A black man in Michigan tried to deposit checks at his bank. The manager called police

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
Although there are many who refuse to believe this (or just don't care that racial discrimination is still occuring in year 2020) I have plenty of first hand experience to the contrary.

I just read in the news yesterday that former Wells Fargo CEO John Stumpf has been barred from the banking industry for life after it was exposed that Wells Fargo employees were opening additional accounts of their existing customers without their knowledge or consent.

A black man in Michigan tried to deposit checks at his bank. The manager called police.

Ironically, the checks that Sauntore Thomas tried to deposit were from a settlement for a racial discrimination lawsuit against his former employer.
200124-sauntore-thomas-ew-1016a_a724169e049fac56a43d4d6e25133da8.fit-760w.jpg

Sauntore Thomas, right, and his lawyer, Deborah Gordon, left, on Jan. 23, 2020 in Bloomfield Hills,

Mich.Mike Householder / AP
Jan. 24, 2020, 8:51 AM PST
By Minyvonne Burke

An African American man who went to his local bank in Michigan to deposit checks had the police called on him by a branch manager suspecting fraud.

Ironically, the checks, totaling $99,000, that Sauntore Thomas, 44, sought to deposit at TCF Bank in Livonia were part of a court settlement for a racial discrimination lawsuit against his former employer.

Now Thomas, an Air Force veteran, has sued his bank's holding company, TCF Financial Corp., alleging racial discrimination.

The suit filed this week in Wayne County Circuit Court says Thomas has had a checking account at the bank since 2018, and he went there on Tuesday asking the branch manager to open a savings account for him so he could deposit the checks.

But the manager became suspicious that the checks were fraudulent and questioned Thomas about where he got them, the suit alleges.

The manager told Thomas that the checks would need to be verified, but that the computer system the bank uses to verify checks was not working. In order to complete Thomas' transaction, the manager said she would need to go in the back and "call in the checks," the suit says.

Instead of trying to verify the checks, the suit claims that the manager refused to deposit them and then went into the back to call Livonia police. Four officers arrived at the bank and questioned Thomas about the checks.

Thomas called his lawyer on the phone to have her verify where he got the checks from but that still did not satisfy the branch manager.

"Defendant still refused to deposit the checks," the suit states. "TCF Bank subsequently filed a police report against Plaintiff for check fraud."

Thomas eventually left the bank and went somewhere else to deposit his checks. The lawsuit claims that Thomas' race "was a factor in Defendant's decision to treat him less favorably than other individuals."

Thomas reiterated that sentiment during an interview with the The Associated Press.

“They did not want to assist me because I was African American. They didn’t want to assist me because they assumed that I had a fraudulent check, which was far from the truth," he told the outlet, adding, "This was no mistake."

A spokesman for TCF did not immediately return NBC News' request for comment. The bank told the Detroit Free Press in a statement that the police should not have been called on Thomas and that it apologizes for what happened.

“We strongly condemn racism and discrimination of any kind,” the bank said. “We take extra precautions involving large deposits and requests for cash, and in this case, we were unable to validate the checks presented by Mr. Thomas and regret we could not meet his needs.”

The lawsuit says Thomas was humiliated by the incident and suffered mental anguish and emotional distress. He is seeking damages.

A black man in Michigan tried to deposit checks at his bank. The manager called police.

I don't think it's racial discrimination, I think it a case of a hate filled stupid bitch.

Although there are many who refuse to believe this (or just don't care that racial discrimination is still occuring in year 2020) I have plenty of first hand experience to the contrary.

I just read in the news yesterday that former Wells Fargo CEO John Stumpf has been barred from the banking industry for life after it was exposed that Wells Fargo employees were opening additional accounts of their existing customers without their knowledge or consent.

Ironically, the checks that Sauntore Thomas tried to deposit were from a settlement for a racial discrimination lawsuit against his former employer.

Sauntore Thomas, right, and his lawyer, Deborah Gordon, left, on Jan. 23, 2020 in Bloomfield Hills,

By Minyvonne Burke

An African American man who went to his local bank in Michigan to deposit checks had the police called on him by a branch manager suspecting fraud.

Ironically, the checks, totaling $99,000, that Sauntore Thomas, 44, sought to deposit at TCF Bank in Livonia were part of a court settlement for a racial discrimination lawsuit against his former employer.

Now Thomas, an Air Force veteran, has sued his bank's holding company, TCF Financial Corp., alleging racial discrimination.

The suit filed this week in Wayne County Circuit Court says Thomas has had a checking account at the bank since 2018, and he went there on Tuesday asking the branch manager to open a savings account for him so he could deposit the checks.

