanent immigrant right from the start? Why do we need "guest workers" or "provisional" workers? Why not just temporary or permanent?

Would we be matching workers with the job market? If immigrants from India were preferable to do the work because they are more educated, then how would that stop the incoming flow of uneducated Mexican illegals? Also, how would this approach affect overall American wages?

Only legal immigrants should be given worker protections. Targeting and punishing employers who hire illegals has been discussed by many as one of the main ways to stop incoming illegals.

Here's a suggestion. Send a copy of this proposal to your elected representatives in Washington with your questions, asking how they would solve what you see as problems with this proposal. Make them earn their money by thinking about something that really matters. This is a good proposal for discussion in Washington. Hamilton and Abraham have done a far better job of coming up with something to discuss than our elected reps.

Here's a suggestion. Send a copy of this proposal to your elected representatives in Washington with your questions, asking how they would solve what you see as problems with this proposal. Make them earn their money by thinking about something that really matters. This is a good proposal for discussion in Washington. Hamilton and Abraham have done a far better job of coming up with something to discuss than our elected reps.

I thought you wanted to discuss it. Actually, I don't agree with Hamilton and Abraham's proposal which is only a rehash of what's been discussed in Washington already. I'd rather see an approach more along these lines:

1. Set up an effective border to keep illegals out. (first stop the incoming)

2. Immigrants must either produce verifiable documentation to prove their LEGAL immigration status or else GET OUT. Set up a deportation system that will allow police to immediately send illegals out of the country.

3. Eliminate all government financial support of illegals. Institute laws that make it illegal to do business without proper proof of citizenship. Make driver's licenses/proper IDs difficult to get. (this will get rid of many more illegals and also provide funds for border control)

4. Prosecute and fine business owners that hire illegals. (this will get rid of the rest)

5. Then let Congress revamp our legal immigration system to adjust for immigration needs.

Hard nosed? Not really. Just enforcing the laws already on the books.

I thought you wanted to discuss it. Actually, I don't agree with Hamilton and Abraham's proposal which is only a rehash of what's been discussed in Washington already. I'd rather see an approach more along these lines:

1. Set up an effective border to keep illegals out. (first stop the incoming)

2. Immigrants must either produce verifiable documentation to prove their LEGAL immigration status or else GET OUT. Set up a deportation system that will allow police to immediately send illegals out of the country.

3. Eliminate all government financial support of illegals. Institute laws that make it illegal to do business without proper proof of citizenship. Make driver's licenses/proper IDs difficult to get. (this will get rid of many more illegals and also provide funds for border control)

4. Prosecute and fine business owners that hire illegals. (this will get rid of the rest)

5. Then let Congress revamp our legal immigration system to adjust for immigration needs.

Hard nosed? Not really. Just enforcing the laws already on the books.

Now, here is a REAL plan. One that address the REAL issues. Not one that tries to sugar coat what is a completely out of control situation.

We don't have a "problem" North of the boarder, there isn't a "problem" at our ports, NO ONE is causing a "problem" at our airports. The fucking "problem" is Mexico, MEXICO, MEXICO, and the criminals, that keep POURING across our SOUTHERN boarder.

WTF................:firing: :tank: :crutch: :smoke:

It’s a losing battle, people...

Sooner or later, we’ll become America’s majority ethnic group.

But it seems to me it’ll be the smoothest takeover in the history of mankind.

I believe anglos, blacks, indians and asians will be fully protected minorities in los Estados Unidos de America.

Listen trobinett...

Let’s have a serious conversation between a latino and a cherokee indian.

I know you and Dillo have wet dreams about shooting us in the ass when we enter US territory.

I strongly urge you to stop having these obnoxious phantasies to avoid our revenge when we become the majority group in the US.

We’ll show no mercy towards Dillo. As an anglo, he will be immediately executed cuz we didn’t forget his ancestors stole half of Mexico from us.

As an native american you will meet a kinder fate.

Since we are all brown people, we’ll be prepared to give you another chance.

We’re gonna forgive you for having phantasised about killing us when we crossed the Rio Grande...

BUT DON’T ABUSE OUR PATIENCE AND MAGNANIMITY OR YOU’RE GONNA END UP WITH A BULLET IN THE HEAD JUST LIKE DILLO!!!

: )

José;501528 said:
It’s a losing battle, people...

Sooner or later, we’ll become America’s majority ethnic group.

But it seems to me it’ll be the smoothest takeover in the history of mankind.

I believe anglos, blacks, indians and asians will be fully protected minorities in los Estados Unidos de America.

This nation won't exist if that ever comes to be. It'll just be another place infested by Mexicans and thier Third World lifestyle.

José;501530 said:
Listen trobinett...

Let’s have a serious conversation between a latino and a cherokee indian.

I know you and Dillo have wet dreams about shooting us in the ass when we enter US territory.

I strongly urge you to stop having these obnoxious phantasies to avoid our revenge when we become the majority group in the US.

We’ll show no mercy towards Dillo. As an anglo, he will be immediately executed cuz we didn’t forget his ancestors stole half of Mexico from us.

As an native american you will meet a kinder fate.

Since we are all brown people, we’ll be prepared to give you another chance.

We’re gonna forgive you for having phantasised about killing us when we crossed the Rio Grande...

BUT DON’T ABUSE OUR PATIENCE AND MAGNANIMITY OR YOU’RE GONNA END UP WITH A BULLET IN THE HEAD JUST LIKE DILLO!!!

: )

Bring it .... don't sing it. I assure you I'm a white as 'Dillo and I got a little something for ya ...... I WON'T be worth the price you pay to take.

Sounds Good on paper........

Attachments

• $untitled.JPG
    $untitled.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 68

I believe the topics of your 5 points are there for discussion in the thumb-nail sketch of the Hamilton-Abraham proposal. The details as to how any of this will be accomplished are not spelled out. I am assuming that will be the work of Congress. When it’s all said and done, I don’t believe that the 12 million illegals already here are going to be dealt with harshly. The best that we can hope for is that the criminal element will be deported, but I am not really expecting that to happen either. My foremost concern--and I think it is yours too--is that immigration laws be rigorously enforced in the future so that we don’t continue to have this problem.

No one has ever satisfactorily explained to me why the Border Patrol and other agencies responsible for enforcing our immigration laws didn’t do their jobs. What was the impediment? Why has no action of any kind been taken against Mexico for blatantly disrespecting our immigration laws? When I asked my elected reps, their response was that they’re investigating and collecting information. (ho hum) When I’ve mentioned this concern to the RNC—in response to the many questionnaires they send out—they don’t respond at all. It seems to me if you ask people for money to support your cause, you should at least try to provide answers to their concerns.

Because our immigration laws weren’t enforced, we will never know if the current laws would have been effective in stopping illegal immigration. We don’t even know where the snags in those laws might have been, so it’s back to the drawing board to address a myriad of problems created in large part by federal and local law enforcement looking the other way for unknown reasons.

Forum List

Back