A better way to crack down on illegal immigration

ihopehefails

VIP Member
Oct 3, 2009
The first thing I would do is to stop punishing people who hire illegals since that just drives it underground but make it so that if you hire someone who is not a citizen of the Untied States then you pay a 150% tax on their wages. This would discourage the hiring of illegals since the cost would be prohibitive but lets say an employer decided to hire an illegal anyways and just paid the tax on that employee. That employer would then have to report who he was paying that tax on and then the immigration authorities would know that person is a illegal. The arrest can be made. End of story.

I would like to add that a strong way to prevent illegal imigration is to make the process of becoming an American citizen quicker. Yes, we need to conduct appropriate background checks on anyone leaving or coming into the country temporarily and permanently. But, there are people who have been living and working in this country for years who are still undocumented. The faster we can effectively grant citizenship to those who wish to come here, the better. If the process were easier, we would be engouraging immigrants to come to this country legally and integrate into society rather than living in the shadows.

I would like to add that a strong way to prevent illegal imigration is to make the process of becoming an American citizen quicker. Yes, we need to conduct appropriate background checks on anyone leaving or coming into the country temporarily and permanently. But, there are people who have been living and working in this country for years who are still undocumented. The faster we can effectively grant citizenship to those who wish to come here, the better. If the process were easier, we would be engouraging immigrants to come to this country legally and integrate into society rather than living in the shadows.

This.

• Banned

I agree with this. The process should be more convenient so that someone wanting to come would think it is easier to apply rather than pay a coyote to haul them across the desert. That would help out.

The first thing I would do is to stop punishing people who hire illegals since that just drives it underground but make it so that if you hire someone who is not a citizen of the Untied States then you pay a 150% tax on their wages. This would discourage the hiring of illegals since the cost would be prohibitive but lets say an employer decided to hire an illegal anyways and just paid the tax on that employee. That employer would then have to report who he was paying that tax on and then the immigration authorities would know that person is a illegal. The arrest can be made. End of story.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I think this is a really bad idea.

1) Charging a 150% tax on the wages of non-citizens would effect immigrants who are here legally.

2) Do you honestly think that companies are going to pay any taxes on someone they are illegally employing under the table when the whole reason they are employing them under the table is to avoid taxes in the first place? You pass the tax and it will do absolutely nothing to stop illegal immigration. It will just stop legal immigration.

Much easier way is to make immigration easier but require anyone who came here illegally to return home and come back the legal way.

Punish business for hiring illegals. Jail the managers who do it. Fine the companies out the wahoo. Keep doing it. Guess what? They will stop: either stop hiring illegals or will end stop doing business.

Punish business for hiring illegals. Jail the managers who do it. Fine the companies out the wahoo. Keep doing it. Guess what? They will stop: either stop hiring illegals or will end stop doing business.

Start jailing just a few business owners and the jobs will dry up overnight.

The illegals will stream out of the country in the opposite direction

It is the business owners that created the problem by exploiting cheap labor. Let them pay the price

Another brilliant post.
Do you think employers do not already face sanctions for hiring illegals? Do you think they stick a sign out their doors "Illegals only"? How do they verify their legal status? The SS database is riddled with mistakes. How will you separate a computer glitch from a willful mistake?
Leftwinger is right about oen thing: jobs will dry up. For everyone.

The Rab points out the system is not being properly enforced and that identification is full of whole.

Enforce the law. National ID cards, including one for The Rabbi. Catch and send illegals home. Jail managers and break businesses that break the laws.

It can be done if We the People have the will. We don't.

The Rab points out the system is not being properly enforced and that identification is full of whole.

Enforce the law. National ID cards, including one for The Rabbi. Catch and send illegals home. Jail managers and break businesses that break the laws.

It can be done if We the People have the will. We don't.

You're right. We don't have the will to turn the U.S. into Nazi Germany where police ask "papers please".
We don't have the will to spend money fruitlessly deporting people who turn around and come right back.
We don't have the will to wreck our economy with job-killing anti immigrant proposals.

So wait a minute...motivated by greed but they'll hire illegals and pay MORE to hire them?

Think this concept needs some rethinking.

Pretty good ideas but my guess is that the immigration law coming down the pike will include few of them.

I'd be willing to let them stay if we discontinued birthright citizenship. That's the real incentive to come here For better or worse

Start jailing just a few business owners and the jobs will dry up overnight.

The illegals will stream out of the country in the opposite direction

It is the business owners that created the problem by exploiting cheap labor. Let them pay the price
Why should business owners be responsible for enforcing immigration law? I've never understood this...I should be able to hire ANYONE that I want.

Makes more sense to me to enforce prevailing wage laws and let people hire whom they please, pay them a decent wage and deduct the tax from their paycheck.

Another brilliant post.
Do you think employers do not already face sanctions for hiring illegals? Do you think they stick a sign out their doors "Illegals only"? How do they verify their legal status? The SS database is riddled with mistakes. How will you separate a computer glitch from a willful mistake?

Rab is wrong on this one as well. The jobs will open it for more legals if illegals are forced to leave because they cannot work.

Last edited:
I would go for a hybrid solution

Step 1. We are going to have to do some sort of amensty. Too many here already, Massive deporations would take forever in the courts. Make is so if a person can prove they were here 1 year before the amnesty date they can stay on a modifed green card.

Step 2: Once this amensty passes a ZERO ZERO ZERO tolerence policy, madated by law. Instant deportation in 1 week if you cannot prove you should be here. Heavy fines on anyone that hires an illigal. Increased border patrols. Anyone caught trying to get in 3 or more times gets to stay for 5 years, but in a work camp right near the border, and then you get shipped back again.

Step 3: Modify the birthright citizenship to require legal greencard status, not citizenship. Decrease citizenship requirements from 5 to 3 years to start.

Another brilliant post.

Rab is wrong on this one as well. The jobs will open it for more illegals if illegals are forced to leave because they cannot work.

Jake, why are you so stupid? Is it genetic?
How do you think the illegals got those jobs to begin with? Did the employer hang a sign that said "legal immigrants need not apply"?
The business will close and the jobs will be permanently lost. This is just obvious.

Rab, you are being stubborn to simply be stubborn even if you are wrong. This is why you fail in so many discussions. The issue is to enforce the laws. Enforce the laws, and the jobs will not try up. It means the companies will do what they are supposed to do. Or are you crying that they won't be able to do it and make a profit. You are very confused and far too often let your irrational, emotational side control you.

Rab, you are being stubborn to simply be stubborn even if you are wrong. This is why you fail in so many discussions. The issue is to enforce the laws. Enforce the laws, and the jobs will not try up. It means the companies will do what they are supposed to do. Or are you crying that they won't be able to do it and make a profit. You are very confused and far too often let your irrational, emotational side control you.

Jake, Jake. Every time you post you prove how clueless you really are. Do you think there are not laws that punish employers and forbid hiring illegals already on the books? What makes you think tougher laws will be even more enforced?
You are buying into the Obama-era fallacy of good intentions.

So let me ask again, how do you think companies end up with illegal workers? Do they post a sign saying "only the undocumented apply, please"?

The fallacy in your argument is that enforcement will try up jobs. That is flatly not true. Obviously, you are not in business in any way shape or form other than as an employee.

Forum List

Back