But the manager became suspicious that the checks were fraudulent and questioned Thomas about where he got them, the suit alleges.

The manager told Thomas that the checks would need to be verified, but that the computer system the bank uses to verify checks was not working. In order to complete Thomas' transaction, the manager said she would need to go in the back and "call in the checks," the suit says.

Instead of trying to verify the checks, the suit claims that the manager refused to deposit them and then went into the back to call Livonia police. Four officers arrived at the bank and questioned Thomas about the checks.

Thomas called his lawyer on the phone to have her verify where he got the checks from but that still did not satisfy the branch manager.

"Defendant still refused to deposit the checks," the suit states. "TCF Bank subsequently filed a police report against Plaintiff for check fraud."

Thomas eventually left the bank and went somewhere else to deposit his checks. The lawsuit claims that Thomas' race "was a factor in Defendant's decision to treat him less favorably than other individuals."

Thomas reiterated that sentiment during an interview with the The Associated Press.

“They did not want to assist me because I was African American. They didn’t want to assist me because they assumed that I had a fraudulent check, which was far from the truth," he told the outlet, adding, "This was no mistake."

A spokesman for TCF did not immediately return NBC News' request for comment. The bank told the Detroit Free Press in a statement that the police should not have been called on Thomas and that it apologizes for what happened.

“We strongly condemn racism and discrimination of any kind,” the bank said. “We take extra precautions involving large deposits and requests for cash, and in this case, we were unable to validate the checks presented by Mr. Thomas and regret we could not meet his needs.”

The lawsuit says Thomas was humiliated by the incident and suffered mental anguish and emotional distress. He is seeking damages.

The lawsuit says Thomas was humiliated by the incident and suffered mental anguish and emotional distress.

upload_2020-1-24_16-31-14.jpeg

It happens to whites as well. To such a degree that the banks are protected:
Your bank may deny your items for deposit if they have reason to be suspicious. Suspicious items are covered in Regulation CC 229.13

The man himself may have been acting suspicious to further his discrimination career. Who knows. Regardless, it is legally, the banker's call. And with the amount at stake, I am sure the bank wanted to err on the side of the bank.
Banks are equal opportunity discriminators. They hate us all...

This guy could just quit his job and sue people the rest of his life, I guess.

It happens to whites as well. To such a degree that the banks are protected:
Your bank may deny your items for deposit if they have reason to be suspicious. Suspicious items are covered in Regulation CC 229.13

The man himself may have been acting suspicious to further his discrimination career. Who knows. Regardless, it is legally, the banker's call. And with the amount at stake, I am sure the bank wanted to err on the side of the bank.
Banks are equal opportunity discriminators. They hate us all...
Where in that code does it mention calling the police?

It is one thing to believe someone is engaged in fraudulent behavior, erroneous as your belief may be, and therefore refuse them service. It is an entirely different matter to publically and erroneously accuse them of fraudulent behavior and then call the police on them when they haven't engaged in any criminal behavior. This applies no matter what your race is. In this case however, the thing that the bank employee said she needed to do, which was to verify the validity of the checks, once it was provided, was still not enough, apparently even with the police there.

Absolute proof that it was racial discrimination? Well anything can be argued however unless the bank can provide an example of them having denied a white customer the right to open another deposit account in that or a similar substantial amount, then yeah it looks like racial discrimination in the sense that apparently she could not conceive of any scenario in which this black man could have that much money to deposit. It's not even like he was trying to cash the checks and walk out with it. She could have opened the account and put a long enough hold on the funds until they cleared to ensure that the bank would not be out of any money if there was anything untoward occurring but no, she had to falsely accuse him of a crime, in all likelihood because he's black and call the police on him.

And that's why they're being sued.

There are people in stores with video and audio surveillance who abuse customers. And some of the employees are black. Of course a couple of people with rifles have gotten the owners to toughen up the employees professionalism towards customers.

By Minyvonne Burke

Damn, thats really awful. I guess he is lucky that he wasnt beaten to death by a cheering mob of inner city teens. The racism he faced pales in comparison.

I don't think it's racial discrimination, I think it a case of a hate filled stupid bitch.
Some guy walks into the bank and wants to open a new savings account with $99,000 in checks. Of course it raised a big red flag.

Why wouldn't it?

90% of the time when somebody does shit like that it is fraudulent.

Some guy walks into the bank and wants to open a new savings account with $99,000 in checks. Of course it raised a big red flag.

Why wouldn't it?

I think all they would have to do is call the issuing bank, and problem solved.

Some guy walks into the bank and wants to open a new savings account with $99,000 in checks. Of course it raised a big red flag. Why wouldn't it?
He's not just some guy, he's one of their customers. He already had a checking account with them that was at least a year old and was attempting to use the checks to open a savings account. Normal bankers would be happy to have one of their existing customers wanting to deposit $99,000 into their institution. They get to use that money to make more money until the customer wants or needs it back.
Actually the opposite is true.

With limited exceptions, SARs (Suspicious Activity Reports) are used to report all types of suspicious activity affecting depository institutions, including but not limited to cash transaction structuring,4 money laundering, check fraud and kiting, computer intrusion, wire transfer fraud, mortgage and consumer loan fraud, embezzlement, misuse of position or self-dealing, identity theft, and terrorist financing. All SARs filed are centralized in a secure database that can be accessed by authorized users, including representatives from FinCEN, bank supervisory agencies, and law enforcement. These agencies rely on SARs for a number of different purposes; yet, whether FinCEN is analyzing the entire SAR database to identify trends or a law enforcement agent is following up on a single SAR, the integrity of the data is critical to the government’s efforts to fight criminal activity.

SAR Reporting Requirements
The U.S. Department of the Treasury’s financial recordkeeping regulations (31 CFR 103.18) require federally supervised banking organizations to file a SAR when they detect a known or suspected violation of federal law meeting applicable reporting criteria. FDIC Rules and Regulations (12 CFR 353) detail the SAR filing requirements that apply to state-chartered nonmember banks, including dollar amount thresholds, filing timelines, and record retention.a

Dollar Amount Thresholds – Banks are required to file a SAR in the following circumstances:
  • insider abuse involving any amount;
  • transactions aggregating $5,000 or more where a suspect can be identified;
  • transactions aggregating $25,000 or more regardless of potential suspects; and
  • transactions aggregating $5,000 or more that involve potential money laundering or violations of the BSA.
It is recognized, however, that with respect to instances of possible terrorism, identity theft, and computer intrusions, the dollar thresholds for filing may not always be met. Financial institutions are encouraged to file nonetheless in appropriate situations involving these matters, based on the potential harm that such crimes can produce. Even when the dollar thresholds of the regulations are not met, financial institutions have the discretion to file a SAR and are protected by the safe harbor provided for in the statute.b
FDIC: Supervisory Insights -Connecting the Dots…The Importance of Timely and Effective Suspicious Activity Reports

Although there are many who refuse to believe this (or just don't care that racial discrimination is still occuring in year 2020)

Yup, in 2020 emotionally troubled, hateful, ignorant humans still exist and sadly for mankind, most likely will always exist.

Jesse Lee Peterson, Mechee X, gazi kodzo.png

Who is raising & socializing perfectly health newborns maturing into angry, HATEFUL teen & adult citizens like this apparent emotionally troubled adult:

Jesse Lee Peterson gets DRAGGED by #ProBlack Revolutionary Gazi Kodzo

Jesse Lee Peterson gets DRAGGED by Black Revolutionary Gazi Kodzo - Streamable

Peace.

By Minyvonne Burke

Why is he smiling ? What's there to smile about ? Looks like he's hoping for some white pussy. I'm DEAD ASS serious.

They commit a blatant act of white supremacy and he's up here skinning and grinning from ear to ear. Stop your smiling. Be stone faced when your around these white supremacist bastards (And I include her) Ironically look how stone faced the white supremacist female is (I don't care she's his lawyer)

White supremacists like to play both sides of the fence when it comes to systematic white supremacy.

There was a white Brit called Jake Hanarahan. He wanted a pat on the bk because he said he exposed white supremacist group Atom Waffen but then found he was tied to Baked Alsaka and other white supremacists

There was a white girl called Lacy Green. She did a big video about how bad racism is and was.

Come to be revealed that she's dating a white supremacist group member in the Alt Right

There was a white women called Julie Ioffee. She front like she's some super liberal talking about how racist trump is

But then she was found out to be taken selfies all loved up with Richard /Spencer

DqkZysRX4AAwQk4.jpg

White supremacist play both sides

Don't let your guard down for a nanosecond just because a white person does something nice for you.

Just because someone does good, does not mean they're good.

Even the devil does good

Be stone faced at all times with these bastards.

PanthersUniform-750.jpg

_103823723_tommie_smith_getty2.jpg

p03t9wv4.jpg

tumblr_inline_p4cv0y5lX51ref2p1_540.png

Stone faced

Last edited:

Forum List

Back